Get this as a Word document

COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

Minutes of Meeting

Thursday 23 September 1999

 

PRESENT

Robin Saunders

Frank Fichera

Renae Krousouratis

Ian Thomas

Ben Hines (RMIT student)

Greg Twitt

Scott Maloney

Ted Towson

George Horman

Carlo Fasolino

Peter Reddie

Dr. Peter Brotherton

Ian Gibson

Faye Simpson

Marg Leser

Gary Kenny

Vanessa Richardson

 

 

ITEM 1. WELCOME BY THE CHAIR

 

The chairperson welcomed the committee and others present at the meeting.

 

ITEM 2. APOLOGIES

 

Apologies were received from Cr. Martin Brennan, Jim Smith, Robert Glavich and Trevor Perkins.

 

ITEM 3. CONFIRMATION OF AGENDA

 

The draft agenda for the 26 August 1999 meeting was accepted by the CICCC. It was agreed that the monthly report on operations at Coode Island would be taken after 5.

 

ITEM 4. MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING, ACTION ITEMS.

 

Amendements to Previous Minutes

 

  1. Amend Page 7, 1st paragraph. It should read

‘….Terminals are intending to make a submission….on September 17, 1999. They would then await comments.’

 

  1. Ian Thomas was present at the last meeting.

Ian Thomas presented a paper at a recent Major Hazards conference with Peter Reddie See Attachment 1, which is the overheads of a paper by Peter Reddie, not a joint paper.

 

  1. The correct name is Melbourne Port Corporation . The minutes should read that the new piles at the berth would be ‘bored,’ and not ‘screwed’.

 

Action Items

 

  1. Websites

 

EPA, Scott Maloney.

The EPA has decided it would not be appropriate for them to have community group  information included on the EPA web site. They say Local Government probably best performs this function. However they wish to continue to give ongoing support to the CICCC.

 

Terminals, Peter Reddie.

See Attachment 2

Peter tabled a proposal from Professional Relationship Marketing Pty Ltd.

 

Robin Saunders

See Attachment 3

Tabled the Community Information Victoria proposal.

 

There was discussion about both proposals and the following points were made:

  • There is a need to show the public that we are going through an exhaustive process

on this CICCC

  • The size of the site may affect the overhead costs
  • Maintenance costs estimated at $250 per month – both proposals
  • Have a Summary Page with links to more information like the EPA, Terminals and

WorkCover sites

  • Use a graphic designer to do the graphics
  • A link for a page about the accident at Coode in 1991, with references
  • We don’t want to be a Terminals site, so some information should go on a

Terminals site rather than CICCC site

  • Robin offered to maintain the web site on a monthly basis
  • Using the Community Information Victoria proposal makes the site more

independent of Terminals

  • The provision of material to go on the web site to go through the CICCC and not

Terminals

 

The Committee decided to implement the Professional Relationship Marketing Pty Ltd proposal. Peter Reddie will ask Andrew to proceed with the proposal, and to make arrangements for the firm to contact Robin so that he can be the contact point for the development and upkeep of the website.

 

ACTION. Andrew and Robin will report progress at the next meeting.

 

 

  1. Environmental List Development

 

Peter B. to continue to follow up.

 

  1. Committee Membership

ACTION. Peter Brotherton will follow up and report to the Committee on this matter at the next meeting.

 

  1. PMA to Notify Design Tonnage of Dolphins

John Bennett, Manager Property Development, in an e-mail to the CICCC of 7 Sept, 1999 made the following points:

  1. The design vessel tonnage is 35,000 Deadweight Tonnes (DWT). The specification is in the form of a ‘design & construct” so that the successful tenderer will determine the specific design arrangement

 

  1. In Dec 1997 the MPC directed that all vessels using the berth at No.1 Maribyrnong must berth bow downstream

 

  1. The spit of land on the river side of Holden Dock was removed in the mid-eighties to allow rapid exit from the docks should an emergency occur and to allow general access for wider vessels.

 

 

  1. EPA Buffer Zone Requirements

See Attachment 4 (which refers to “buffer distances” — “buffer zones” do not appear to be used now by EPA in this context)

 

Greg Twitt made a short presentation to the Committee. The Recommended Buffer Distances are designed to cover ‘one off incidents’ that may occur as a result of accidents. The purpose is to provide protection for the general amenity of the surrounding area (ie protection from odours).  The safety aspect of facilities are regulated by VWA, while environmental issues relating to routine emissions (ie not from accidental releases) from industry are regulated through SEPPs and Works Approval and Licenses.

