COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

Wednesday, 18 July, 2013

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin
Saunders
:

CICCC /
Chairperson

Deborah
McFarlane

Community
Rep./Committee

Ian Thomas:

Community
Rep./Committee

 

Faye Simpson

Community
Rep./Committee

Carlo
Fasolino

State Manager
Victoria, Terminals Pty Ltd

Michael
Isaachsen
:

Community
Rep./Committee

Gary
O’Sullivan

Operations
Manager – West Melbourne

Bro
Sheffield-Brotherton
Combined Enviro.
Groups / Committee

Susan
Chatterton

Minute Taker

 

 

 ITEM 1.      WELCOME BY
THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT           AGENDA

 

Robin

Apologies – Theo (City of Maribyrnong), Marg Renwick (EPA)

 

Draft Agenda – confirmed

 

ITEM 2.       CONFIRM
DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING 11 APRIL 2013 REVIEW        ACTION
ITEM LIST

 

Draft Minutes of the 11 April, 2013 adopted.

 

Outstanding Action Items

 

04/2013/1

Carmel to advise whether attachments are included in the licences
available on the EPA Web site
.

Robin

After the last meeting we were informed the EPA has a special
portal coming on line early April or June.

 

I registered for the portal, established a password for the
portal. and then logged on. This process took several days, as the EPA “call
centre” was not familiar with getting access to the portal. I found the
information allowed to be accessed either with or without password is the
same. I noted that the architecture of the EPA website almost defied attempts
to find material. There did not appear to be any significant material on
Terminals Pty Ltd.

Deborah

I heard the government departments had 40% cuts in staffing across
all sectors.

Carlo

Nothing has changed.  Quentin is doing Works Approvals. 
There is nobody at the EPA that Terminals can talk to directly now.

ACTION

Robin to contact Marg Renwick, to invite her to the next meeting,
and to seek clarification on the present status of the portal, and which Terminals
documents on the EPA data base that are available through the portal.

04/2013/2

Marg and Carmel to email the Activity Report and EPA Approval
Reform overheads to Robin

 

Done

04/2013/4

Paul to send the report on the tank cracks to Robin

 

Done

04/2013/5

All members to consider subscribing to EPA quarterly newsletter

 

Done

 

 

ITEM 3.       REPORTS
FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS

 

TERMINALS REPORT

 

Carlo

Discussed incidents with severity 2 rating.

 

Two manual handling issues

 

One leak under pump

Carlo

EPA did a desk top of performance report.

 

1.               
Environmental impacts on everything we do

2.               
Tighten up on monitoring.

ACTION

Carlo to provide a report on the EPA audit, at least one week
before the October meeting, to the Chair for circulation.

Carlo

Discussed the Caltex upgrade of fuel terminal in 3 stages that was
mentioned at a session conducted by the EPA that he attended.  Works
Approval on website. An increase in fuel storage of 60,000 cubic metres is
sought.

Ian

EPA has recommended buffer distances and has changed the distance
from storage of flammable substances.  Fixed roof tanks as specified
buffer of 300 meters for many years, now EPA documents stated 250 meters.

Carlo

We always work on 1 kilometer.  I will have a look might to
to Terminals advantage.

 

ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

 

The July 2013 Activity Report was emailed to
committee members.

 

CITY OF MARYIBYRNONG

 

Not in attendance.

                   

 

ITEM 4.       PRINCIPLES
ON WHICH TERMINALS ENVIRONMENT POLICY IS         FOUNDED:
DISCUSSION OF THE DRAFT CHANGES SUGGESTED BY       ROBIN.

 

Robin

On 2 May 2013 I circulated documents from the April Meeting,
including some thoughts of mine about Terminals’ list of principles on which
its environmental policy is founded (see EIP section 4.1). They are

 

·         
Being a good neighbour to its surrounding industries and
wider community, by being open with information (consistent with privacy
requirements of clients), and supportive of community development.

·        
Behaving ethically in its dealings with clients,
suppliers, regulators and the wider community.

·         
Recognising the importance of sustainable development,
and incorporating this goal into its decision making.

 

I mentioned in my email that it seemed to me that Terminals was
already showing some support for these principles, so I don’t think it is a
big step for them to adopt them. I would like the committee to endorse these
3 new points.

 

Supported by Ian and Deborah.

Michael

Asked Robin to elaborate on 3rd point.

Robin

Discussed using solar panels as an example.

Bro

I find the 3rd point vague.

Michael

If Terminals adopt they would know the community would appreciate
their efforts.

Ian

If anyone should urge the company to do anything like this it is this
group.  I have heard no objections from the company.

Deborah

I think it is good to have something to consider.

Bro

Happy for this to go ahead. 

 

The community
members agreed with the initiative.

ACTION

Robin to write to George requesting that the additional three
principles be adopted by Terminals as policy.

 

ITEM 5.       POSSIBLE
CHANGE OF MEETING IN NOVEMBER TO WEDNESDAY 23            OCTOBER
ON SITE, AND A GENERAL REVIEW OF CICCC MEETING       TIMES
AND LOCATIONS.

 

Robin

Change of meeting dates to 23rd or 30th October
on site instead of 6 November (still at @ 3pm).

 

Members requested that a schedule of possible dates be circulated,
allowing them to specify their preferences.

ACTION

Robin to send out a table of availability and all to return via
email to him to determine the meeting date.  (Time of day/Day of Week)

Include a table for 2014 meeting dates, times and locations.

 

ITEM 6.       OTHER
BUSINESS

 

Ian

I have been conducting some research work at RMIT, have got a
paper accepted “Alternative Sustainable Fuel”

 

 

NEXT SCHEDULED MEETINGS: 

 

The meeting date in October 2013 will be advised following the
survey detailed in the Action Item above.

 

 

MEETING CLOSED 7:30pm