Adopted Minutes

Thursday, 19th
May, 2005





Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Quentin Cooke:

Env. Protection
Authority / Ex Off Comm

Ian Thomas:

Community Rep./Committee

Margaret Donnan

Manager Regulatory
Affairs, PACIA

Deborah Macfarlane:

Community Rep./Committee

Theo Pykoulas

City of Maribyrnong

Faye Simpson

Community Member

Geoff Cooke


Michael Isaachsen:

Community Rep./Committee

Mark Dalrymple

MFB Manager Community
Safety Western Zone

Bro Sheffield Brotherton

Community Rep./Committee

Peter Egberts

ERM Australia Ltd

Carlo Fasolino

State Manager, Terminals
Pty Ltd

Mayada Dib

Community member

Peter LaRose

Operations Manager,
Terminals Pty Ltd


Sue Chatterton

Minute Taker






Robin         Welcomed Mayada Dib,
resident, who has an interest in the environment, and        Peter
Egberts, ERM Australia Ltd who will make a presentation on the       remediation
progress and welcome also to Bro who has not been able to be        present
at many meetings. Robin then asked Peter Egberts to make his   presentation
first to enable Peter to leave early. (Details in Item 5)












Robin:        Informed meeting application was withdrawn in favor
of a new site near the             railway
line. A newspaper article from “The Age” 15/5/05 was presented regarding port
plan to close off waterfront of which copies were distributed to   committee.



Quentin:     Noted it was a draft
plan which was going to have a long period of consultation prior to


Robin:        Asked
Theo if he knew about details of the article.


Theo:          Said
it was the first time he had seen the article and was not up to speed with
regard to information and details.


Ian:             Made
committee aware that access to the river on Footscray side could be gained via
crawling under the fence should anyone wish to make a protest.


Bro:             Need
to open up the issue of the land use of the port. Public locked out and very
limited access. What are this committees views regarding the use of this land
by the port.


Faye:          Port
therefore negating any form of transition for use of this land for preferably
parks and gardens. Solution then insistence on the use of buffer zones.


Robin:        The
State Government wants to secure access to the port therefore gaining more
control of the port and its facilities. People are being frozen out of the
port area.


Bro:             Therefore
excluding all multifunctional use.


Ian:             The
port is looking at it from a terrorism point of view. Regretful change in the
ambit which restricts us from talking about other issues than those relating to


Carlo:         Buffer
zones really have nothing to do with Terminals and suggested that as Michael
actually sits on the Port Committee would he be prepared to put CICCC ideas to


Quentin:     Asked if anyone had
verified the comments of the council in the article.


Theo:          Was
unable to comment as it was the first time he had seen the article.


Bro:             Was
it a matter of consideration to committee. Suggested a copy of the draft plan
be obtained, collect the information and have a look.


Geoff:         Asked
whether copies of the Draft Port Environs Plan were available as he did not
know of the plan.


Robin:        Stated
he had one copy which was discussed at two CICCC meetings earlier which is
referred to as the Draft Port Environs Plan which has been discussed along with
the 99 Moreland Street application.


terms of this item both Ian and Bro will obtain a copy and prepare a report on
the Plan and determine if there is any interest to the CICCC for the next


Ian:             Whether
the Port Plan is within the ambit of the CICCC.


Robin:        Suggested
we look at whether the Port Plan as a whole is an issue to be dealt with by
this committee.


Action:      Ian and
Bro to obtain copy and report back to the next meeting.






Australia Ltd – Project Director for Remediation of East Side


meeting of the status of the demolition of tanks and associated infrastructure
on the east side of Mackenzie Road. Spoke on the testing of the soil and the
removal of the contaminated soil to the SITA Lyndhurst site. An EPA accredited
auditor will oversee and approve all steps in the remediation process. A
qualified hygienist will be available to monitor odours, and woill stop site
work if odours threaten to spread beyond the site. Ensured committee that
backfill would be clean and that ERM intended to do better than baseline
criteria for backfill. P & O had requested a different type of backfill as
they would like to place containers on top of soil. ERM looking at maximum
particle size requirements.


used for removing the contaminated soil were registered carriers of prescribed
waste and licensed to do so. Each truck has to be EPA licensed and transport
certificates would be issued for each load.


topics covered in Peter’s presentation were as follows:-


Previous Investigations

Further Investigations


Remediation Targets

Works to be completed

Removal of contamination

Expected Outcome


mentioned that there had been over 400 boreholes (in a 10m by 10m grid) tested
for some 200 chemicals. A further 25 to 30 test pits will be dug and tested
when the existing infrastructure is moved. Chemicals associated with the oil
industry were found, including TPH, BTEX, PAH, pthalates and TCE. The
excavation of contaminated soil is generally to about 300mm below the water
table, which is 1½ to 3 metres below the surface.


Statement of Environmental Audit is expected by April 2006. Heavy metals won’t
be remediated.