 

For a site like Coode Island the EPA recommended buffer distance is 1,000 meters, however the EPA can make variations to this.  These variations can only be made after consideration of the following factors

  1. The level of technological controls at the site
  2. Environmental audits
  3. History of complaints arising from residual emissions
  4. The size of the plant and the volume of material stored
  5. Exceptional topographic/meteorological characteristics

 

EPA will consider a site specific variation to the recommended buffer distance for the Terminals site as part of the planning permit process for the upgrade of the facility.

 

ACTION. The EPA will provide copies of the Information Bulletin Recommended Buffer Distances for Industrial Residual Air Emissions to the CICCC.

 

Faye asked if the Buffer Distance changes when things change on a site.

Greg said that if things change, specific proposals have to be submitted by the company to the EPA before the changes occur. Should a planning permit be required from Council for the changes, Council refers the planning permit application to EPA for consideration of the buffer distance. EPA then considers whether to allow a site specific variation to the recommended buffer distance based on the five points outlined above. If EPA does not approve the variation to the buffer distance, it notifies the Council, who then may decide to reject the planning permit based on EPA’s advice.

 

Should complaints relating to residual air emissions (ie emissions caused by accidents etc) be received, EPA may require the site to conduct remedial action, for example by improving the air emission control technology.

 

Greg pointed out that the recommended buffer distances are in place to protect sensitive use land from accidental emissions. The site’s licence to operate covers the day to day operations, which must comply with SEPP.

 

Robin asked if there had been any infringements of the buffer zone since 1991. Scott said that there had been one complaint from a community group about Acrylate odours. All complaints are recorded and investigated by the EPA.

 

  1. Planning Scheme Requirements for Coode Buffer Zone

 

Ian said that the new planning scheme was held up by about 3 months due to the State Government Elections. He said the new scheme was very like the old one.

 

ACTION. Ian to provide details (which includes the new controls of the new Planning Scheme to go out with the Sept. minutes…Ian has  since advised, that these will be available as part of his presentation to the CICCC at the next meeting.

 

Marg asked if a new Government  Minister would change the Planning Scheme again. Ian said that amendments could be made.

Marg also asked if this is a matter that the CICCC could address with the Responsible Minister. Ian said that it would be appropriate and that the Maribyrnong City Council would be dealing with the matter in detail in future.

 

ACTION. Robin requested that in the future, the Maribyrnong City Council present a discussion paper to the CICCC, providing CICCC with advice on the planning control issue, which would provide a basis for CICCC to further consider the Buffer Protection zoning for the Coode Island.

 

  1. Details of any hazardous incidents at the P&O Ports Site.

 

George Horman will follow up with Trevor Perkins for a report at the next meeting.

 

  1. QRA Plan for Handling Bulk Liquids

See ITEM 8 on page 7.

 

  1. HSE Sub Committee List of Achievements for Sign off by the CICCC

This sub committee did not meet in the past month. Deferred to the next meeting unless earlier advice can be sent out before the next meeting.

ACTION. Peter R to get the List of Achievements from Andrew and give to Vanessa to be circulated with the minutes., if possible. List item on agenda for next meeting.

 

  1. Task Force Report and the Holding Tank at the Berth

Carlo looked at the Task Force report and found no mention of the holding tank at the berth.

 

 

ITEM 5. REPORT ON WORKCOVER AUDIT AT TERMINALS (RENAE KROUSOURATIS, TED TOWSON)

See Attachment 5

 

The Audit was conducted on 30 August 1999. This audit is carried out routinely every 6 months. It covers all matters under the Dangerous Goods Storage & Handling Regulations 1989 and other applicable regulations.

Members of the CICCC attended the audit for a short period of time and Ted Towson from the CICCC assisted with the audit for 10 hours.

Renae said that Terminals were doing a lot of self-auditing.

 

Some Directions were issued. They were

  1. Signage. Repainting of faded lettering and updating of some signs needed.
  2. 50 Year flood level. Ascertain flood level and check facility compliance.
  3. Repack Area. For repacking of materials into smaller containers. Ensure it is

secure.

