COODE  ISLAND  

COMMUNITY CONSULTATIVE  COMMITTEE

Adopted Minutes

Thursday 8 May 2003


PRESENT

Ian Thomas 
  community rep./ CICCC committee
Carlo Fasolino 
  State Man. Terminals P/L / committee
Dr Peter Brotherton 
  Combined Enviro. Groups / committee
Colleen Hartland
  Councillor City Maribyrnong /committee
Deborah Macfarlane 
  community rep./ committee
Paul Haywood
  Operations Man Termls. P/L / committee
Margaret Donnan
  Manager Reg. Aff. PACIA / committee
Faye Simpson
  community rep./ CICCC committee
Michael Isaachsen 
  community rep./ committee
Jarrod Edwards 
  WorkCover / ex off comm
Paul Swain
  MFB / ex off comm
Bronwyn Brookman Smith 
  MH Div / WorkSafe/ex off comm
Quentin Cooke
  Env. Protection Authority / ex off comm
John Luppino 
  City of Maribyr, GM City Dev 
Vanessa Richardson 
  minute taker
 

ITEM 1. WELCOME BY THE CHAIR

* Ian Thomas volunteered to chair the meeting while Robin is over seas. He
welcomed the committee members and others including the new members – Paul
Swain from MFB and Colleen Hartland, Councillor Maribyrnong City Council (MCC).

 

ITEM 2. APOLOGIES

* Apologies were received from George Horman.

ITEM 3. CONFIRMATION OF THE DRAFT AGENDA

* The draft agenda was adopted with the following additions

• Lease extension discussion – Quentin.

• Frequency of Meetings

• Coode Island Users Group attendance and the CICCC

 

ITEM 4. BRIEF REPORT FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS ON KEY ISSUES

4.1 MFB Report

* Jarrod reported on behalf of the MFB. The MFB did not have any need for
contact with Terminals P/L during the previous month.


· In response to Deborah’s query Jarrod said that the MFB have
requested, as part of comment on the Environment Improvement Plan (EIP), that
Terminals continue to investigate opportunities to enhance vehicular access as
part of any upgrade of the site. The MFB will also request that ongoing
enhancement of vehicle access is monitored as part of WorkSafe’s MHF licence
oversight activities. The installation of water deluge systems on clustered
tanks has increased the tank fire management potential where limited vehicle
access may prohibit manual fire fighting activities.

Carlo said the present upgraded fire fighting facilities are about 3 times
more than are required by the regulations covering fire-fighting requirements
in these situations. He said vehicle access to tanks was different to the
matter of space between tanks. The vehicle access to strategic areas is most
relevant when accessing and fighting a fire. He said that a fire at Coode
Island can be combated.

Deborah asked about the difference between the strategic points that
existed in the 1991 fire (which the coroner said must be improved) and those
that exist on the site today. She also asked if on a case by case basis it
made any difference to a fire hazard, which materials were stored in which
tank, relative to the other materials stored in nearby tanks.

Paul Haywood said the area along the riverbank is more accessible than in
1991. This allows vehicles to move along the riverbank and not amongst the
tanks to the same extent as previously. Tank content, including ‘plume
modelling are calculated for each tanks. The further inclusion of firm ground
underneath for vehicles in wet conditions could be further improved. The
Safety Case considered worst case scenarios which have been covered by that
report.

Carlo added that the container park has been moved so that access would be
improved.

 

ACTION. Paul Swain will take on notice a query about the width of the vehicle
access gaps between the tanks (as noted by Trevor Perkins at a previous CICCC
meeting). He will get a list of any fire fighting operational problem areas so
they can be followed up by the CICCC over time.

ACTION. Jarrod (in association with the MFB) will list for the next meeting
the items in the EIP submission made by the MFB.

ACTION. WorkSafe will report to the CICCC in July on the finalised site plan
for the terminal.

 

* Peter said that the CICCC have not had a recent tour of the Terminals
site. He suggested that the CICCC full committee visit the site twice a
year.

Quentin suggested that the on site tours coincide with milestone
achievements in the EIP.

ACTION. Next CICCC meeting on 12 June 2003.

4.30pm Gate 1 Terminals Site on Coode Island

Tour of the site followed by CICCC meeting



* In answer to Faye’s questions Paul Swain said that all Major
Hazard facilities like Terminals P/L are graded by the MFB as having
the highest priority. When fighting a fire on a specific site they use the
written information in the Emergency Information Book, prepared by the
facility in conjunction with the MFB, held in a cabinet on site for each
facility. The combustors on site are not considered to present Terminals as
a greater risk in relation to emergency response. An emergency incident is
managed according to the conditions at the time, with the safety of the
fire-fighters being paramount.

Ian said it could be useful for the public to also have the detailed
Emergency Information book material that is available to the fire fighters.

