Get this as a Word document

COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

Adopted Minutes

Thursday 24 February 2000

 

PRESENT

Robin Saunders

Faye Simpson

Peter Reddie

Dr. Peter Brotherton

Greg Twitt

Marg Leser

Ian Swann

Cathy Aktypis

Deborah Macfarlan

Ian Gibson

Ian Thomas

Frank Fichera

Ted Towson

Carlo Fasolino

Trevor Perkins

George Horman

Mathew Wylie

Kevin Shea (Chair, Coode Island Users Group)

Jim Clement (EPA)

Doug Buchanan (EPA)

Wayne Jarman (Terminals consultant)

Mar Cahill (Terminals consultant)

David James (web page designer)

Vanessa Richardson

 

 

 

ITEM 1. WELCOME BY THE CHAIR

 

The chairperson welcomed the committee and others in attendance.

 

ITEM 2. APOLOGIES

 

Councillors Brennan and Cowan.

 

 

ITEM 3. CONFIRMATION OF AGENDA

 

There were a number of additions to the agenda

 

  • Recent government press release regarding the future of the Terminals site at Coode Island

 

 

  • Support for the City of Maribyrnong’s project submission for Federal

Government Funding

 

  • The Holden Dock incident.

 

  • The Yarraville hydrogen gas escape incident.

 

ITEM 4. Minutes of the Previous Meeting
There were a number of amendments to the minutes of the previous meeting

 

4.1 page 5

Remove paragraph starting ‘WorkCover advised…’ and replace with the following:

 

‘WorkCover advised that they administer the regulation of health effects of benzene (and other chemical) emissions on employees/workers on site, and on impacts – both on site and off site – from major hazards such as explosions.

EPA administers the regulations of health effects associated with emissions from industry, and the Department of Human Services administers the regulations of the general health effects of air quality on the community.

The issue of the scope of the various regulatory regimes will be further clarified during later meetings.

 

4.2 page 6

Remove paragraph starting ‘Matthew said…’ and replace with the following:

 

‘Matthew said that legislation administered by the EPA is designed to cover the short and long term exposures associated with emissions from industry.’

 

4.3

Robin to review Nick Hardy’s comments on the draft minutes relating to his presentation to the CICCC and make any necessary amendments.

 

4.4

Frank was an apology.

 

 

ACTION ITEMS.

 

  • Coode Island Committee Update – Robin.

See attachment 1

Robin circulated a list of media outlets to whom he had circulated the January Update.

.

ACTION. Deborah to fax local media article to Robin.

 

 

  • Website – Robin

The development of the web site is proceeding well. There were 50 hits in January 2000 and 80 in Feb 2000. However there have been no e-mails to Robin seeking further information or making comments.

Providers of search engines are commonly very slow to add new sites, and David James is contacting them on a monthly basis.

The web address has been included in the last 2 CICCC press releases.

 

Address:  www.ciccc.org

 

See attachment 8.

Robin tabled the list of contacts that will be included on the web site. Those names in bold text will be added.

 

ACTION. Include a link to the web site of PACIA and MFESB.

 

Kathy suggested the CICCC place paid advertisements of the web address in local papers. It is probable that the announcement may be done as a community service.

 

ACTION. Robin to investigate the above.

 

  • Small Scale Plans of MHF – Peter Reddie.

George Horman will provide these during the next month.

 

4.4.4 Hawaii Disaster Warning Plans – EM S/C – Marg

George has a copy of the report that he retrieved from the Internet. It lists warnings given to the Hawaiian community. They have been given for the past 40 years on the when imminent disasters are predicted as a result of tsunamis caused by earthquakes.

Deborah said she was interested to know if the plan of action for the community was a useful model for consideration should evacuations be required in Melbourne.

 

George said that there was a plan and it was useful to look at, but that its usefulness was dubious because there had been many false alarms that had adversely affected the community’s pattern of response.

ACTION. George to further investigate information from Hawaii about how emergency communications are made.

