COODE ISLAND
COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE
COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes
Meeting

Thursday 5th
August 2004

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin
Saunders
:

CICCC /
Chairperson

George Horman:

Managing
Director, Terminals Pty Ltd

Ian Thomas:

Community
Rep. / CICCC Committee

Carlo Fasolino:

State
Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Deborah
Macfarlane
:

Community
Rep./Committee

Quentin Cooke:

Env.
Protection Authority / Ex Off Comm

Faye Simpson

Community
Member

Bronwyn
Brookman
Smith:

MH Div /
WorkSafe/Ex Off Com

Michael
Isaachsen
:

Community
Rep./Committee

Margaret
Donnan

Pacia

Bro
Sheffield-Brotherton
Combined Enviro.
Groups / Committee

Jody West

Minute Taker

 

 

ITEM 1.      WELCOME
BY THE CHAIR

 

Robin         Welcomed
everyone

 

ITEM 2.       APOLOGIES

 

Chris Watts, Colleen Hartland, Theo Pykoulas,

Peter LaRose, Paul Hayward,

                   

ITEM 3.       CONFIRMATION
OF DRAFT AGENDA

 

                    Adopted

 

ITEM 4.       AGENDA
ITEM 6

 

                    REPORT
ON SWEENEY MARKET RESEARCH – WORKSAFE

                    (Refer
Attachment)

 

                    Bronwyn
Brookman-Smith presented a Report on Sweeney Market Research

                   

                    Refer Hand Outs titled: “Post Safety Case Assessment
Review” & “Sweeney Research”.

                    The
Research was conducted to assess the introduction of the new Safety Case
regimes & ambitious timeframes for its implementation. Different
facilities had different base levels of safety compliance after licensing. The
evaluation was prepared for a report to the WorkCover Board. Sweeney Research
was the independent company that did the report in 3 stages. Guidance Notes
were developed during the Safety Case process, and the review highlighted the
necessity to have them produced before the process was undertaken. Numbers
interviewed were based on the size of the facility. In summary the process has
outlined a number of areas that need to be looked at across the board.

 

Robin:        It
should be noted that the summary report did not represent the community input
to the review at all.

 

Robin:        Mr
Stenshot made comments during his presentation to the CICCC that Worksafe
needed to be more forward with advice to companies on measures to meet standards.
The 43% of those interviewed sought such guidance . Has Worksafe noted this?

 

Bronwyn:   Yes, there is a
process of reviewing the findings through the Major Hazardous Committee and
they are re-writing some aspects. A first draft will be going out to sites for
comment.

 

Robin:        Is
there a need for WorkSafe to not only review their MHF Guidelines, but to do
more in giving practical advice to companies?.

 

George:     Industry
is complex and it is unreasonable to expect regulators to know every detail of
how a process works. A regulator can know if there is a robust approach to
safety, regulatory compliance and management of charge and if this is being
practiced by a company.

 

Bronwyn:   The Regs that
are being drafted are in the performance base. Guidance will be to help what
the regs require.

 

Ian:             With
the companies that I have dealt with, they would prefer a “What To Do
Guide”.

 

Bronwyn:   Workcover are
working on lessons in the regime to streamline Major Hazardous & Dangerous
Goods. Putting out guidelines of what they need to look at.

 

Ian:             We
cannot say that as a consequence of this that we will have less incidents. It
concerns me with all the effort – events still occur.

 

Bronwyn:   It is
performance based and left to the company to comply with what is safe because
it has been tested. The whole premise gives the sites opportunity to review
why things are done the way they are.

 

Robin:        Are
there any sites that didn’t do things correctly?

 

Bronwyn:   Terminals have
improved their processes from the Safety Cases. Most MHF sites have improved
and gone well above minimum control measures.. So they are ahead. There is a
lot more internal interest and team building in MHF work forces..

 

ACTION:   WORKSAFE
TO PROVIDE THE CD OF THE SWEENEY REPORT ONCE RECEIVED.

