COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

WEDNESDAY, 29TH
FEBRUARY, 2012

Meeting held at
Terminals’ site office, Coode Island at 3:00 pm

 

PRESENT

Ian Thomas
Community
Rep./Committee

Paul Hayward
Engineering
Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Michael
Isaachsen
Community
Rep./Committee

Peter La Rose
Operations Manager,
Terminals Pty Ltd

Faye Simpson
Community
Rep./Committee

Susan
Chatterton
Minute Taker

Theo Pykoulas
City of Maribyrnong

Robin
Saunders
:
Chair

Bro
Sheffield-Brotherton
Community
Rep./Committee

Jessamy
Nicholas
:
EPA Victoria

 

 

ITEM 1.       WELCOME BY THE CHAIR,
APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT AGENDA

Robin
        Apologies:   Carlo Fasolino, Deborah MacFarlane

                    Draft
Agenda confirmed

ITEM 2.       CONFIRM DRAFT MINUTES FOR
THE MEETING 8 December, 2011.  No previous Action Items listed.

                    Query 2010-11 Report
to EPA (missing data from first half of 2010)

                    Query “Industry as
Neighbour” web site : Terminals not listed as Industry Neighbour.

 

 

                    The
draft Minutes of the meeting on 8 December 2011 were adopted without change.

Robin         Ian
has raised the matter of a site inspection . We need to have any site
inspection at the beginning of a meeting here at Coode Island, perhaps at 3pm
prior to the next meeting.

Peter          I
need to have operators stay back to escort you around site, and that must be
arranged in advance.

Michael      Happy
to wait until the meeting 28th November, 2012 for site visit.

                    The
Committee adopted Michael’s suggestion, and a site visit will be put on the
agenda for the 28 November meeting, at 3:00 pm.

Robin         Carlo
has sent me Annual Performance Statements to EPA which I have put on CICCC website
(it was also put on EPA website).  Up to and including 2009, the reports were
for calendar years. Then EPA then changed the reporting period to the financial
year, with the next report being for the 2010-2011 year. That process has left
a void in reporting for the first six months of 2010.  Similarly, the annual
community reports have had a similar change from calendar year to financial
year at the same times. It would make the record complete if the missing six
months could be reported in some form.

                    I
understand that the EPA’s requirements for annual reporting for an accredited
site have undergone a further change, and are now called Annual Performance
Statements.

ACTION:  Carlo
to advise whether the first six months in 2010 can be reported on to fill the
gap in the annual reports, and the new annual reporting arrangements that
Terminals will adopt in relation to both EPA and the Community.

Robin         I
recently looked at the MFB web site referred to by Theo at the last meeting. It
can be found at www.industryasneighbours.com.au
and it allows individuals and companies to subscribe and receive warnings. I
have done so, and Committee members may also wish to subscribe.

                    I
noticed that while a number of companies such as Qenos, Dow, Caltex and Orica
are listed prominently as Industry Neighbours, Terminals is not listed. I wish
to draw this to the attention of Terminals.

.
Theo         Theo advised of a joint MFB, Maribyrnong Council and Hobsons Bay
initiative “When Industry Is Your Neighbour – What to do in an emergency”
(www.maribyrnong.vic.gov.au/page/page.asp?page_id=848)
This web site has a pointer to the MFB site, and is available in 15 community
languages. The next Council mail out to 30,000 addresses will be promoting the
Shelter in Place newsletter.

ACTION:  Carlo
to consider whether Terminals wants to be listed as a Neighbour on the MFB web
site.

                   

ITEM 3.       REPORTS FROM AGENCIES AND
TERMINALS

 

ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION
AUTHORITY

 

Jessamy   Tabled the EPA
Activity Report (attached)

·   EPA will be
undertaking site inspections with rigorous assessment of the 2011 Annual
Performance Statements by the end of June 2012.

·   EPA are going to
conduct a blitz on illegal dumping in selected areas of the Melbourne Metro
Region

·   A new iPhone App
will encourage people to report illegal littering

 

Faye           Expressed concern that malicious or
erroneous reports may unfairly target innocent people. She asked how many
reports need to be made before EPA takes action?

 

Jessamy   People get a warning
first, then a fine.  Your concern is definitely an issue to raise at the EPA. We
want to make is as easy as possible to report infringements, but people’s
rights must be considered.. 

 

ACTION:  Jessamy
to report back the relevant procedure at EPA for responding to community
reports of illegal littering, and measures to avoid erroneous or malicious
reports.

