COODE
ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE
COMMITTEE

 

Adopted
Minutes

Thursday,
7TH February, 2008

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Quentin Cooke:

Environment. Protection
Authority

Ian Thomas:

Community Rep./Committee

Carlo Fasolino

State Manager Victoria,
Terminals Pty Ltd

Deborah Macfarlane:

Community Rep./Committee

George Horman

Managing Director,
Terminals Pty Ltd

Faye Simpson

Community Member

Peter La Rose

Operations Manager

Michael Isaachsen:

Community Rep./Committee

Sue Chatterton

Minute Taker

 

 

 

 

 

ITEM 1.      WELCOME
BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT           AGENDA

 

Robin         Welcomed
all in attendance to 2008

                    Apologies
Bro Sheffield Brotherton, Theo Pykoulas

 

                    Confirmation
of draft agenda – adopted

 

 

ITEM 2.       CONFIRMATION
OF DRAFT MINUTES MEETING 13th December 2007,            AND
REVIEW ACTION ITEM LIST.

 

DRAFT MINUTES

 

Robin:        Draft
minutes of 13th December, 2007 confirmed.

 

ACTION ITEMS

 

05/07-1      Improvement
Action Plan – Carlo sent a revised copy to Robin. Robin suggested Carlo
has been experiencing difficulty with EPA as they have changed their
representative. Robin would like to make plans for early in the next few days
for Carlo to set up a meeting with EPA and himself.

 

                    Defer
to next meeting with Carlo’s immediate action being the setting up of a meeting
with Quentin and Robin..



 

09/07-2      Incident
at DP World – Robin suggested when Carlo gets in touch with Quentin he is to
remind him about action item.

 

                    Deferred
to next meeting.

 

12/07-1      Robin
wrote to Inspector Trish Duke and conveyed to her that the committee was
gratified with the response, and sought details and action of the planning
meeting with Melbourne Port Corporation mentioned in the response. No reply
had been received to date.

 

                    ACTION:
Robin to follow up with a phone call.

 

12/07-2      Peter
responded to incident with Tank 34 – Iso Hexane.

 

Peter:         Upon
investigation an automatic pressure relief valve was found to be ajar and was
not closing properly. The pressure was being released, with the vapour mixture
being vented to the combustor. The vapour space was replaced automatically by
nitrogen.

 

                    This
is the first time we have had this problem and will keep a tighter control on
the stock levels in the future.

 

Ian:             The
loss through this valve meant a continuous discharge of vapour into the
combustor.

 

Robin:        Asked
what the product loss was worth?

 

Peter:         The
loss was about 3.1 tonnes and has cost the company $8K

 

Robin:        What
action is to be taken in the future?

 

Peter:         Tighter
control on the stock levels.

 

 

12/07-3      Community
Newsletter Distribution – 500 pamphlets were distributed and also
advertised in the Footscray Mail. PACIA also ran own advertisement.

 

Robin:        In
view of the fact that so much effort and pain has gone into producing this
newsletter what the committee needs to do is reflect on and discuss whether we
want to try and reprint newsletter minus reference to the Open Day and with
greater distribution numbers and area. Or whether we just let it go?

 

George:     What
are we proposing to achieve by another Newsletter?

 

                    The
Open Day was advertised fairly widely. Would like to know how everyone else whom
was also open on the same day faired, such as Australian Vinyl Corporation,
BASF, and DOW.

 

                    When
it comes to the chemical industry in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s a lot of
interest was generated courtesy of the fire.



 

                    In
1997 during an Open Door Day twelve thousand people attended (total of all
facilities open) compared to the year 2007 when there would barely have been
100 people (total of all facilities open) and that’s not just us therefore
proving interest has waned.

                   

                    When
Terminals had the Butadiene controversy an Open Day was held at the Corio
facility and 30 people attended. People just seem to of lost interest in the
Chemical Industry.

 

Ian:             There
is considerably less industry now compared to back then.

 

George:     Recalled
before the fire there was television footage. Maybe this was caused by odours.

 

Robin:        Relevance
of fewer incidents now due to better management of the industries. Maybe the
lack of interest can be taken as a pat on the back?

 

George:     Don’t
buy that idea, as there have been fires such as that at Longford. Public may
be conscious of the fact of low unemployment.

 

Deborah:   Don’t
think so

 

Robin:        So
much more that the public are anxious about, such as global warming, work
choices, etc.

 

Ian:             Tend
to think it is derogatory of us to regard it as lack of interest, implies that
public not doing as much as before. Level of contentedness is more an issue
rather than lack of concern.

 

Michael:     Members
of community are vaguely aware of industry and are contented. A lot of people
I know are not interested. They think everything will be fine.

 

Peter:         Only
interest shown in Terminals was when they thought we were responsible for the
incident at DP World. People now concerned about dredging.

 

Deborah:   There
are going to be a lot more even bigger ships having access to the port which in
turn means more chemicals being brought in from overseas.

