COODE
ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE
COMMITTEE

 

Adopted
Minutes

Thursday,
19 August, 2010

 

PRESENT

Robin Saunders:
Chairperson

Peter La Rose
Operations Manager,
Terminals Pty Ltd

Susan Chatterton
Minute Taker

Col Brighton
Maintenance &
Operations Superintendant

Ian Thomas
Community
Rep./Committee

Theo Pykoulas
City of Maribyrnong

Deborah Macfarlane
Community
Rep./Committee

Kerry Murphy
EPA

Faye Simpson
Community
Rep./Committee

 

 

ITEM 1. WELCOME BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT AGENDA

Robin Welcome to everyone

                    Apologies:
Carlo Fasolino, George Horman, Bro Sheffield Brotherton

                    Confirmation
of draft agenda – adopted

ITEM 2. CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT MINUTES FOR
THE MEETING 13 MAY 2010 and REVIEW ACTION LIST

 

Draft
Minutes – Adopted

Action Items

3/10

EPA to advise whether EPA has any concerns
if Terminals P/L wishes to provide its Annual Report on the Coode Island
facility to the CICCC at the same time it provides it to EPA.

Kerry

EPA has
no objections but people need to understand that EPA will in future require
an Annual Performance Statement in place of an Annual Report. I will email
an example of the Performance Statement to Robin for distribution.

 

 

3/10-3

Terminals to circulate 2009 Annual Report
one month before May 7 meeting, and Robin to list on agenda the report for
presentation and discussion.

Robin

We have
copies of the 2009 Annual Community Report and EPA Report (1 copy only).
Will defer discussion until Item 4 on the Agenda.

5/10-1

Carlo
to bring both forms of 2009 Annual Report to the August meeting. Done

5/10-2

Robin to ring Kerry Murphy about future
arrangements for EPA representation at CICCC meetings.

Kerry

I do
think you are better with Mark being in attendance at this committee meeting
as he is Terminals’ Client Manager. Mark will continue from the December
meeting. If you want Quentin to come to the meeting then it is part of
Mark’s job to bring you the right technical specialist and to keep you
informed.

Ian

Thank
you Kerry for your involvement so far.

Robin

Kerry
has done a great job at both committee meetings. We will be looking forward
to Mark continuing on in the same way. The community representatives thank
Kerry for her valuable contribution in the past.

Kerry

There
is a lot going on within the EPA at the moment. There will be 12
consultation sessions across the state in September and I will let Robin know
so you can attend as your input into that would be great. Community
Reference Group’s are the sounding board to the EPA. John Merritt is calling
for nominations in early September. Another interesting item coming up is
Terminals accreditation at Geelong. John is concerned about the lack of
community support at that site. Your advice as a CLC holder would be of
assistance to John.

 

 

ITEM 3.       REPORTS
FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS

 

 

 

TERMINALS

Peter

  • Road works on Mackenzie
    Road finally complete

 

  • Exxon conducted annual
    audit

 

  • Melbourne operator retired
    after 27 years.

 

Incidents

M/10/12

Whilst
unloading ship the dock line became blocked.

Faye

As a
result of the language difficulty between shore and ship is there a
possibility of the check list being written in other languages.

Peter

We have
no authority on the ship. We sign off check list with the Captain of the
ship who can speak English but we have no other authority on the ship.

Robin

Seems
to me whoever is responsible for the ship that duty should fall onto them.
Is it the Port of Melbourne Authority? Why doesn’t this committee write to
the PoMC. Suggest that material be provided in different languages. The
task of putting check list should not be a big deal in this day and age.

Peter

We have
had many discussions with the PoMC about this.

Robin

The PoMC
should be able to take punitive action should the ship not pass on
information.

Ian

Something
of this seriousness we should do something about it. In my experience the
issue is the jurisdiction on board is completely separate and a bureaucratic
nightmare. PoMC do have the power to require action. In the first instance
it should be a letter to the PoMC.

Peter

A few
years earlier we had an odour problem. The EPA had no authority over the
ship and could not take action until the odour was proved to go across the
land.

Faye

If the
groups could get together and provide translators it adds to the safety of
the port.

Deborah

It
would be interesting to know how other ports deal with this such as Hong
Kong.

Peter

We are
only a very small part of the port. The letter to the Melbourne Port
Corporation would be a good start.

ACTION

Robin to draft letter to PoMC

Col

After
this incident we told PoMC that we were raising an incident report so Robin
if you could mention that in your letter. (Incident report No. M/10/12 dated
28/06/10).

Ian

There
is also the issue of gaining access to Emergency Information at the Terminals
site.

Peter

The
information is inside the site where it is accessible for the emergency
services such as Fire Brigade, Worksafe, etc.

 

ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

Kerry

The
main thing is the licence reform program. Progressively working through the
licences. The new reformed licence is going to look different (handed out a
generic licence). EPA need to write another condition that deals with their
specific site. Terminals will look at their licence; they will be given a 21
day timeframe to do so.

The EPA
is going to run a workshop with regard to the licence. Need to know whether
this committee would like to take part in a workshop or just be given the
information?

Ian

Is the
EPA running a workshop with everyone affected?

Kerry

No just
the committee members interested. We don’t have to do it as a workshop.

Robin

The
TGCCC are having a workshop prior to the committee meeting. You have
suggested Thursday 7/10/10 is there any objections at the same time?

Deborah

Would
Tuesday 12/10/10 be okay?

Robin

Yes
12/10/10 @ 6:30pm at the same City of Maribyrnong conference room. The
workshop will look at the new licence conditions.