  1. Tanks to be installed on permanent foundations.
  2. Maintenance of Forklifts. The maintenance records were required.
  3. Housekeeping. Attention to some rubbish tins and rubbish left on site.
  4. Tank Integrity. Pipe line records and tank line records were examined.
  5. Gas cylinder storage. Mixed class storage of incompatible gases.
  6. Bund integrity. This needs reviewing more often as there is a rabbit problem

on the site.

  1. Hose Testing. Some of the hoses were out of test. Carlo reported they were

new hoses that required tags.

A Notice was issued for the plant regulations that required updating.

 

The completion date for the Directions is 30 September 1999 and for the Notice 2 November 1999.

 

Robin enquired about dirt and plants on the base of some of the tanks and the probability of rust build up. Peter Reddie will check this.

 

ACTION. Peter Reddie to advise.

 

The CICCC HSE sub committee will examine the responses of Terminals to the audit. They revisit the site 12 October 1999.

 

Robin thanked Ted on behalf on the CICCC, for his assistance with the audit.

 

ITEM 6. COMMITTEE CORRESPONDENCE

 

See above minutes of the previous meeting.

 

ITEM 7.   OBJECTIVES FOR MELBOURNE CITY COUNCIL’S INVOLVEMENT IN CICCC

 

Martin Brennan gave an apology for tonight’s meeting.

 

ITEM 8. COODE ISLAND REDEVELOPMENT-PETER REDDIE.

 

Quantitative Risk Analysis.

 

Peter tabled 3 diagrams showing the individual risk contour around the Terminals site. The contour contains  an area where there is a one in 10,000,000 chance per year that a death will occur. This is about the same as the chance one has of being killed by a lighting strike. (Subsequent comment from Peter Brotherton clarified that the comparison does not allow for the fact that lightening is an involuntary risk, while the risk from Coode Island is an imposed risk on surrounding neighbours). Peter said the area within the 1 in 10 million risk contour did not include any residential areas.

See Attachment 7.

Diagram 1.      1994 risk profile

Diagram 2.      1997 risk profile for the present, which encompasses the P & O      container terminal risk. The profile is smaller because there was better information on the precise chemicals stored and their location, and there had been improvements in safety measures for the storage of materials at Coode.

Diagram 3.      a risk profile for when the redevelopment occurs and the BP site is developed. The contour moves north, to incorporate the risk from the BP site and is decreased overall a little because of the improvements in the technology used after the upgrade. Peter R said the northern part of the line needs to be assessed more accurately in the future.

 

ACTION. Ian Gibson to check that the 1 in 10 million risk contour area does not include any present or proposed residential development, and advise of recent residential developments within the EPA buffer distance from Coode Island

 

Faye and Peter B said that using figures for deaths is inappropriate and figures for health/illness should have been used instead.

 

Robin asked about the reliability and accuracy of the positioning of the risk contours.

The same company did the assessment for all three maps. It is the assessment of the storage technology on site that determines the placement of the lines.  They have a model into which they factor changes to the measures over time. They use a database with a relative measure. The EPA also uses this company.

 

Peter B said that in the health area there is a measure of uncertainty included (qualitative measure).

Faye said that the qualitative measure should come before the quantitative measures. The ratios for illness would be very different to those for deaths. All these measures are only as good as the definitions that they start with.

There was discussion about the consideration of short and longterm illness from prolonged exposures and from ‘one off’ incidents like the fire in 1991 where many in the community were concerned about the health effects of the single incident. Marg said there was (and is) nowhere of an official nature for the public to report such health effects if they occurred so the data has not been collected.

 

Robin said it was in everyone’s interest that measures include QRA terms of morbidity. He asked what the World Standard might be in this regard.

 

ACTION. Peter B to look at the task Force report recommendation regarding the community’s concerns re health matters.

 

The EPA is presently reviewing State government Standards for these matters. There are 3 classes of risk and ambient levels which are an issue for consideration by EPA, WorkCover and the Department of Human Services.

 

ACTION. The EPA will make a presentation to the CICCCC regarding the matter of health effects in relation to control of air emissions from industry.

 

ACTION. Robin will write to WorkCover (Faye to draft the letter) requesting the same.

 

Redevelopment of Terminals Site at Coode Island.

Peter R said everything was on hold because of the State Election.