Robin:        Thanked
Peter for his presentation.



by Geoff Cooke – Safety Case Officer for Terminals – Major Hazard


Geoff:         Visited
the Terminals site 7th March, 2005 and looked at the Safety Case,
Improvement Plan and the training undertaken.


concern was to monitor Terminals to make sure they are complying to the Safety
Case. An informal meeting was held on the 10th March, 2005
regarding the decommissioning of the East side. Looked at the hazards
associated with the decommissioning such as pipelines and making sure tanks
were fully gas free. Everything tracking okay so far with regular dialogue.


Robin:        How
has he viewed the demolition so far.


Geoff:         Has
yet to see the timeline/plan to get everything gas free. Making sure all
procedures are being adhered to.


Peter:         Every
part of Terminal is checked and gas free.


Robin:        Sensed
a certain amount of uncertainty on Geoff’s behalf.


Geoff:         Did
not wish to convey that message and apologized for misunderstanding.


Peter:         All
responsibility for site stops with himself.


Ian:             Assumed
everything on site (east) sits open at the moment.


Geoff:         If
at the next meeting Terminals presents timelines he will let committee know
where on timeline Worksafe has checked demolition progress.



by Carlo Fasolino


Carlo:         Non
hazardous tanks at Plant C now fully operational. All tanks upgraded and all
on new bases. Simms Street, South extension now complete and in use therefore
diverting traffic under the bridge.


Ian:             Due
to the Simms Street south extension additional amount of land is now available
for the public to enjoy.


Carlo:         Suggested
a site visit at the next meeting 4th August, 2005 at 4:30 pm then
back to the Maribyrnong Town Hall for the formal meeting. (Map and directions
on how to get to Terminals will be provided)


Environmental Report sent to EPA.

6 monthly Quality Audit – no issues therefore Terminals maintains ISO


Robin:        Requested
Annual Environment Report be presented at the next meeting.



by Mark Dalrymple, MFB Manager Community Safety Western Zone


Mark:          Not
much to report, would make a commitment to visit site to conduct site
familiarization of personnel.


Peter:         Asked
if MFB were going to be involved in the next Emergency Scenario. Felt all
agencies should be involved.


Carlo:         The
last scenario was very well organized where all agencies took part.


Ian:             Felt
cross pollination between agencies is ideal but not always obtainable.


Peter:         All
we can do at Terminals is to talk to the different agencies and try and get


Robin:        Everyone
tries hard but difficult to achieve.


Mark:          The
brigade has a corporate commitment to co-operate with other authorities and
must co-operate under due diligence and legislation.


Theo:          Has
been involved in several scenarios which have been very successful.


Peter:         If
a combined emergency exercise could be organized it would be most beneficial.


Ian:             Response
time to get to either end of the City Link tunnels in Melbourne is 7 minutes.


Theo:          Made
mention of the launch of the Evaluation Report of the Telephone Messaging System
trial by the Police & Emergency Services Minister at the council tomorrow
20th May, 2005. The project steering group will then meet and
evaluate responses and consider next steps.


Deborah:   After Tsunami in Hawaii an
automatic telephone messaging system was instituted.


Theo:          Council
would be advocating the use of this technology for emergency communication for
real situations. How the government implements the system is up to them. There
are other important considerations to be considered, such as raising community
awareness, and resolving issues such as the current need to keep accurate and
updated telephone numbers, which is limiting and confines the application of
this technology to fixed geographical areas.


Robin:        Asked
Theo if he could give a report on land use and public access.


Action:      Theo to
give report on land use and public access at the next meeting.



by Quentin Cooke


Quentin:     Carlo supplied
annual Environmental Improvement Report for 2004 and will be presented at the
next meeting. Asked that Peter LaRose give a short presentation next meeting
on report.


Action:      Peter to
give a short presentation next meeting on report


Robin:        Asked
also for copies for community members.


Quentin:     Said there was good
improvement at Coode Island. In relation to the butadiene proposal (at
Terminals Corio facility), the following points were noted:


site – A Works Approval was issued 17 May, 2005 with regard to the
building of a new tank with a certain number of conditions to that approval.


emission of 100kg of Butadiene per year. The EPA assessed as meeting the
maximum level achievable of Class 3 indicator.


Deborah:   The 20B conference details were
on the EPA website.


Robin:        Would
like some copies of report for the TGCCC meeting.


Faye:          100kg
being much smaller than the Altona manufacturing site’s 20,000kg, is that able
to be reduced further?


Carlo:         After
ship discharge wharf line will be full of vapor. This vapor is to be put
through combustor.


Ian:             Asked
if the tank was a sphere.


Robin:        Why
did EPA let Quenos emit at such a high level?


Quentin:     It was higher. Quentin then explained the comparison
regarding storing Butadiene and producing Butadiene.


Faye:          Is
there an overall absolute reduction?


Quentin:     There is an absolute


Ian:             Asked
about buffer zones around the site.


Quentin:     1,080 meters from
any sensitive use.


