COODE ISLAND
COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE
COMMITTEE

 

Draft Adopted Minutes
Special Meeting

Thursday 9th
December, 2004

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin
Saunders
:

CICCC /
Chairperson

Quentin Cooke:

Env.
Protection Authority / Ex Off Comm

Ian Thomas:

Community
Rep. / CICCC Committee

Richard Marks

Env.
Protection Authority

Deborah
Macfarlane
:

Community
Rep./Committee

Colleen
Hartland

City of
Maribyrnong

Faye Simpson

Community
Member

Theo Pykoulas

City of
Maribyrnong

Michael
Isaachsen
:

Community
Rep./Committee

Ian Butterworth

Transport
Manager, City of Maribyrnong

Bro
Sheffield-Brotherton
Combined Enviro.
Groups / Committee

Sue
Chatterton

Minute Taker

George Horman:

Managing
Director, Terminals Pty Ltd

 

Peter LaRose:

Operations
Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

 

Michael Frost:

Operations
Superintendent, Terminals Pty Ltd

 

 

 

ITEM 1.      WELCOME
BY THE CHAIR

 

Robin         Welcomed
Michael Frost, Ian Butterworth and Richard Marks

 

ITEM 2.       APOLOGIES

 

Margaret Donnan, Carlo Fasolino, Chris Watts, Paul Hayward,

                   

ITEM 3.       CONFIRMATION
OF DRAFT AGENDA

 

                    Adopted

 

ITEM 4.       AGENDA
ITEM 7

 

Report from Council on
studies of truck impacts on local streets (presented by Ian Butterworth,
Transport Manager, Maribyrnong City Council)

 

Ian:             Ian presented two hand outs at the meeting. The first was an extract
from a        report to Council referring to the truck
curfews on Francis Street and                     Somerville
Road, and subsequent Truck Traffic Counts                     around
the Francis      Street – Somerville Road area. The
second was an extract from the      Maribyrnong Integrated
Transport Strategy – Freight Actions. Ian also     tabled
a full copy of “Moving Forward – Maribyrnong Integrated Transport           Strategy”

 

                    Ian
stated that council adopted an advocacy role whereby trying to sustain economic
growth whilst at the same time attempting to protect other users of the area
such as the residents, retailers, schools, etc.

 

                    Ian
also made everyone aware of the other groups that have an impact on the results
of the integrated transport strategy such as:

 

                    Yarraville
Working Group, chaired by Bruce Mildenhall, MP (success with trailer parks and
truck curfews)

                    Transport
Reference Group, chaired by Cr Janet Rice and Cr MacDonald, recently ran a
freight forum attended by 60 people

                    Metropolitan
Truck Operations Committee and the Victorian Road Freight Advisory Council (provides
advice to VicRoads).

 

                    Ian
referred to the newly released “Linking Melbourne — Metropolitan
Transport Plan” which can be found on the Department of Infrastructure
website (www.doi.vic.gov.au), which
emphasizes the importance of port and freight movement (see Section 4).

 

George:     Asked
if report looked into origin of freight transport as he suspected 60-70% would
be port related down Whitehall Street.

 

Robin:        Made
Ian aware that Footscray Road was not shown on map and that it is a huge truck
route.

 

Robin:        Thanked
Ian for his presentation and said committee was looking for an overview of the
results of integrated reports.

 

Michael:     Asked
whether government or Port Authority have encouraged transport by rail. Ian
answered currently 30% transport by rail with government raising target to 40%.

 

Michael:     More
infrastructure into route out of Footscray by rail was required as presently
limited to 2 tracks.

 

Robin:        Thanked
Ian for all information and thanked him for attendance.

 

 

ITEM 5:       AGENDA
ITEM 4

 

                    REPORTS
FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS

                   

                    ENVIRONMENT
PROTECTION AUTHORITY

                    Presented
by Quentin Cooke

 

Quentin:     Introduced
Richard Marks. Richard nominated to be new client manager for Terminals Pty
Ltd. Quentin now Group Leader for West Metropolitan Area.

 

Robin:        Welcomed
Richard to CICCC meetings.

 

Quentin:     Group
formed to develop trunk sewer on Coode Island.

 

Quentin:     Moreland
Street issue – Planning Permit, VCAT appeal.

 

Theo:          Tabled
a letter from the Mayor of the City of Maribyrnong to the Minister for
Planning, The Hon. Mary Delahunty MP expressing the council’s concern
about the decision to call in this appeal regarding the proposed development.
Theo also tabled the Terms of Reference for the VCAT Advisory Committee.
(Subsequent to the meeting, the Advisory Committee has been appointed, with
Kathy Mitchell (Chair), Ken McNamarra and Ian Potts (Members))

 

Robin:        The
99 Moreland Street raised the concern of bringing more intense development
closer to storage site. Buffer distances are an issue, and would Theo or
Colleen be able to advise how the matter came to council with no consultation
with the CICCC?.

 

Colleen:     Voted
against eh development due to proximity to site.

 

George:     Terminals
point of view agrees with the need for a buffer. The Port of Melbourne
Authority was conducting a buffer study. It is not primarily a safety issue
but noise and smells would restrict operability of business to development.
Not an appropriate development so close to port.