 

The MPC have indicted that the Terminals’ proposal is a reasonable use for the area, and will talk to Terminals about releasing the land after the election.

 

The EPA will respond to Terminals submission within the next couple of weeks. The plan was only a broad plan at this stage, as a means of seeking general approval before working out the detail.

 

ACTION. The plan and the response from the EPA to the Terminals plan, will be made available to the CICCC and then go to the HSE sub committee.

 

ITEM 9. REPORT OF THE HEALTH  SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENT SUB-COMMITTEE.

This sub committee did not meet in the past month.

 

Annual Assessment of Hazard Controls Table

See attachment 8.

The amendments to the table as suggested at the last meeting have been made. The number of ‘R’ in the column indicates the number of control requirements needed for each material handled. Terminals often take more requirements measures than are required by the licensing authorities.

An Environmental Rating Column has been added. This has been obtained from the National Accord of Science, Washington, USA. It is a hazardous rating for transporting materials over water.

ACTION. Peter R said that the table would be given to the EPA and WorkCover for assessment.

 

In discussion, Robin raised the following concern. The Committee had previously been advised that a PFPA Classification of zero meant the matter wasn’t an issue of any relevance. For instance, caustic soda has a zero rating for flammability, and there are no “R”s listed for it under flammability for either hardware or software. Yet Dioctyl Phtalate has a zero for health, and many “R”s are shown under health for both software and hardware. Why is this? Peter Reddie advised that more work was needed on the table.

 

ACTION  Peter Reddie to clarify this aspect as the table is further developed.

 

ITEM 10. REPORT OF THE EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT SUB-COMMITTEE.

See attachment 9.

There was a very well attended meeting held on the 6 September with good secretarial support given by George’s secretary.

 

ACTION. The lengthy minutes will be e-mailed by Marg to CICCC members. Vanessa to post copies to those who do not receive e-mails.

 

The Melbourne City Council are giving out fridge stickers and brochures covering issues of emergency management in the shire, and the Maribyrnong City Council will be doing the same shortly.

The Sub-Committee discussed how the services work together and identified the need to improve some links.

Regulatory Authorities will continue to meet with this group in future.

 

The Kensington Association is holding its community forum on the 6 October. Details are in the previous minutes.

ACTION. Those attending the above meeting on behalf of the CICCC will be Ian T and Faye.

 

ITEM 11. MONTHLY REPORT ON OPERATIONS AT COODE ISLAND (TERMINALS).

See Attachment 6.

 

  • High shipping but of a few items only.
  • It was a quiet month for drummage.
  • No Lost Time Injuries but there were two minor injuries. One- hot water incident was in

the Tallow loading and handling. Tallow represents 20%-30% of all materials handled    at Coode. The procedures in this area may need to be simplified for the handlers so that there  are fewer burns from hot water.

  • Training is still progressing for staff.
  • The sewerage line requiring an upgrade causes the e-coli problems.
  • The future directions report to the EPA for Vapour Emission Control includes the latest overseas information brought back by Carlo.
  • Improving the Benzene stack analysers. CICCC HSE sub committee check on these details at their meetings.
  • Changes to the use of McKenzie Road are to make it safer for traffic. A consultant has been engaged by P&O Ports. It is proposed that bulk liquid hazardous chemical transports (and trucks carrying drums to and from Terminals’ site) will be separated from container trucks, to provide better-managed and safer vehicle movements. The proposals by the consultants to P&O Ports include some temporary proposals, which have given rise to some concerns. The proposals will be studied by Terminals to ensure they are both safe and practicable.
  • 104 air samples were taken.
  • Terminals are trying to improve the efficiency of the absorption beds, because the emissions have been, on occasion, up to 5 to 10 times higher than the allowable limit. They are better managing the situation short term. The manufacturer is assisting Terminals to improve the beds. They have followed all recommendations, including the use of sensors. A new cooling tower is to be installed soon as a further improvement. Another system may be adopted for the new Coode, as they want to use the best available technology.

The EPA is monitoring the situation closely.

Peter B said that the disposal of organic wastes through cement kilns was of concern to the Australian Conservation Council.

Ian T said that the kilns incinerate the waste and any remaining unburnt matter stays in the cement product.

The EPA is also looking at this matter.