In response to a statement made by Ian, Paul said that the public are kept
away from emergency incidents to ensure their safety and not because the fire
fighters are trying to hide any aspects of their emergency response.

Paul said the Safety Case and the Emergency Plan were developed in
consultation with the MFB over a period of 18 months. He said opportunities
have been made for everyone to have input and their comments have been noted
and planned for.

Bronwyn said that MFB have predetermined assignment of vehicles based on an
assessment of different facilities.

Jarrod added that this Assignment Rule has not changed since the combusters
have been installed but it has been changed on other occasions as needed, like
when McKenzie Road was upgraded and water supply from town main water was
temporarily isolated. Comparatively, more appliances are initially sent to
Coode Island than for instance to a suburban house.

Paul said each individual fire is approached uniquely according to its
particular features. These always vary from fire to fire. However the priority
of fire brigade intervention activities follows the same following steps:

1. SIZE UP. Go and assess the fire, develop response strategy and bring in
the necessary units to fight the fire.

2. RESCUE.

3. EXPOSURE


4. CONFINEMENT

5. EXTINGUISHMENT

6. FIRE DUTY (CLEAN UP).

n answer to Colleen’s question Bronwyn said that Safety Cases are not
made available to the public for security reasons. Regulation 505 of the MHF
Regulations requires that the local community is provided with information
concerning the safety of the MHF. This information is held in the local
community and public libraries.

The information includes the following:


· The name and location of the facility and the name, position
and phone number of the contact person from whom further information can be
obtained


· A general description of the operations of the facility, a
description of the Schedule 1 materials present or likely to be present at
the facility, the hazards and major incidents and the consequences of a
major incident


· The means by which the local community will be notified of the
occurrence of a major incident and the action that members of the local
community should take in the event of a major incident occurring.

Jarrod said that members of the community can request additional
information concerning safety directly from the MHF. The facility may choose
to leave out the confidential information. The regulations put the onus on the
operator to state why certain information cannot be made available to the
community.

Ian commended the EPA on their process which makes information available to
the public. He said that the CICCC have concerns that the Dangerous Goods
documentation makes less information available for public scrutiny.

ACTION. Carlo will give a copy of the safety case to Colleen. There is one
copy in the CICCC library.

 

4.2 EPA Report



* Quentin said this month the EPA approved Terminal’s EIP. It
operates for the next three-year period.

* They responded to the Bund Report which Terminals submitted during the
month. Terminals presented their bund report at a previous meeting.

 

4.3 WorkSafe Report


 

* Bronwyn said WorkSafe made the necessary follow-ups on the forklift
operator return to work program .

* Quentin said DIIRD held a meeting to discuss the lease extension. She
said that work on the Marstel site commenced 2 months ago. It will take 14
months to complete the construction. It is not yet determined when the
transfer of materials will occur, or precisely when the remediation of the
E-side of McKenzie Road will commence. She said the Terminals lease can be
extended as a way of negating a gap to storage.

Quentin said there will be another meeting with DIIRD in the next month to
finalise the timelines for the completion of the construction of the Marstel
site. It is planned that the changeover will be well coordinated and
harmonious and without any gaps in storage.

In answer to Colleen’s question about possible serious consequences if
there is a gap in storage arrangements, Carlo said that Terminals will
continue at present with the storage of materials until Jan 2004. Marstel are
scheduled to complete construction in May 2005. He
said Terminals will consider operating the E-side until the Marstel facility
is completed. There are implications for the Terminals Safety Case.

Quentin said those who attended the meeting included PPC, DIIRD, EPA,
chemical companies and Terminals P/L.

Peter noted that those who would hold the lease beyond 2005- Marstel P/L,
were not invited to the recent DIIRD meeting? He noted that a 3rd extension of
time will result in a further cost which will be met by the public purse.

Ian suggested the CICCC write to DIIRD stating concerns about the gap.

Deborah asked if the state government would fund the costs of the gap?

ACTION. When Robin returns the CICCC will revisit the issue of a possible
letter to DIIRD re the storage time gap issue.

 

 

4.4 Maribyrnong City Council Report



* John Luppino reminded the CICCC that he had e-mailed the Community Alert
Project draft brochure to everyone during the month. As yet he has not
received any comments from the CICCC. It is anticipated that the brochure will
be updated and mailed out to everyone in the community every 2 years and it
will be provided in all ‘new residents’ kits.

Faye suggested that the document include a date to identify when it was
last updated. Current information will be vital for residents.

John added that different colours for the updated versions might also be
used.

ACTION. John will resend the e-mail containing the draft brochure to
everyone.

Colleen reminded the CICCC that HazMAG first requested fridge magnets 11
years ago. She suggested they contain information rather than graphics and
that a square shape might be preferred. Due to the redistribution of
boundaries, the Hobsons Bay area now includes the Mobil P/L facility.

John suggested that everyone necessary, despite boundaries, should get
the relevant information.