Theo

I will
confirm that the conference room is available for that time.

Robin

Kerry will
you circulate information prior to the workshop.

ACTION

Kerry to provide a copy of the proposed
licence and what has been changed prior to the special meeting on 12/10/2010.

Kerry

Terminals
will have been given a copy of their final licence. At the workshop there
will be people from the Licence Reform Group. I will make sure you have the
right level of expertise.

Ian

Under
the dangerous goods the CFA require more detailed drawings. The EPA would
need storm water drains, sewerage discharge point etc. The sort of detail
that is done for the CFA would need to be mirrored for the EPA.

Kerry

Enforcement
of the licence, seeking developing up compliance and enforcement will send
information.

Robin

Compliance
review timing?

Kerry

Within
the next week.

Robin

I will
be away 10/9 to 6/10 so if you could please send information through to Sue
Chatterton.

Kerry

There
is a white paper which will be turned into an Act on 31/8/10.

Deborah

The
white paper you referred to is that on your website?

Kerry

Yes

 

MARIBYRNONG COUNCIL

Theo

  • No planning issues
    presented to the council.

 

  • Former CEO has taken a
    position with the Wyndham council

 

  • Every 2 years updating the
    “When Industry is Your Neighbour community awareness campaign”. This
    contains general information and a few phone numbers. It is a colour
    brochure and a fridge magnet.

Faye

With
regard to the poster would you contemplate not changing the colours? One of
the things I get used to is the colour of different information on your fridge
and you know immediately where to look when its needed. Also good for
children to identify if you keep the same colour.

Theo

I will
take note of that.

Robin

Thank
you Theo

 

ITEM 4. 2009 Annual Report: Carlo to bring
both the Report to the EPA and the Community Report to the meeting for
discussion and decision

 

Robin

We have
just heard from Kerry that this annual report will be replaced with the
Annual Performance Statement.

Kerry

The EPA
will be publishing the annual performance statement on the website. It is
not going to give you much detail. Terminals would have a monitoring program
in place and the EPA would perform compliance tests.

Faye

How
would the CICCC get information about the compliance reports? We need to be
alerted to items where we have non compliance.

Peter

You
would be aware of non compliance prior to receiving report as we raise
incident reports and report those at the meetings.

Kerry

Non
compliance would be put into the EPA report.

Robin

What I
suggest is we request Terminals to continue doing the Annual Community Report,
and request a copy of the EPA Annual Report for the CICCC web site.

ACTION

Carlo to provide an electronic copy of
Annual Environment Performance Report 2010 to be given to Robin to put on
website.

 

 

ITEM 5.       Email
from the State Library seeking to put the CICCC website material on their
permanent on-line collection

 

Robin

Bro was
all for this. Michael found another posting on the web that criticized the
operation of the State Library system (called Pandora). After investigation
and further discussion with the State Library, it is clear that the Pandora
website provides a direct hot-link to the copied web site (in our case the current
CICCC website). CICCC would like to know if Terminals has any objection to
agreeing to the State Library request.

Peter

George
is the only one that can give the go ahead

Ian

A great
initiative

Robin

The
CICCC is recognised by the Library as being of such significance as to warrant
being put on their website. If the committee is happy and George is okay
with it then I will advise the State Library that they can copy the CICCC web
site onto their Pandora website.

 

 

ITEM 6.       LETTER
FROM PoMC on OPERATION ISLAND

 

 

Robin

This
goes back to December 2009 where I wrote to PoMC regarding the failure of
PoMC to attend the meeting. I sought advise from Michael and Deborah.

Deborah

You
could not see anything from where we were allowed to stand.

Robin

The
situation is that our letter has now been flannelled. Does the committee
want to leave the issue or continue?

Deborah

George
was happy for us to go and met us on the day and tried to get us closer to
the action.

Peter

It was
out of Terminals control but PoMC would not allow committee members to go to
the debriefing. The debriefing was held at PoMC offices. Everyone was there
but we could not get committee members in to the meeting.

Faye

Does
the PoMC come under a minister?

Deborah

I do
not think we can afford to let it go. George was actually told why. They
had an exercise earlier and there was a community person in attendance that
caused trouble.

Robin

I
believe we should aim to engage the PoMC in a dialogue on this matter, and
the language problems with tankers. I suggest we ask the CEO of PoMC to
attend our next meeting, to try and engage them and work together.

Deborah

Propose
that Robin write to the CEO of PoMC inviting him to attend our next meeting.

ACTION

Robin to write to the CEO of PoMC inviting
him to attend our next meeting.

ITEM 7.       OTHER
BUSINESS

 

 

Robin

Proposed
dates for 2011 – Agreed

Ian

2
things

  1. Sustainability and living
    safely with chemicals. Now a society known as the LCA Society.
  2. City of Melbourne
    currently has 1,200 building initiative. Intend to have 1,200 buildings
    within the city of Melbourne to reach 4 ½ star energy efficiency.
    NABERS system. (National Australian Buildings Rating System. At the
    moment there are 4 buildings that comply. Current it is voluntary but
    will not remain so.

Ian

I chose
to raise the issue of RADON presence. This is a naturally occurring gas that
is not dangerous unless present in a high quantity.

MEETING CLOSED :
9:00PM.

Next Meeting Special meeting with EPA at 6:30 pm on Tuesday 12
October 2010

Following meeting Normal CICCC meeting on Thursday 2 December 2010

Dates for 2011 meetings 17 March, 16 June, 8 September, 8 December 2011