                    EXPECTED
DELIVERY DATE: SEPT 04.

 

 

ITEM 5.       DETAILED
REVIEW OF THE IMPROVEMENT ACTION REPORT (TERMINALS)

 

                    Refer
Handout

 

All:               Discussions
took place in relation to the presentation of the Report. It was suggested
that the layout be revamped to include: Terminals Content Updated on __/__/__.
No acronyms to be used full spelling only. Lines to be implemented to define
each target objective clearly with target, status & regulatory sign off.

 

Ian:             There
is no confirmation from EPA & Worksafe that they have signed off on this
Report. It is a controlled document and should be signed off by the company.

 

Carlo:         This
a tool of how the company is going and it should be at the end of the status.

 

Robin:        The
important thing that it can be put on the website. Each company involved to
agree that it is true & correct and signatures should not be required.
This is an update. Perhaps have authorised by and the name along with the
dates of completed.

 

George:     Perhaps
we minute at the meeting that Terminals and the agencies concerned agree that
it is done.

 

Robin:        Yes
record in the minutes that the 3 parties have answered questions, verified it
and the company agrees with it.

 

Peter:         CICCC
discusses report and it is put on the end of the table.

 

Robin:        Put
a short paragraph in the Media Release and note this at the bottom of the
table.

 

George:     The
committee should discuss it and make a point of keeping Terminals Pty Ltd
honest.

 

Robin:        Have
a comment at the bottom of the table:

                    Authorised
Carlo Fasolino on behalf of Terminals ______________________

                    Authorised
Quentin Cooke on behalf of EPA __________________________

                    Authorised
Bronwyn Brookman-Smith on behalf of Worksafe _____________

 

Michael:     The
report should be an accurate reflection of the status of what is reported.

 

 

Robin:        Due
to time the committee are to complete the review of the improvement action
report at the October meeting. Ground Water is to be discussed at the next
meeting.

 

ACTION:   CARLO
TO ADVISE IAN A TIME TO LOOK AT THE LOADING WITH QUENTIN REGARDING THE BUND
REPORT.

 



 

ITEM 6:       AGENDA
ITEM 10

 

                    CONFIRM
DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING ON 10 JUNE 2004

                   

Robin:        Apologies
from Peter Brotherton

 

George:     Changes
to 2 areas:

                    (1)
Reported Spill – lump of Tallow not to do with Terminals, and Email from
George was sent to Robin deleting reference of the spill. This email was read
to the committee.

 

                    (2)
Butadine – amended questions & discussion for commercial sensitivity.

 

Robin:        Minutes
adopted with George’s comments.

 

ITEM 7:       ITEMS
NOT ON THE AGENDA

 

                    OTHER

 

Deborah:   Concerned in
relation to the truck that jackknifed at Flemington Bridge, which put the
community in great danger. 10 feet further and it would have hit an electrical
substation and caused the whole high rise Housing Commission block to
incinerate. Trucks need to be taken into account.

 

Faye:          Look
at different ways for trucks to leave Footscray.

 

George:     Gas
trucks are dangerous because of expanding vapour explosions.

 

Ian:             Paul
Swain gave a report stating incident.

 

Robin:        Time
to ask from quantification of local trucks in residential streets.

 

George:     Wasn’t
Bruce Mildenhall looking at this?

 

Robin:        We
will ask council advice on progress of this issue.

 

Ian:             A
Risk Assessment was done by the Government which concluded safe for tankers to
go over the West Gate Bridge.

 

George:     Thinks
that this committee should discuss matters to do with Coode business. Happy to
discuss other issues as long as time permits. The first priority must be to
Terminals business.

 

Robin:        Should
we pursue truck movements?

 

Peter:         Yes.
To see if people are taking shortcuts and find out about the studies.

 

Marg:          Look
at Worksafe website to see if anything is mentioned.

 

ACTION:   ROBIN
TO GET COUNCIL TO GIVE REPORT

 



 

ITEM 8:       AGENDA
ITEM 4

 

                    REPORTS
FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS

 

                    TERMINALS

 

George:     U.S.
representatives of Kaneb are coming 19.08.04 to do budgets and visit sites.