Carlo:         The
actual sphere is even further away.


Ian:             Corio
site is outside the ambit of this committee.


Carlo:         Gave
a brief overview of Butadiene proposal


Ian:             Was
told by a representative of Dow that 2 new Propylene Oxide tanks were
commissioned at Corio, but it was later discovered he meant Coode.


Quentin:     Considering a
document from Terminals relating to further storage on the West side.


Deb:           What
is the proposal?


Carlo:         Then
displayed proposed site plan. Two tanks will be required – semi
pressurized. Truck in and ship out. Still working on planning application and
will present next meeting.


Robin:        Carlo
to prepare a short paragraph to explain background and email to Robin.


Quentin:     EPA considering
whether a works approval is required.



ITEM 6:      2ND



by Carlo Fasolino – State Manager Victoria


Carlo commenced presentation and itemized the


Combustion System

Lower operating temperatures

Less excess air

Turn off combustors at night

Heat from combustor to generate electricity.


Robin:        3.1.14 Environment
Improvement Plan needs page numbers – Carlo to        arrange.


Carlo then continued presentation:


Emergency Lighting

Lighting survey



Faye:          Asked if
there was any application for solar lighting being located on the top of       the


Carlo:         Said there was a
possibility but something we haven’t looked into.


Carlo then continued presentation:


Ground Water Monitoring

Bore hole locations

Recovery trench locations

Recovery trench

Air sparging

Ground water protection measures


Robin:        Committee happy for
Terminals to go ahead and finalized the Environmental          Improvement
Plan No. 2 with EPA.








ITEM 8:      OTHER




Theo:          From
results of community consultation suggested a Newsletter every so many months
would be beneficial. Terminals should add a commitment in the EIP to do this.


Carlo:         Asked
Theo to email him a copy of suggested wording for EIP commitment and Terminals
will look into the issue.


Robin:        Handed
out copies of “WSN Environmental Solutions Quarterly Information on Waste
Management for Your Community” newsletter for consideration.



New committee member nomination


Deborah:   Introduced Mayada Dib who is a
solicitor and is very enthusiastic and thorough and suggested nomination as a
committee member.


Mayada:    Gave a brief introduction
of her background which involves science as well as law and would be honored to
be part of the committee.


Robin:        Would
welcome Mayada as a committee member and would be discussed at the next


Ian:             Made
mention of a paper he has been formulating based on Tunnel Safety which has
been approved and will be presented in Hobart.



Date for Committee Site Inspection


Site inspection set for 4.30 pm 4 August, 2005



Better integration of CICCC and MCG


Robin:        Over
a year ago at the request of this committee there was a paper presented to
Marstel to move towards amalgamation of the two groups. Does this committee
want to continue with this idea.


Theo:          Felt
we were interested in amalgamation.


Robin:        This
gives added impetus for us to approach Marstel Consultative Group again with
our previous “Committee Options Paper”.


Theo:          Advised
that Marstel meetings are quarterly.


Deborah:   Concerned as Marstel seemed more


Robin:        That
is up to both groups to work together.


Theo:          There
are common denominators and would benefit both parties.


Ian:             Clearly
an issue about how it should happen. Concept is sound about working together.


Action:      It was
agreed that Robin would wait several weeks for any further Committee input, and
then write to the Marstel Committee seeking comment on our previous Options



Report on new contaminated groundwater plume


Quentin:     Plume discovered at
site. Very old plume showing degrading characteristics. From the location of
plume conclusion could be drawn that it is not anything to do with Terminals
but possibly it emanates from the Pacific Terminals site. The likely outcome
would be that EPA going into discussion with Pacific Terminals and Melbourne
Ports. Main risk to environment is the contamination of the Maribyrnong River.


Robin:        To
include in Media Release – will okay the content with EPA prior to issue.
Report that plume now nothing to do with Terminals.


Quentin:     Plume sits in pipe


Faye:          If
there was a disturbance of the soil what affect would it have on the river?


Quentin:     Signs indicate it
has been there for the past 15 years.


Carlo:         Below
ground water level there is evidence of slow movement.


Quentin:     EPA to make
assessment of risk involved.


Robin:        Quentin
to update committee on matter. Then thanked Quentin.


Ian:             An
initiative is needed within EPA to reduce disposal of drums which contain
residue. Deal with in other ways than to dump in the ground.


presented a copy of a video on Safe Syringe Disposal which he found
particularly interesting and urged other committee members to watch.


Improvement Action Report


Carlo:         Asked
Quentin if Terminals could now close off. Would like to have all items that have
been approved deleted and new items added.


Quentin:     Agreed


ACTION:   Carlo to amalgamate
outstanding items from initial Improvement Action Report into a new Improvement
Action Report containing all the items from the Second EIP, and email to Robin
for posting to the web site.




NEXT MEETING:     6:30 pm THURSDAY 4th
August, 2005. A site visit at 4.30pm followed by meeting at Maribyrnong Town
Hall at 6.30 pm.