Robin         thanked Jessamy
and asked that she email Activity Report to him in advance to meetings.

 

 

TERMINALS PTY LTD   

 

Peter          Peter talked the
committee through the Operations Report and discussed the incidents.   

                   

                    Peter
advised that the WorkSafe MHF licence renewal procedure will be undertaken this
year. Five or six WorkSafe inspectors will be on site for one and a half weeks.

 

MARIBYRNONG CITY
COUNCIL

 

Theo              I organised a
meeting a couple of weeks ago with Terminals as part of an organisation review
with new General Manager Corporate Services – Stephen Wall.

 

                   Stephen met with
Robin, Carlo and Peter.  A full report of the meeting was provided in Robin’s
memo dated 19 February 2012, which was sent to all Committee Members.

 

                   Stephen is
happy for Council to continue support of the committee. 

 

 

Robin        As set out in
Robin’s report, the work done by the Committee in 2001 to review its
Objectives, Roles of Committee Members, and Membership are in fact the amended
Terms of Reference. The Committee agreed that the changes recommended by the
Chair should be implemented.

 

                  Carlo has in
mind to the extend the role of committee in a way similar to an aspect of the
GCEG.  Carlo will address the committee next meeting on this matter. At
Geelong, Committee members discussed with local schools to determine if there
they had particular needs that might be assisted by Terminals. Subsequently
Terminals followed up some leads, and made two $5000 grants to local schools which
met the assessment criteria proposed by Terminals.

 

Bro             I feel there is
a conflict of interest both real and perceived.

 

Peter         Carlo wants
committee to give back to the community.

 

Faye          When Carlo
develops a proposal and brings it back to the committee we will decide then. 
I am concerned there is a conflict of interest.

 

ACTION:  Robin to
amend the web site, deleting the heading “Terms of Reference” from the
Initiating Report, and adding it to the revised Mission Statement and Role.

 

 

ITEM  4.      REVIEW OF PROGRESS WITH 3RD
EIP

                   

Paul            went through the
current EIP Action Report, dated February 2012.

 

Robin         Queried the note
against the East Side groundwater monitoring (“Assessment complete, waiting on
EPA feedback to stop monitoring”)

Paul            Monitoring levels
are extremely low and Terminals want to stop monitoring.  Paul asked Jessamy if
the EPA would agree. 

                    . 

                        The
Committee discussed the Waste Minimisation item on page 3, and agreed that it
should read “Extend burning of flammable wastes on site to include combustible
wastes.”

    

 

Paul            Monitoring
levels are extremely low and Terminals want to stop monitoring.  Paul asked
Jessamy if the EPA would agree. 

 

General       Page 3
of EIP “Waste Minimisation” – Target Objective to be altered to read
Discussion “Extend burning of flammable
wastes on site to include combustible wastes”.

 

                    Target dates
(particularly on page 3) also need to be altered on report, and the comment
that EPA and worksafe are satisfied should be removed, along with the Regulatory
Sign off column, as EPA no longer signs off items in an EIP

 

    

 

 

ACTION:  Jessamy
to make enquiries regarding stopping the monitoring of groundwater on the East
Side and report back to the next meeting.

 

ACTION:  Paul to
make corrections to the February 2012 EIA Action Report update and provide it
to the Committee members prior to the May meeting.

                                                  

 

Robin         The
present EIP does not expire until the end of 2012, so discussion on the new EIP
will be deferred until the November meeting

 

ITEM 6.       MONITORING PROGRAM

Robin         Emailed to everyone Peter’s report on the Monitoring
Progam for Terminals Pty Ltd Coode Island Facility.and will be put on the CICCC
website.  Blue print of how Terminals monitor their tanks.

Bro              There are a few acronyms that need explaining.  For
example ERV, PRV and VV.  Could they be explained prior to the document being
put on the website?

 

ACTION: Paul to have the acronyms spelled out and sent to Robin

Faye           Does this reflect your computer monitoring?

Paul            An Excell spreadsheet is used whereby a planner is
on the wall where it is visible.  Running sheets, work orders, spreadsheets are
all hyperlinked.

Robin         When we have the site inspection in November can we
have a run through the maintenance system?

Peter          That would be fine.

 

MEETING CLOSED  – 5:15pm

 

NEXT MEETING            31st May, 2012 at the City of
Maribyrnong at 6:30 pm

 

FURTHER MEETING DATES FOR 2012       30 August and 28 November
(includes site visit and maintenance schedule inspection)