COODE ISLAND
COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE
COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

Thursday, 22nd
February, 2007

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin
Saunders
:

CICCC /
Chairperson

Tim Faragher:

Env.
Protection Authority

Ian Thomas:

Community
Rep./Committee

Carlo
Fasolino

State Manager
Victoria, Terminals Pty Ltd

Deborah
Macfarlane
:

Community
Rep./Committee

George Horman

Managing
Director, Terminals Pty Ltd

Faye Simpson

Community
Member

Sue
Chatterton

Minute Taker

Michael
Isaachsen
:

Community
Rep./Committee

 

John O’Mara

 

 

 

 

ITEM 1.     WELCOME
BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT   AGENDA

 

Robin         Welcomed
all in attendance to 2007

                    Apologies
Peter La Rose, Bro Sheffield Brotherton, Quentin Cooke

 

Robin:        Welcomed
and introduced John O’Mara who is interested in industrial safety issues.

                    Confirmation
of draft agenda – adopted

 

 

ITEM 2.      CONFIRMATION
OF DRAFT MINUTES MEETING 14th December 2006,      AND
REVIEW ACTION ITEM LIST.

 

DRAFT MINUTES

 

Robin:        Draft minutes of 14th December, 2006 confirmed.

 

ACTION ITEMS

 

10/05-1      Complete

 

02/06-2      Complete

 

02/06-3      Michael Isaacson to report back to
the CICCC on the Lower Maribyrnong Reference Group regarding pollution in the
Lower Maribyrnong.

 

02/06-4      Awaiting sign-off from EPA.

 

Action:      Tim
to chase up and get sorted by next meeting.

 

02/06-6      Waiting on Theo’s advise.

 

04/06-1      Complete

 

04/06-4      Need to develop strategy to get the
community into the users group meeting.

 

Robin:        We
are happy for George to proceed with the matter.

 

George:     We
need to get Marstel Committee on board and then arrange with users group.

 

Robin:        One
initiative with Marstel and broader initiative users group.

 

Ian:             Only
aiming at once of twice a year for combined meeting.

 

George:     Strategy
needs to be developed. Carlo and I can organize talking to Marstel. As far as
Marstel Committee concerned we should write outlining idea.

 

Robin:        Will
place action on Agenda for next meeting to put forward a strategy. Before hand
George or Carlo to talk to Marstel.

 

Ian:             Why
the approach to Marstel first?

 

Robin:        The
users group not interested.

 

Carlo:         The
User Group get together to discuss issues as tenants to talk to PoMC, the group
is informal.

 

George:     Carlo
could arrange to have a member of the community attend to see what actually
takes place at the meetings. We are only talking 3 meetings a year. Asked
Carlo if agencies attend.

 

Carlo:         Not
really mainly just users.

 

Michael:     Doesn’t
sound like the kind of forum that we could go along to and ask questions of the
other users.

 

Robin:        EPA
has a mandate to promote community consultation. We could use that head of
power to encourage the Users Group to think favorably about 2 or 3 meetings a
year open to Community Representatives.

 

George:     Melbourne
Ports do not like to be put in a position where they are open to criticism.

 

Robin:        If
the EPA stress it would be desirable it may sway their thinking.

 

George:     Would
like to know that other users have the same constraints placed on them as
Terminals.

 

Robin:        Exactly,
that is a question that goes through my mind. Terminals/Marstel open to a
great deal of scrutiny whereas the others on Coode Island do not.

 

Tim:            EPA
supportive of community involvement, Major Hazard Facilities generate a lot
more scrutiny.

 

Michael:     Asked
Tim if the EPA would ask other users if the community is able to ask questions
and open up.

 

George:     There
seems to be two sets of rules. If Terminals had a major spill like that at the
Bently Chemplex site EPA would have been a lot more stringent. Terminals had
to put in a lot more safeguards. Pacific Terminals expanding and not made to
discuss future plans.

 

Tim:            Not
sure if EPA played down the spill at Bently Chemplex. Might have been Bently
Chemplex playing down matter rather than EPA.

 

John:          The
planning permit for Pacific Terminals is available for public viewing.

 

Tim:            The
planning permit does specify they have to comply with EPA guidelines.

 

George:     It
seems Terminals always has to comply when the others don’t.

 

Michael:     We
are not hearing much from the EPA about the nuts and bolts of things happening
at Coode. If companies are handling chemicals close to the community,
shouldn’t they be made to share nuts and bolts with the community.

 

Tim:            EPA
would try and encourage such openness should there be enough community interest
as it would be more beneficial to all concerned.

 

Robin:        Marstel
and Terminals combined meeting not going to go ahead.

 

Michael:     If
there are facilities near the population where a leakage could be harmful how
does the EPA decide whether the community should be informed?

 

Tim:            Happy
to do a presentation at the next meeting outlining the Works Approval
application process. Whether or not a Works Approval is required is laid down
in the regulations.

 

Action:      Terminals
to talk to Marstel regarding having community representation attend the Users
Group meeting.

 

06/06-4      Delete

 

12/06-1      Complete

 

12/06-2      Complete

 

12/06-3      Complete

 

12/06-4      Complete

 

12/06-5      Complete

 



 

ITEM 3.      REPORTS
FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS

 

                    ENVIRONMENT
PROTECTION AUTHORITY

                    Presented
by Tim Faragher

 

Tim:            The
Lower Maribyrnong Audit findings were released in January. The entire audit is
on the website should anyone want to view the report.