ACTION. The HSE will look at the report in more detail.

 

 

 

  • Design Precautions for earthquakes – George.

George said he thought that there were no specific design requirements because earthquakes were not a problem in this area.

ACTION. George to ask the advice of the consultants who are designing facilities at Terminals site regarding this matter.

 

  • Pollution Levels in Footscray – Greg Twitt.

The monitoring occurs at Inward Street, Footscray.

It measures the pollution in the atmosphere and includes levels of carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide. It is measuring particles under 10 micrograms in size that reduce visibility. It does not measure chemicals like benzine or acreylates.

The particle readings in Footscray are similar to readings in other parts of the Melbourne metropolitan area. The measurements exceed recommended levels on one or 2 days per year.

This information is available to the public in an EPA booklet.

 

Peter Brotherton pointed out that the CICCC wanted details on air toxins in the area rather than the information that had been presented by Greg.

 

Greg said that he thought the Footscray area was still within the standard and that standard had been recently increased.

 

 

  • Recent government press release regarding the future of the Terminals site at Coode Island.

See attachment 2.

Peter Reddie said that the new state government supported the previous government’s position that the Terminals facility stays at Coode Island. The new Government requires that Terminals achieve an ‘upgrade to the highest feasible standard’, as soon as possible.

The upgrade will require that half of the site will relocate from the eastern side of McKenzie Road to the old BP site on the western side of the road. This is to be done as early as possible. The Tallo master site on the NE corner will remain.

The purpose for the upgrade is to solve all the present and potential environmental and safety problems.

The move will enable upgraded facilities for the management of benzine emissions and Acrylate (component of paint) storage. Acrylate while not very toxic has a very low odour threshold. The upgrade will eliminate any odour problems and leave a greater distance between the Terminals site and the P&O site. The move has to take place as early as possible and be completed by 2004.

See attachment 3

Peter showed a list the materials that will move from the east to the west side of the road. He said that while it will mean more facilities will be closer to residential areas, the safety standards of the new facilities will be greatly improved to those presently operational on the western side. Ultimately the residents’ safety will be better protected after the move to the newer facilities. Some combustible items like crude benzine will have a new tank.

See attachment 4.1 and 4.2.

Some facilities on the west of McKenzie Road will also be upgraded (see attachment 2 Stage 2 and Stage 3, marked with an  X ). Some will go to the new BP site. Some of these to be upgraded are storage facilities for flammable and combustible materials.

Ian T questioned the wisdom of moving some facilities closer to the residential areas particularly when some of the facilities on the Eastern side were already meeting the highest standards. He said he believed it was because P & O wanted more land to expand their operations. Ian T also said that the community should be made aware that the Task Force warned against a move of facilities closer to the residential areas.

The CICCC discussed the importance of having P& O as a member of the CICCC.

 

Peter B said that the Government’s decision had been based on the Task Force recommendations. He also said that the Task Force reasoning for its recommendations regarding the siting of Terminals at Coode had not been transparent, nor had the Task Force been consultative in its dealings with the community. He suggested that the CICCC request an open process so that the findings of the Task Force can be tested.

Peter R said that there was still time to consider a variety of options in regard to what should move where on the east and western sides of the site. He said the maximum storage volume of some materials could also be reconsidered so that the outcome is better than that which presently exists. The move to the BP site would mean that every tank was situated on an internal roadway so that it could be easily accessed by emergency vehicles if need be.

 

Frank asked for details about the government’s stated legal concerns, should they change the agreements already put in place by the Kennett government.

Robin said that the previous government had signed contracts with numerous companies regarding operations on Coode Island and that to go back on these contracts might mean that the government could be sued.

Frank said that this did not apply to Terminals, as they had not signed a contract with the government. Therefore Terminals could still be moved with out the risk that the government might be sued. Frank said this matter required further investigation by the CICCC.

Peter B queried the government’s decision to refuse to release their legal opinion on this matter.

