COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

Wednesday, 4th
February. 2014

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin
Saunders
:

CICCC /
Chairperson

Deborah
McFarlane

Community
Rep./Committee

Ian Thomas:

Community
Rep./Committee

Theo Pykoulas

City of
Maribyrnong

Faye Simpson

Community
Rep./Committee

Carlo
Fasolino

State Manager
Victoria, Terminals Pty Ltd

Michael
Isaachsen
:

Community
Rep./Committee

Gary
O’Sullivan

Operations
Manager – West Melbourne

Bro
Sheffield-Brotherton
Combined Enviro.
Groups / Committee

Susan
Chatterton

Minute Taker

 

 

 ITEM 1.      WELCOME BY
THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT           AGENDA

 

Robin

Apologies – No apologies

 

Draft Agenda – confirmed

 

ITEM 2.       CONFIRM
DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING 25 OCTOBER 2013 REVIEW             ACTION
ITEM LIST

 

Draft Minutes of the 25th October, 2013 adopted.

 

Outstanding Action Items

 

10/2013/2

 

Carlo

Showed original principles for discussion.

 

Robins three new principles, which the committee has recommended
to Terminals to be added to the five existing principles in Section 4.1 of
the EIP, were:-

 

·     
Being a good neighbor to its surrounding
industries (local businesses) and wider community, by being open with
information (consistent with privacy requirements of clients), and supportive
of community development.

·     
Behaving ethically in its dealings with
clients, suppliers, regulators and the wider community.

·     
Recognizing the importance of sustainable
development, and incorporating this goal into its decision making.

 

 

I suggest we rename them as Principles Guiding Terminals
relationship with the community. After speaking with George he would like
measurable objectives to go with these principles such as:-

 

·           
To engage with local businesses and the wider
community             by:      

o   Publicising and administering a local community grants program

o   Offering to share information with neighbours through CICCC
members and, where appropriate, offering briefings to neighbours and elected
officials.

·           
Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements
related to community engagement and the provision of information to the
community, specifically:

o   Distribute relevant safety information every five years

o   Consult with neighbours and CICCC when changes are proposed to the
facility, safety or environmental performance.

o   Respond to all requests for information from community in open and
timely manner (except when there are commercial confidential issues)

o   Ensure staff always comply with company code of ethics policy

·           
Ensure when evaluating any new proposal the
long term implications are also considered.

 

Robin

In the progression from Principles to Objectives and then to
Actions, we should recognise that Terminals cannot be comprehensive in the
list of actions. Setting up guiding principles will allow Terminals to
compare new initiatives and actions against these broad principles.

Carlo

Based on what George said he wants to see measurable things.

Faye

One does need to set desirable outcomes

Robin

That is what the EIP is for.  These all come within those
parameters.  The additional principles bring forward a broader view.

Faye

We should be looking at the next 3-5 years.

Robin

Well put them into the EIP

Michael

Change wording of measurable objectives to frame them as examples.

Carlo

I looked at adding the 3 dot points and added objectives against
each point.

Robin

This has been a good discussion,  and I anticipate that Carlo
will review the outcome and come back for further discussion next meeting

Bro

I agree with Michael some measurable objectives.  Matter of
where they slot.  Between motherhood and broader finding where they go
in the structure.

Carlo

Discussion point, need to have George approve.

Robin

Carlo can you print out Environment Policy.

Carlo

Can print out now (handed out copies)

Robin

I have suggested my 3 dot points be added to the end of the
EIP.  Philosophy and Procedures Section 4.1

 

Is that a sufficient policy to guide a company in 2014 having a
broader set of principles?

Deborah

I think every 5 years is not often enough.  I think
information on what to do in an emergency needs to go out every 3 years.

Robin

George focused on things that are measurable but was really
talking about objectives.

Ian

Sustainable growth activity.  Or use the work sustainable
progress.

Theo

Distinction of what Terminals wants to project in the future rather
than the CICCC.

Robin

The CICCC sees the list of principles as a little narrow at the
moment.  Whereas George sees it as leading to measurable outcomes. 
Remember measurable objectives would need to be framed for the 3 dot points I
raised plus the other 5 dot points.

 

All Terminals’ initiatives and proposals would be reviewed to
ensure that they are compatible with the “guiding principles”.  This is
an ongoing process.

 

I note that the 3 new “guiding principles” are a little broader
than those 5 in the Environment Policy already. As Carlo said, the three new
points are a bit like a mission statement.

 

The 5 existing points could come under the new “Sustainable
Development” principle.

 

Some will have measurable objectives.  Examples of how you
make them measurable.

Carlo

If anyone has suggestions of what to add let me know.  I will
incorporate some of the changes and send out tomorrow.

10/2013/3

 

Robin

I tried to contact David Barry (email and left phone messages) but
I heard nothing from him.  EPA have forums they invite people to which I
feel are not particularly open to ideas and do not meet community or
committee needs as I perceive them. I do not think EPA’s idea of forums meets
the needs of the members of this committee.

Faye

EPA are effectively withdrawing from accountability.

Ian

I feel they hide behind Freedom of Information act.

Michael

I wonder if a very low key approach to Cheryl Bagatol to have a
word about David, as I saw total surprise that we asked for a copy of the Power
Point presentation.

Deborah

David said he would look into it but he hasn’t.

Robin

I suggest that I draft a list of expectations we have of agency
representatives at our meetings, and when that is refined we can send it to
agencies for comment and agreement.

Deborah

Maybe a letter to Cheryl stating that we were a little
disappointed about the last speakers presentation and then say about the list
of expectations.