                    Terminals
have secured Orica Phenol business.

                    EPA
has granted permission to dump contaminated soil from the east side of
Mackenzie Road to landfill next year. Which landfill is still to be decided.

 

George:     Although
2 meetings were scheduled for Phenol, the second would only be held if there
were a need to.

 

Robin:        Terminals
will provide CICCC with a copy of their letter to the EPA detailing the proposal
– this should suffice.

 

Ian:             Wants
to look at Phenol sample at the next CICCC meeting.

 

Carlo:         Firm
“NO”

 

Other:         Other
Committee participants & Terminals did not agree to a sample being brought
to the next meeting.

 

Ian:             Next
site meeting would like to see Phenol.

 

George:     Notices
to customers have been sent to remind them of their obligation for tanks to be
empty by 30.11.04 and draw down schedule based on historical off takes was
included in the notice. Remediation of site to be tendered and work is scheduled
to begin on 01.02.05. Melbourne Port Corporation has been asked for permission
to take over the road between B&C East.

 

Robin:        If
Marstel are not ready will storage go off site?

 

George:     There
is a danger of that, and I do not know what will happen if Marstel are not
ready.

 

Bro:             Can
we get an official report or timing & direction by the end of the month
from DIIRD or the Government.

 

Robin:        Of
the Marstel Progress?

 

Quentin:     Attending
a meeting to this effect & I will circulate a copy of the minutes to CICCC.

 

 

Robin:        I
will make further enquiry before 14.10 meeting. George will advise details of
DIIRD Meeting.

 

 

 

                   

AGENCY: EPA

 

Quentin:     Had
attended David Horseman’s retirement

 

Robin:        Congratulated
Quentin on Temporary Appointment as Acting Manager Western Region

 

Robin:        Distributed
Theo Pykoulos map & letter from Council to DOW.

 

                    AGENCY:
WORKSAFE

 

Robin:        No
Report VWA as Bronwyn had to leave after her presentation.

 

ACTION:   GEORGE
TO PROVIDE COPY OF TERMINALS LETTER ON THE PHENOL STORAGE TO EPA TO THE CICCC

 

ACTION:   GEORGE
TO ADVISE DETAILS OF DIIRD MEETING.

 

ACTION:   QUENTIN
TO PROVIDE MINUTES FROM MARSTEL MEETING.

 

ITEM 9:       AGENDA
ITEM 7

 

                    ACTION
ITEMS FROM PREVIOUS MEETINGS

 

REPORT ON INVESTIGATIONS INTO COMBUSTOR & COMPRESSED AIR
ALARMS (TERMINALS).

 

Robin:        Item
Deferred

 

ITEM 10:    AGENDA
ITEM 8

 

                    REDUCED
RISK CONTOURS FOLLOWING CESSATION OF

                    ACRYLONITRILE
STORAGE (TERMINALS).

 

Robin:        Item
Deferred

 

ITEM 11:    AGENDA
ITEM 9

 

                    CORRESPONDENCE

 

                    MAXWELL
REPORT RESPONSE 15 JUNE 2004

 

Robin:        No
response has been received to date

 

Quentin:     Advised
that there has been a draft response and that it may be lost in the mail.

 

Robin:        No
response has been received to date

 

ACTION:   ROBIN
TO FOLLOW UP BUTADIENE PROPOSAL LETTER TO BRUMBY 15 JUNE 2004



 

ITEM 12:    AGENDA
ITEM 11

 

                    NEXT
SCHEDULED MEETING

 

Deborah:   Dosen’t
think that 5 meetings are enough and suggests 6.

 

ACTION:   NUMBER
OF MEETINGS TO BE AN AGENDA ITEM FOR THE NEXT MEETING ON 14.10.04

 

 

MEETING CLOSED: 9.45pm

 

Next meeting: 14 October 2004

Following meeting: 9 December
2004