Peter R said that as far back as Aug ’98 it was decided that Terminals remain at Coode Island.

Marg said that while in caretaker mode, the new minister had told some members of the CICCC that the new Government was considering moving Terminals from Coode Island

 

ACTION.

Robin to write to the Premier to express the Committee’s concern about the basis for the decision and the lack of consultation. The issues of litigation and legal advice, moving of materials closer to residents, cost estimate discrepancies, and support for the City of Maribyrnong in its call for a review of the decision are to be included in the letter.

 

ACTION.

CICCC Press release for local state and national distribution. To cover the following points

  • Lack of review and community consultation
  • Bracks (when in caretaker mode) said they would explore all alternatives to relocate Terminals.
  • Liability issue not relevant to Terminals site moving elsewhere.

 

Ian Gibson said that the Maribyrnong City Council had issued a Press Release and had written to the government reiterating that

  1. The siting of Terminals at Coode Island was inappropriate, and seeking a review of the decision.
  2. The State Government should reimburse the Maribyrnong City Council for the constraints the site placed on the City of Maribyrnong.
  3. Asked for a review of the decision in light of local government boundaries
  4. Government should give further consideration to other possible alternatives.

See attachment 5. HazMAG press release.

The CICCC discussed working with HazMAG again at some stage in the future.

Marg said at this stage it was probably more important that the CICCC continue to be open with our information on the web page so groups like HazMAG are kept well informed.

 

See attachment 6

Peter Reddie said that Terminals are obliged to push forward to improve the site ASAP.

The process will be to prepare a process (with CICCC involvement) to follow. Public consultation will be sought regarding how best to move and upgrade the facilities at Coode Island.

The bar chart is at draft stage. The Future emissions Strategy was given to EPA last year and a response was received in Dec ’99. It involves a variety of possible layouts for the site with various risk contour configurations. These will be shared with the CICCC.

The EPA Works Approval application is expected to be lodged by 1 May. Robin said that the CICCC has two meetings before 1 May to consider all the necessary information. George said that most of the information would be presented at the April meeting because it won’t be ready by March.

Peter Reddie said the main time that the community would be involved in consultation would be after the EPA submission at which time the CICCC will be further involved. If need be, time lines can be extended so that the necessary consultation can occur. George will have a more detailed idea of time lines at the next March meting.

Peter R said the proposal would be presented to the EPA after visibility to the CICCC has occurred, and then it can be reviewed again, once it has been presented to the EPA. He said Terminals want community input early on in the process.

George said that by the end of March they would have a better idea of the future storage requirements of their clients. They will have some idea of the gross layout by then, so that the design of facilities can then proceed. There will be alternative design plans made available to the CICCC for consideration.

ACTION. George will present details of the appropriate time lines that the CICCC will need to meet so that the necessary consultation meetings can be arranged.

 

Peter Brotherton said that the time lines were a bit fast and that there was a risk that people may feel closed out.

Peter R said that Terminals would go back to the government and ask for an extension of time should it be needed.

There was general support for the proposition that more time be allocated prior to the lodging of the EPA Works Approval application. It was noted that the 7 months shown in the bar chart for processing the application could probably be reduced, particularly if more consultation were undertaken before the lodging. Overall, the time lines could be maintained.

Matthew said there would be a formal assessment of the process proposed.

 

4.4.8 Support for the City of Maribyrnong submission for Federal Government Funding.

The Maribyrnong City Council has applied for Federal Government funding for their Maribyrnong Emergency Management Project. The funding will enable suitable communication with different communities and cultural groups within the shire, should an emergency occur.

 

Ian Gibson requested that the CICCC endorse the submission. The CICCC said that they did endorse this in principal.

 

Trevor said that the Victorian fire services have a similar multi lingual program in place and that they too would support such a program.

 

Deborah suggested that other councils in the region might also want to be partners in this project. Maybe up to 6 councils.