 

                    Clean
Up Notices issued to PoMC, Mobil, and Albright & Wilson regarding Holden
Dock. Strategies and plans for remediation of area have been put in place and
an investigation and on going work into storm water management in the area is
being addressed.

 

Action:      Robin
to include mention of the clean-up notices associated with the Lower
Maribyrnong Audit in the media release.

 

Tim:            All
those sites have to engage an EPA auditor to manage the contamination and
remediation. Next stop is to implement the EPA recommendations.

 

Carlo:         Felt
the process unfair as those companies were being made responsible for previous
port issues.

 

Robin:        EPA
would have to have strong case against the companies before clean up notices
issued and asked Tim if the clean up notices were public documents?

 

Tim:            Yes

 

Robin:        Could
I have copies please.

 

Tim:            Agreed
to provide Robin with copies. (Subsequently Tim provided the web site address
where the notices are listed, and details were set out in the media release.)

 

Deborah:   Was extremely
helpful to have a cruise down the river to see the sites from the river and
look at the sites from that perspective. Went on a tour conducted by Peter
Summerville and found the experience very informative as Peter was very
knowledgeable.

 

George:     Terminals
has not copped a clean up notice. Only on Plant A site which has since been
demolished so clean up noticed cancelled.

 

Robin:        Deborah’s
suggestion sounds like something we could look at doing later in the year,
maybe Christmas.

 

Deborah:   Peter
Summerville is the owner of the boat and would need to be given a good amount
of notice.

 

Robin:        It
is a long time away from Christmas but something to be put on the back burner
till later in the year.

 

Ian:             The
comprehensive Fish Study released at the same time as the Audit Study.
Findings also published in the paper recommended consumption of the fish caught
around that area be kept to a minimum.

 

 

Deborah:   Is the
contamination localized or does it apply to further up the river. How are the
people to know about the reports recommendations and does it apply to further
up the river?

 

Faye:          On
the website do you also state the standards and when they are updated.

 

Tim:            The
contamination appears to be localized and as far as the standards they are more
an issue for the Department of Human Services rather than the EPA.

 

Robin:        Thanked
Tim for his report.

 

 

TERMINALS PTY LTD

Presented by Carlo Fasolino

 

Carlo:         Then
presented Terminals Pty Ltd report.

 

George:     Annual
budgets for capital projects were approved by Terminals’ owners during their
recent visit, to continue with the upgrade and expansion of the site. Upgrade
to be constructed to highest feasible standard.

 

Carlo:         MHF
licence up for renewal later this year. Proposed 2 new tanks to be put forward
for planning application.

 

Michael:     With
regard to the first incident where there was a leakage on a flange what caused
it?

 

Carlo:         Leaks
happen sometimes it was actually a truck flange that leaked.

 

Michael:     I
thought all trucks were certified prior to entry onto site?

 

Carlo:         Terminals
insist on sighting cleanliness certificate and pressure test certificate prior
to loading and can only judge by those certificates.

 

Robin:        Terminals
is concerned that trucks are of a good quality, that the contractors are of a
good quality with good drivers.

 

George:     We
had a spate of similar incidents many years ago so measures were undertaken to
ensure trucks were maintained and tested.

 

Carlo:         Until
paperwork from transport contractor comes back proving the truck has been
independently tested to be safe truck is not allowed back on site.

 

Ian:             Is
there any chance of product leaking during the journey between Terminals and
client.

 

George:     A
visual inspection is performed prior to truck leaving site so scenario
unlikely.

 

Faye:          Is
it possible to get a CO2 emission report from Terminals?

 

Action:      Terminals
to report greenhouse gas emissions in each Operations and Occurrence Report.
Some context of the scale of the emissions should be given. Also gas and
electricity usage should be reported.

 

ITEM 4.      BRIEFING
ON NATIONAL CHEMICALS NOTIFICATION AND            ASSESSMENT
SCHEME BY BRO SHEFFIELD-BROTHERTON

 

Bro is an apology so item deferred
to the next meeting.

 

 

ITEM 5.      NEWSLETTER
AND OPEN DAY

 

 

NEWSLETTER

 

Sign off on text on Newsletter.

 

George:     Presented
the committee with the Geelong Newsletter as a sample of size of working he
felt should be presented to the community.

 

Robin:        Karen
Sherlock has given us a mock up of the newsletter.

 

Deborah:   Gave George
some suggested amendments to pass on the Karen.

 

Robin:        Community
has yet to sight Terminals text. When you have text available George could you
please put to committee.

 

Ian:             Has
edited Karen’s comments so it is more acceptable to himself.

 

Robin:        Went
through the changes on the document with the committee. The amended text was
agreed by the Community Representatives.

 

Robin:        Terminals
has committed to rewriting Terminals section, will send around to everyone for
screening prior to putting to print. Date of publication in Terminals court,
also how wide an area the distribution is to cover, provide to such places as
the council, libraries, community centers etc. Suggested the mail out be
better sent closer to the Open Day.

 

OPEN DAY

 

George:     George
advised after the meeting that the Open Day is 5TH MAY, 2007
.

 

 

ITEM 6.      OTHER
BUSINESS

 

None

 

 

NEXT SCHEDULE MEETINGS: 17th
May, 2007

Meeting dates for 2007 – 19th
July, 20th September, 22nd November, 2007.

 

 

MEETING CLOSED 9:10 PM