George said that Terminals follow the EPA’s directions re correct disposal of all their wastes. Peter R said these issues are dealt with in detail in the report which has recently gone to the EPA and which the CICCC will receive shortly when EPA have made comments.

Ted suggested that more beds were needed at the site to overcome the problem.

 

ACTION. CICCC to revisit the above issue re waste disposal in cement kilns in November.

 

ACTION. The EPA were requested to give the CICCC ongoing and systematic guidance on matters pertaining to waste disposal and alert the CICCC regarding any other matters when ever necessary.

 

  • Ian said that the vapour recover system had been responsible for the fire in 1991 and he asked what has been done to avoid the same problem in the future.

Peter R said that the tank was now designed so that there was no Oxygen in the tank and as fire cannot exist where Oxygen is not present, future fires of this nature will not occur.

George said that the future new plans for Coode included more monitoring and the replacement of ducting. These matters are addressed in the report to the EPA.

 

  • Faye asked about the trading of greenhouse emissions.

Carlo said that Terminals released very little in the way of greenhouse emissions. CO2 for making steam is the main greenhouse gas produced at Terminals Coode Island facility. There is a brochure available from Terminals on this matter.

Peter B said that the chemicals industry was responsible for only 2% of Green House Emissions in Australia, and Terminals’ contribution would be very small.

The EPA addresses these matters in the Works Approvals and Licensing Agreements with companies.

 

Peter B suggested that the data presented to the CICCC in the table, include the following

  1. The scale of the incident
  2. The pattern of incidents over time

 

ACTION. Peter Reddie to include a bar chart in future CICCC reports which will include

  1. the above information as requested
  2. the allowable License Levels for a particular material
  3. the EPA’s action program re monitoring of the matter at hand

 

Peter R said that P& O Ports would like all of Coode Island to be used for containers only.

 

EPA advised that the Works Approval application will be available for public comment and will be sent to the CICCC for comment.

 

 

ITEM 12. AGENDA FOR NEXT MEETING.

 

See the Action items in the minutes.

 

Marg suggested (as an item to consider for the future) that CICCC invite the chair of the CI Users Group to our meeting.

 

Ted suggested the CICCC find out more about the handling of goods at the P&O site so that the CICCCC have a better understanding of activities around the Terminals site.

ACTION. Robin will ask WorkCover to address the CICCC on this matter and cover the following points:

  1. Incident reports at P&O
  2. As an example, describe the paper trail and procedures for the importation of 20 tons of cyanide.

 

OTHER BUSINESS

Notice of a technical meeting on ‘The Cause of the Coode Island Fires’ on 28 October 1999 was given by Ian Thomas. See attachment 10.

 

ACTION. Faye has  copies of a paper that she recently presented titled ‘The Long Term Cognitive Effects of Chemicals Including Solvents – A Study of 400 Clinical Cases’ which she will send to Vanessa to include in the minutes. Faye will address this issue at the next meeting, and take questions.

 

 

Ian T has lost his large ariel photos of ‘before and after’ the Coode fire. If anyone knows where they are, could they be returned please.

 

CLOSE

 

10.50 p.m.

 

Next meeting 21 October. 6.30 p.m.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CICCC ATTACHMENTS TO MINUTES SEPTEMBER 1999  

 

Attachment 1             Brief summary of Peter Reddie’s recent conference presentation re the CICCC activities.

 

Attachment 2             Project proposal for the web site.(PR)

 

Attachment 3             Project proposal for the web site.(RS)           

 

Attachment 4             Recommended Buffer Distance for Terminals Coode Island.

 

Attachment 5             Notes from WorkCover presentation

 

Attachment 6             Terminals Monthly Operations & Occurrence Report.

 

Attachment 7             Risk Contour Maps – NOT AVAILABLE

 

Attachment 8             Annual Assessment of Hazard Controls Table

 

Attachment 9             Emergency Response Sub Committee meeting minutes, 6 September 1999

 

Attachment 10           Flier for meeting- ‘The cause of the Coode Island fires.’

 

Attachment 11           Faye Simpson (CICCC committee member) paper, ‘The Long Term Cognitive Effects of Chemicals Including Solvents – A Study of 400 Clinical Cases’

 

Attachment 12           CICCC Update article in the Maribyrnong City Council News        

 

** These attachments will be sent by post to those who have received e-mailed minutes.