ACTION Marg Leser will liaise with Ian Gibson to support the application on behalf of CICCC. The application will be finalised and submitted in the next few days.

 

ITEM 5. Correspondence

 

5.1 Chris Vicary from P & O.

Kevin Shea has offered for Chris Vicary the new manger at P&O to address the CICCC meeting in March, and the offer was accepted by the CICCC with pleasure. He also reported that the Coode Island Users Group were unanimous in their support for working co operatively with the CICCC.

The CICCC discussed information details they required from P&O:
• P& O should be visible about the types of products they stored on site and about their procedures for handling dangerous goods.

  • What is the proposed new design for their terminal when it expands and will the risk profile change?
  • Information about tonnages and truck movements would be important to assess.
  • Information about the volumes stored in containers and bulk containers.
  • Specific written information about quantities and types of materials stored that can be assessed by CICCC members after the meeting.
  • An overview of the management approaches (as is expected in the safety case documentation) at the P& O terminal.

ACTION. Kevin will brief Chris about the queries that the CICCC have and if people have further topics of relevance please relay them to Kevin. He can be contacted directly by fax: 98891534. Chris will address the CICCC for 15 minutes, followed by questions.

 

5.2 Robin spoke and wrote to the National Union of Workers, inviting them to send a representative to the CICCC meetings, as they had sought Robin had expected that a representative of NUW would attend tonight’s meeting.

ACTION. Robin to phone the above group re future meeting attendance.

 

 

 

ITEM 6. Effectiveness Review – Questionnaire – Faye.

Faye has received responses from 45 – 50% of the CICCC. The responses have been very honest. She will allow one more week for responses to be sent to her.

Robin suggested the responses could be an input to the brief for the consultant who will review the CICCC in future.

ACTION. Faye will fax further copies of the questionnaire to Marg and Ian T.

 

ACTION. Ian Swann and Faye will work together on the brief for the consultant, and Ian S will present a draft of this to the CICCC at the next meeting.

ACTION. Robin will fax the original formation documents for CICCC to Ian S to see if the CICCC has drifted from its original objectives.

ACTION. Greg will forward some details regarding possible consultants for the review to Ian S.

 

 

ITEM 7. Report on Responses from Human Services and EPA on Health and Morbidity.

See attachment 7.

 

Robin spoke to Jan Bowman (Department of Human Services). Jan said that the department’s response was included in statements made in the letter from the EPA dated 24 February 2000. It was not apparent in the letter from EPA that this was so.

ACTION. Greg will follow up on the above matter.

 

Faye said that the CICCC requires information of the kind collated at the asthma testing sites and the ‘clusters of illness’ statistics collated for the Melbourne Metropolitan area.

ACTION. Robin will organise a meeting for Faye and himself with Jan Bowman to discuss the above.

 

ACTION. Matthew offered to present a paper (with the assistance as necessary of WorkCover and other departments) to the CICCC which would set out the responsibilities of the various Government Departments working under various Acts and regulations, categorised under:

on-site and off-site

mortality and morbidity

acute and chronic effects

licensed and fugitive emissions

requirement for QRA

Worldwide practices and reference standards would also be provided.

 

ITEM 8. Manchester Agreement Concept.

This had been deferred to the next meeting. Ian will prepare and circulate a paper on this topic in the next 2 weeks.

 

ITEM 9. EMS Report Held Over from 24 November 1999.

Marg apologised for not forwarding the minutes to the CICCC this month. There was a meeting of Emergency Response Officers from 5 councils.

Marg reported the Coode Island Users Group are developing a Users Plan.

 

Trevor is making sure that all linkages in the State Emergency Plan are in place. Some things need revision.

Cathy said that another emergency management Community Forum would be held in March. She suggested that CICCC members who spoke at the previous forums might like to do the same in March.  The date will be one of the following March 27, 29 or 31.

Marg said that the EMS sub-committee achievements would be included on the web site soon. It will describe how Emergency Management practises differ today from those in practise in 1991. There will be a link to the State Fire Brigade and to Dangerous Goods information.