 

                    Maybe
the Press Releases are too complicated.

 

Robin:        Most
of what we report are good news stories that do not generate interest.

 

Ian:             As
everything is going so well we should drastically reduce the frequency of these
meetings.

 

Robin:        While
from one perspective what Ian says has merit, the other perspective is that our
five meetings per year represents a discipline in monitoring Terminals
performance, and providing some comfort to the wider community that the CICCC
is keeping an eye on the situation.



 

George:     I
am alarmed at the lack of interest. We need to provide something of more
interest to people.

 

                    It
wasn’t a good situation for Terminals when people were concerned about us,
people thought we were intrinsically unsafe and therefore felt threatened.

 

Robin:        George
is very proud of Plant C and how it looks but it fills me with nothing but
boredom. Maybe hold a rock concert?

 

George:     How
do you make an Open Day work? We do not have anything all that bad but if the
whole of Coode Island were to open up on another scale and provide
entertainment for the children etc it might work better.

 

Fay:             I
was wondering whether Terminals is moving to another phase as a lot of the
interest has stopped. Next step should be where you move into the community
and by doing that might attract a great deal more professional interest such as
Rotary, Scholarships in Schools etc.

 

Ian:             Run
the sausage sizzle outside Bunnings.

 

Deborah:   Informing
schools is a good thing.

 

Robin:        Deborah
and I went on a series of 3 meetings to get schools to use Terminals as a
project inviting them to avail themselves of all the information we have
available. No interest was shown at all as schools already have such a full
curriculum.

 

Michael:     Why
don’t you invite people to look at the wharf and the containers and in turn the
chemical plants?

 

George:     Everyone
paranoid.

 

Robin:        None
of us are convinced that any action is going to be of benefit. We will do
nothing until someone has a more specific idea.

 

Deborah:   Felt
news filters would be more beneficial.

 

Faye:          Is
Terminals still a danger to the public?

 

Quentin:     But
why would you want to do that. Terminals is seen by the public as unexciting
infrastructure where something only happens infrequently. Need to put out some
positive information. The Port has a Port Education Centre. Need to pitch out
at the school market giving them some positive information about chemicals in
industry to inform and educate people.

 

                    I
have dealt with other sites that have a very active tour schedule. The Port is
a magnet that people are interest in, watching ships being loaded. They
conduct a professional tour on a weekly basis. They get 1,000’s of people each
year getting their message across.

 

George:     Adding
flesh to previous comments it has to be the whole island and do it as a tour.
Positives are people seeing that chemicals are not running everywhere.

 

Quentin:     Message
that we are part of the industrial scene.

 

Robin:        Why
not take the next step and suggest to the Port they undertake such tours.

 

George:     Not
a good thing when people do not know anything about you as it tends to make
them worry.

 

Ian:             I
am concerned about Newsletter, assumed 500 went to houses?

                    Do
not think it would have made a difference to Open Day or meeting.

 

                    500
is no where near enough. Certainly like to see some more distributed as far as
Williamstown. The reason is to communicate.

 

Robin         The
Newsletter is on the CICCC Web Site.

 

George:     CICCC
website has old EPA license.

 

Robin:        Will
look into that.

 

ACTION     Robin to check latest version of EPA Licence is on the CICCC Web
Site

 

Faye:          Would
it be beneficial to see a billboard with company statistics that change
monthly. Could Terminals look at that option?

 

George:     Not
many people would see it as they have to come through guard house.

 

 

ITEM 3.       REPORTS
FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS

 

                    ENVIRONMENT
PROTECTION AUTHORITY

                    Presented
by Quentin Cooke

 

Quentin:     I
have not been near Terminals in quite a length of time.

 

                    There
was an incident today, a spill of diesel at a fuel outlet, McDonald Road,
Geelong Highway. Fuel ended up in Stony Creek. The fuel leak came out of a
mini tanker that drove off while hose pipe was still connected. Approximately
4,000 litres spilled onto the ground. Some of the spill was caught at the site
but remainder went into the creek.

 

                    One
sick duck was the only casualty.

 

                    Over
the last year quite a number of significant events have happened in Melbourne.

 

                    D.P.
World event is still under investigation and appears to be caused by damage to
a container whilst being unloaded from a ship. The incident caused a plume to
go over a significant part of the western suburbs.

 

                    As
part of the clean up we had to call on Carlo for assistance in dousing the
smell.



 

                    There
was also an incident in West Footscray where a plume of Chlorine type gas was
released from a storage site. The incident happened at Indwe Street which is a
main thoroughfare. The incident caused rather a large impact with people and
some vegetation damage.

 

Robin:        Is
there a pattern here of things happening?

 

Quentin:     Not
related to Coode Island but there has been a few to keep EPA busy.

 

                    All
of these events are where we have had considerable outrage and community
interest. When it is over it is not an ongoing interest.