* John said the MCC have secured government funding for the council
emergency telephone-messaging project. Expatite P/L are developing the
software for the project which will be used by MCC, the fire brigade and the
police. The system will be trialed in the next few weeks.

ACTION. CICCC members to contact Theo if they wish to be included in the
trials (as mentioned above) during the coming month.

ACTION. John to take on notice the cost of the project.

 

 

4.5 Terminals P/L Report



* Paul Haywood gave the Terminals monthly report.

The report attachment will be in the next June mailout.


The following points were made-

• Hose handling equipment is required to avoid operator injuries.

• An alarm system will be installed to notify of any future burnouts in
the wiring as occurred in the fire panel.

• George is in the USA looking at similar operations.

• EPA personnel have been on the site during the month.

• Results of the air/water monitoring not available this month.



 

 

ITEM 5. CONFIRMATION OF THE MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING


10 April 2003.

* Include apologies from Carlo and Peter.

* The CICCC requested that in future individual’s names be attributed to
all the minuted statements.

 

 

ITEM 6.


CORRESPONDENCE OUT

* Defer to the next meeting.

 

 

ITEM 7.




CORRESPONDENCE IN

* Defer to the next meeting.

 

 

ITEM 8. ACTION ITEMS FROM THE PREVIOUS MEETING


8.1 Advertising for the new committee members.

This matter is to be actioned by Robin on his return.

* Peter said there should be more community representatives on the CICCC as
they add value to the committee. The CICCC need to develop a structured
process of assessing the CICCC’s functions and any gaps that need to be
filled by representatives to accomplishing these things.

He said he has to get feedback from the community reps and feed that
information back to the Combined Environment Group which he represents. In the
past when they were members of the CICCC, HazMAG and the Kensington Group reps
feed their community’s information to me via the CICCC. Representatives of
these groups are no longer on the CICCC.

Deborah said that CICCC member volunteers were called for at the last
Kensington Residents meeting. She has recently become a member of the
Kensington Group. She will give them summaries of the CICCC as required.

Ian said the reps who represent other community groups get two lots of
sitting fees – one for attendance at the CICCC and one for attendance and
reporting to and fro at their community group meetings.

John said the community survey indicated that the community saw HazMAG as
the main group representing their needs in this matter.

Peter asked if HazMAG was ceasing operations soon or not?

Faye said that the wider Melbourne metropolitan area residents also had an
interest in Terminals Coode Island activities. There could be many individual
responses to the advertisement from the wider metropolitan area.

ACTION. Peter will discuss the wording of the advertisement with Robin and
bring a draft to the next meeting. ‘Local’ input is to be the focus of the
advertisement.

 

 

8.2 CICCC Meeting Frequency




Peter questioned the proposed change of frequency as discussed at the
last meeting. He said experience told him that if the frequency were changed
the meetings would disappear.

Other CICCC members agreed with Peter’s comments.

 

 

8.3 Attendance at Coode Island Users Group meetings.




Peter said the invitation to the CICCC from the CIUG was a positive thing –
specially given the CIUG’s past reticence to attend and discuss the proposed
plan for the radio announcement Emergency Response actions, as proposed in
other years by the CICCC.

Ian said he and Michael have volunteered to attend the CIUG meeting in the
near future. He said before attending the meeting, he needs clarification
about the terms of his involvement.

Bronwyn explained that George Horman’s discussion (from the previous
meeting) of the future of the CICCC included consideration of other activities
which occurred on Coode Island. George highlighted the different groups that
meet in regards to Coode Island including the CIUG, the port reform issues
etc. The CIUG are seen as one of the groups doing this work.

Ian said the CICCC is the consulting committee and that a ‘users group’
is a different entity. Ian said the CIUG should be joining the CICCC.

John said the MPC want to consult more widely with the community. He said
Nick Easy (MPC) had made this point when he met recently with the CICCC. He
suggested the CICCC invite Chris Wittacker (from MPC) to further inform the
CICCC about their community consultation plans.

Peter said he shared Robin’s view that the MPC have been difficult to
deal with. The CICCC are interested in dealing with the companies on CI and
not the Coode Island Users Group.

Bronwyn added that there are also other MH sites in the area of CI and
surrounds, that the MPC attend as they are related to the port.

Ian suggested the CICCC write to MPC.

 

 


ITEM 9. ADVICE FROM LISA FALDON ON SEABED CONTAMINATION WITH HEAVY METALS.



Defer to the next meeting.

 

 

ITEM 10. AGENDA FOR THE NEXT MEETING 12 June 2003

* See the ACTION ITEMS above.

 

 

CLOSE.

9.40pm

 

 

 

NEXT MEETINGS

**Thursday 12 June 2003 NOTE CHANGED DETAILS FOR THIS MEETING


4.30pm Gate 1 Terminals Site on Coode Island

Tour of the site, followed by CICCC meeting

Thursday 10 July 2003