George said that on March 26 the Terminals facility at Geelong would be open to the public.

Ian S said that a range of companies in Melbourne, Sydney and Perth will have an open door day on the 25 and 26 of March. Altona will be open. Contact Ian S for further details.

 

ITEM 10. HSE Sub committee Report.

 

Ian said he is concerned that meetings of this sub committee have been cancelled due to lack of participation from members. The next meeting is 7 or 8 March and then another this month to look at the Concept Stage of the proposed Terminals plan for redevelopment.

 

ITEM 11. Presentation of Dangerous Goods Regulations – Matthew Wylie.

Held over to the next meeting.

 

 

ITEM 12. Agenda for Next Meeting

 

  1. New Terminals site plan developments
  2. Attendance and presentation of P& O Ports
  3. Matthew‘s report
  4. EMS sign off of items
  5. Flier for Community Forum

 

ITEM 13. Other Business

 

13.1 Holden Dock Incident

A petrol spill from a tug occurred 1 km from the terminals site at the Holden Dock. Kevin said it was difficult to determine who had been responsible for the incident. Those involved included the Australian Maritime Authority, Shell and the tug operator. It was a bulk tanker on the water. The incident was reported to the Victorian Channel Authority (Federal Government Body) and was not required to be reported to the EPA or WorkCover.

Trevor said that the fire services are only responsible for fire that occurs above the waters edge.

 

Ian S said that Shell were members of the Australian Institute of Petroleum. He will get a summary of the incident for the next meeting of CICCC. If it had escalated it could have been a major incident.

ACTION        Ian Swann to provide further advice at the next meeting.

 

 

13.2 Yarraville Incident.

Trevor said the fire authorities received a notification 3rd alarm when a release of Hydrogen occurred, when a vehicle was being filled. There was a leak in the line or at the relief valve and a fire had ignited, which burned for one hour. Good systems to deal with such an incident, were in place.

 

13.3 Terminals Monthly Operations & Occurrence Report.

See attachment 9.

There has been a lot of truck and shipping activity throughout the month. The first worker injury resulting in lost time occurred in 2 years was reported – it was a twisted ankle.

 

Terminals were fined $800 for the illegal incident recorded in the report. The operators were trying to control pressures and in so doing had not used the scrubbers.

 

Carlo said that the carbon beds were still operating over the allowable limits, but the present level was still better than ever before.

 

Matthew asked if there were any common causal factors appearing in these reports.

Carlo said that shipping and trucking incidents appeared to be an on going concern over a 12 month period.  George said that many of the operating systems on the site were old and in need of an upgrade. He said Terminals have wanted to upgrade many of these for the past 8 years. Once the facility is upgraded there will be less incidents.

 

Peter R said that Terminals have started discussion with the Port Authority regarding leases.

 

13.4     Robin noted that the meeting schedule does not extend beyond 20 April, and undertook to circulate a list of proposed dates for the coming year.

 

 

CLOSE

 

11.10 p.m.

 

 

Next meetings             Thursday 23 March

Thursday 20 April

 

 

 

 

CICCC ATTACHMENTS TO DRAFT MINUTES February 2000

 

Attachment   1          Possible Media contacts.

                                    Letter to Robert Glavich

Attachment    2          Plan of the Terminals site.

Attachment    3          Proposed product movements to the BP site.

Attachment    4.1       Proposed product movements to the BP site.

4.2       Proposed product movements on the upgraded site.

Attachment    5          Press Release – Colleen Hartland

Attachment    6          Terminals Bar Chart for Redevelopment Plans at Coode Island.
Attachment    7          EPA correspondence to CICCC, 24 Feb 2000.

Attachment    8          CICCC Web Page – suggested contact details for inclusion.

Attachment    9          Terminals Monthly Operations Report          

 

 

** These attachments will be sent by post to those who have received e-mailed minutes.