 

George:     If
you handle any sort of chemical it comes down to how much effort it takes to
make it safe.

 

Quentin:     They
have to change their procedures on how they handle the containers.

 

George:     If
you handle chemicals you are going to have some loss of containment at some
stage.

 

Robin:        In
a presentation to the CICCC in the past P&O Ports said they did not know
what was in most of their containers.

 

Quentin:     Someone
in D.P. World would have some information and have access to Material Data
Safety Sheets.

 

                    The
EPA has launched a couple of new programs EREP – Energy and Resource
Efficiency Plans. Significant facilities in the state re water usage
will be required to register and prepare EREP plans, targeting the biggest
users of water and energy. Target facilities will include major shopping
centres and hospitals.

 

                    A
list of the biggest users is being developed at the moment. There is a lot of
interest in who is on the list.

 

Ian:             Will
it be a license condition.

 

Quentin:     A
lot of these places are not licensed but it will be a requirement to comply.

 

                    The
second program is Corporate Licensing. The first Corporate License is with
Goulburn Vally Water. Altogether 26 individual licenses have been consolidated
into one. The target is any corporation with many licenses and have them put
all into one.

 

                    Terminals
could seek a Corporate License. Having one site accredited and one not
accredited would not be an impediment to seeking a Corporate License.

 

Robin:        Explain
where does the efficiency come into it?

 

Quentin:     Find
information on EPA website. Corporate License has 8 pages so therefore a much
small volume. One license fee and one document to maintain. Would make
license much simpler and more of a whole of business type.

 

Ian:             Expression
of thanks to Quentin.

 

Quentin:     Established
groups do require reinvigoration. One group of people I know of actually
employed a consultant to get renewed energy into their meetings.

 

Deborah:   Maybe
we should invite someone from Goulburn Valley to talk about the Corporation
License experience.

 

George:     Will
wait for some more details to come along in the near future.

 

Ian:             Organization
which falls below radar can still show an initiative and become involved.

 

Deborah:   Could
we follow up the Emergency Early Warning System.

 

ACTION ITEM:   Robin to follow up with a phone call

 

                    TERMINALS PTY LTD

                    Presented
by Peter La Rose

 

Peter:         Terminals
received a visit from the MFB during the month, new recruits familiarizing
themselves with the site.

 

                    We
also had a visit from Terminals American owners.

                    We
are due for a major EXXON audit shortly.

                    Operators
have now begun the task of redoing the competency assessments.

 

                    Peter
took committee through the incidents on the Operations Report. With regard to
the incident where Canola was found to be coming out of open manway; Peter
stressed these are the only two tanks that are manifolded together so it could
not happen anywhere else on the site.

 

Carlo:         Intend
to put in a Planning Application for new tanks with the Department of Community
Planning and Development. Either 2 or 5 Tallow tanks at Plant. B.

 

Peter:         Hopes
by October net year Plant B will look as good as Plant C.

 

Robin:        List
of incidents just reflecting some 5 years ago we might have 3 or 5. Is this a
lot of incidents to be having with such a well run site.

 

George:     You
need to look at the statistics regularly if they drop I become suspicious.
Owning up to the incidents is the key to continual improvement. How can we
have fewer incidents when you have more construction?

 

Robin:        If
they drop down to a certain threshold then you are not reporting them?

 

George:     You
learn from incidents.

 

Peter:         A
fair few of incidents are failure of equipment.

 

Faye:          If
you have rising numbers you need to have a look at whether all staff are being
trained properly.

 

George:     We
are investing a great deal of time and effort into implementing procedural
changes.

 

Faye:          Maintenance
schedule was a paper chase.

 

Carlo:         Maintenance
Planner is now being used that is on the wall showing what maintenance checks
are to be completed.

 

Ian:             I
believe the reporting is first class.

 

George:     Major
Hazard Facility license for next 5 years has been granted.

 

                    Information
will be given at the next meeting regarding 3 tanks that were bought from
Bentley Chemplex for fertilizer storage at Coode for Incitec Pivot.

 

                    Also
the new nitrogen generator and other new improvements will be talked about at
the next meeting.

 

                    The
Old Cotton Mills planning application has been knocked back by council and has
been taken to VCAT. The area is not appropriately zoned for residential.
Terminals in conjunction with others will get involved.

 

Ian:             Could
Terminals supply an elevated diagram showing arrangement of tanks. Could we
have a drawing showing one typical tank and tank fittings.

 

 

ITEM 4.       REVIEW
IAR AND EPA SIGN OFF

 

Item deferred to next meeting
pending outcome of meeting between Carlo, Robin and Quentin.

 

 

ITEM 5.       OTHER
BUSINESS

 

 

NEXT SCHEDULE MEETINGS:

 

Thursday,
10th April, 2008, 12th June, 2008, 7th August,
2008 and 6th November, 2008.

 

 

MEETING CLOSED 9:15 PM