Michael

Until recent event with EPA some others were very good at saying
they did not have the answers and would get back to us and have served
committee well.

Robin

A preamble to the list of expectations would acknowledge some
excellent representation in the past.  Draw attention to positive things
in the past.

Bro

I support Robin’s proposal as this will tackle the problem at a
strategic level.

Deborah

That we are a little disappointed should be conveyed in the
letter.  Might have been a misunderstanding of what is required.

ACTION

Robin to draft a list of our expectations, to guide  people coming
to our meetings who are unfamiliar with our normal procedures. After the
committee has vetted the draft, we will circulate it to agencies asking for
their endorsement.

10/2013/4

Carlo to review greenhouse table in the report to reflect
throughput.  Complete. See later discussion under Item 4, Terminals’
report.

10/2013/5

Ian to send the paper on Vegetable Oil Fuel to Robin for
circulation.  Ian will email tomorrow.

ACTION

Ian to email the Vegetable Oil Fuel paper to Robin for
circulation.

 

ITEM 3.       COMMUNITY
GRANTS

Carlo

Explained the Community Grants program conducted at Geelong, the
role of the TGCEG, and the success of that program.  Would like to do
the same at the CICCC.

Robin

To avoid difficulties experienced in Geelong maybe we should
identify specific suburbs for general public to look at applying.

Bro

Feel you should swap point 2 with point 6.

Robin

Rule out landscaping because so easy to get done once then fall
into neglect.

Bro

Projects should be viable in their own right.  Leave for next
level of assessment.

Michael

Project able to be completed with a one off donation

Robin

Change incorporated to “constituted” eg bank account number and
ABN.

Ian

Change wording to organization.

Robin

Whatever the words the term “Not-for-Profit” in hyphenation needs
to be added.

Carlo

Thinking about putting a form on the website so it can be
downloaded, completed and posted to Terminals.

Robin

Grants are a great idea and commend Terminals.

 

The committee thoroughly supported Terminals
proposed initiative.

 

 

ITEM 4.       REPORTS
FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS

 

CITY OF MARIBYRONG

 

Theo

Nothing in the way of planning that would affect Terminals.

 

I have a change of role – Manager Risk & Emergency
Management, Public Liability Prevention.

 

Council having a change in focus – previous Coode Island
budget for providing catering has been cut at meetings.

 

·                 
Priority is to maintain assets,

·                 
Council corporate plan renewal of the city,

·                 
Maintenance of ageing infrastructure

·                 
Going back to straight business plan to focus
more on core         council activities

 

Within three years Council plans to have zero debt. I will send
council plan to Robin for distribution.  Strict business plan that
council is sticking to in the future.

Robin

Who is the CEO?

Theo

Vince Haining

ACTION

Theo to send Council Plan to Robin for distribution.

 

ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

 

Not in attendance.  No report issued.

 

TERMINALS PTY LTD

 

Gary

Discussed the incidents.

 

Incident on 17/10/13 – Electrical connection to circuit
breaker.  Conducted a Tool Box on site with contractors to highlight
fault.  This was a manufacturing fault.  All sites were made aware
of fault.

 

Incident on 21/10/13 – Hose fell – Conducted Tool Box talk.

 

Incident on 22/10/13 – Horseplay incident where ball was
being kicked around the room hitting operator in the eye – Tool Box
talk conducted.

 

Incident on 12/11/13 – Slopping hose connection fitting
broke – Inspect all other similar fittings, since modified piece of
equipment.

 

Incident 3/01/14 – Truck driver medical condition whilst on
site, operators providing medical assistance.

 

Incident on 22/01/14 – Operator slipped – Elevated
floor, new concrete base.

Robin

Report was excellent.  Concerning the incident on 17/10/13, a
note that the supplier had rectified the faults at no cost to Terminals would
have been useful.

Ian

Terminals reporting is excellent. 

Graphs

 

Robin

Bottom graph tells me the best information.

Carlo

2002 Combustor came on, 2003 massive throughput.

Robin

Need to put a footnote saying electricity, gas and diesel
usage.  Another footnote against 2003 and 2004 explaining high level of
usage.

Carlo

The big change was gas usage.

Robin

Write a little preamble at top about the history to enable better
understanding of the graph.

Carlo

Instead of showing throughput show overall emissions compared to
now.

Robin

Like the idea of having more than 1 chart middle one not required.

Ian

We should be looking at figures holding or steady decrease.

ACTION

Carlo to further refine the way information on throughput and
greenhouse gases for the April meeting.

Carlo

I wish to let you all know the company is up for sale.

 

ITEM 5.       OTHER
BUSINESS

 

Ian

Proximity between industries and sensitive communities.  This
morning I went on official visit to Gellibrand.  BAE systems are
concerned as are Mobil.  Neither EPA nor Worksafe have made submissions
to VCAT.   The paper on vegetable oil as fuel, I will email to you;
it is to become a thesis.

Robin

PADHI could you put in a website link to that.

ACTION

Ian to email Robin a link to the PADHI website for distribution to
the committee.

 

ITEM 6.       SITE
INSPECTION

 

We will have a site inspection at the end of the year, too late in
the day now to go on a site inspection.

 

NEXT SCHEDULED MEETINGS: 

 

Meeting dates for 2014

Tuesday 22 April – 3pm at the Maribyrnong Council Municipal
Office.  Tuesday, 12 August, 3pm at the Maribyrnong Council Municipal
Office; and Tuesday 11th November – 3pm at Terminals Coode
Island office.

 

 

MEETING CLOSED 6:00pm