 

Robin:        CICCC
was not abreast of information which he felt was a failure of City of
Maribyrnong. CICCC would like to be alerted of issues in the future.

 

Colleen:     How
close for planning notice?

 

Robin:        1,000
metre contour has been cited in the past as a buffer for residential areas, and
would be logical.

 

Robin:        No
such thing as absolute safety for anything. Houses slowly encroaching on Port.

 

George:     Mentioned
that Carlo had access to a copy of the Fremantle Port Study and would ask him to
bring along to next meeting for discussion.

 

                    ACTION:
Carlo Fasolino

 

Colleen:     Community
groups have been asking for buffer zones for a long while without any success,
now the Chemical industry are asking for buffer zones because of this
development.

 

Quentin:     It
has taken this event to shake loose the studies into buffer zones. Need to
embrace all the precincts of the port not just Coode Island. What the land
adjoining the port can be used for ensuring an appropriate buffer between Coode
Island and sensitive uses.

 

Bro:             Mentioned
the Coode Island Report of 02/04/03 made reference to buffer zones.

 

Quentin:     EPA
view to 99 Moreland Street – concerns with site as it was an old gas
works site, highly contaminated land. Not appropriate development close to
Coode.

 

                    EPA
opinion case by case consideration of side by side development.

 

Colleen:     What
was council to do if responsible authorities will not make an objection.

 

Robin:        What
advise will EPA be giving to advisory committee. Has EPA already started to
prepare issues. Does EPA intend to submit to advisory committee evidence of
buffer zone.

 

Quentin:     Permitted
“as of right” use of land. Zoning not appropriate.

 

Robin:        EPA
needs to put case where EPA puts that it is an inappropriate development.

 

Quentin:     Population
density around Coode Island – people per hectare around the clock.
Altona population density controls around industry the only industry in state
to do so.

 

Robin:        Proper
studies to be initiated regarding risks. Is EPA going to firmly come out to
advisory committee regarding position of EPA.

 

Robin:        Studies
to be put on public submission to allow comment.

 

Bro:             Process
of appraisal.

 

Robin:        Write
to the advisory committee regarding processes we would like to see put into
place.

 

Colleen:     Item
20 – 8 weeks after the last hearing. Short amount of time – a real
concern. Studies required before submission.

 

Faye:          Morbidity
data in relation to buffer zones. Would this information come into framework
when conducting studies?

 

Quentin:     Concerns
of the “big bang” effect of QRA rather than morbidity rate.

 

Quentin:     Concerns
to amenity issues – smells and noise. Issue Victorian WorkSafe Authority
– hazard and risk associated with industry. Further technical studies
need to be done.

 

Deborah:   EPA does have a
duty to speak up.

 

Michael:     Only
able to say poor planning and inappropriate position.

 

Robin:        EPA
needs to make a strong comment to Advisory Council.

 

Robin:        Write
to Advisory Committee outlining our concerns about process as well as issues.
Committee should seek expert reports to be made public and allow time to
respond to reports.

 

                    ACTION:
Robin to write to committee

 

George:     Problem
with the advisory committee is it is not known who is on committee format and
who they are to receive submissions from.

 

Bro:             Need
to put something in first – not a good process.

 

George:     Task
Force 1998 vague reference to buffer zone.

 

Robin:        Write
to committee seeking to know process. Need studies to assess risks. Need to
see output of study. Reply by mid January 2005.

 

                    ACTION:
Robin to write to committee

 

                    TERMINALS
PTY LTD

                    Report
by George Horman

 

George:     Short
overview of recent events

 

  1. 1.   
    Kaneb have been taken over by Volero
    Energy. Largest refiner of crude oil in USA. Valero LP are taking over
    Kaneb 25% and the rest in public ownership.
  2.  

    1. 2.    Further 3 month extension East side close 31st
      March 2005.
    2.  

      1. 3.    Demolition tender has gone out to contractors end of January
        2005. Dig and remove – presentation at next meeting. Independent
        auditor to convince EPA that Terminals has fully remediated land for
        Port use.
      2.  

                            ACTION:
        Present remediation plan next meeting.

         

        1. 4.    Marstell are due to commission plant January 2005, liquid
          free 28th February, 2005. One more month extension possible
          if required. Peter La Rose stated not able to get a straight answer
          from Marstell.
        2.  

          1. 5.    EIP 4 year Environment Improvement Plan to be presented at
            the next meeting, along with other unfinished business on the agenda.
          2.  

            1. 6.    The relocation of nine tanks from the West Side to the
              East Side went smoothly, and reconstruction of the tanks is going
              well.
            2.  

               

              ITEM
              6:       AGENDA ITEM 11

               

                                  NEXT
              SCHEDULED MEETING

               

                                  NEXT
              MEETING:           THURSDAY
              3RD FEBRUARY, 2005 AND MAY                     ADJUST
              24TH FEBRUARY, 2005 MEETING.

               

               

              MEETING CLOSED: 9.00pm

               

              Next meeting: 3rd
              February, 2005

              Following meeting:
              24th February, 2005