COODE ISLAND
COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE
COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

Thursday, 16th
February, 2006

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin
Saunders
:

CICCC /
Chairperson

Quentin Cooke:

Env.
Protection Authority / Ex Off Comm

Ian Thomas:

Community
Rep./Committee

Theo Pykoulas

City of
Maribyrnong

Deborah
Macfarlane
:

Community
Rep./Committee

 

Faye Simpson

Community
Member

 

Michael
Isaachsen
:

Community
Rep./Committee

 

Carlo
Fasolino

State Manager
Victoria, Terminals Pty Ltd

 

George Horman

Managing
Director, Terminals Pty Ltd

 

Sue
Chatterton

Minute Taker

 

 

 

 

 

ITEM 1.     WELCOME
BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT   AGENDA

 

Robin         Welcomed
all in attendance.

                    Apologies
Peter La Rose

                    Confirmation
of draft agenda – adopted

 

 

ITEM 2.      CONFIRMATION
OF DRAFT MINUTES MEETING 8TH DECEMBER, 2005

 

Robin:        Draft minutes of 8th December, 2005 confirmed.

 

 

ITEM 4:      REPORTS
FROM AGENCIES

 

 

TERMINALS PTY LTD

Presented by Carlo Fasolino

 

Carlo:         Then
presented Terminals Pty Ltd report.

 

George:     Gave
details of events that have occurred over the Christmas/New Year period.

 

§      
Demolition and remediation now completed, land
handed over to Port of Melbourne Corporation.

 

§      
Environmental audit is still to be lodged, have
until 3rd June, 2006 to do so.

 

§      
Pygas tanks are now ready, expected first shipment
March 2006.

 

§      
Customer audits have been carried out.

 

§      
Thank you to Robin regarding letter written on
behalf of CICCC to the Port of Melbourne Corporation expressing concern over
lessening width of the road. Together with concerns raised by other tenants,
the letter seems to have slowed Port of Melbourne Corporation down as they have
now agreed to conduct a further risk assessment of their proposal.

 

§      
P & O now happy about the reduction in land
space. Would like all land to the river bank if they had their way.

 

§      
The incident in the report presented by Carlo
regarding the combustor, was caused by a glitch in software and the truck
loading was halted until the problem was rectified.

 

Faye:          Questioned
George as to Terminals maintenance schedules and whether    consideration
of a computerized maintenance program would be more reliable.

 

George:     Have
looked at computerized systems in the past and have opted to continue with
maintenance planners on the wall as they have been reliable but the prospect of
computerized systems that would also provide information regarding where funds
are being spent would be beneficial. Computer literacy of personnel would need
to be improved.

 

Ian:             Is
the routine maintenance carried out by internal resources or external?

 

George:     Terminals
use external contractors to conduct any maintenance. Using own operators would
be difficult as they are busy enough loading trucks and unloading ships without
maintenance duties as well. Most routine maintenance conducted by contractors.

 

Ian:             Attended
a meeting of the Maintenance Engineering Society which he is a member. At the
meeting a demonstration of a computerized management system was given –
CCMS. Should George wish to attend the next meeting is 15th March,
2006.

 

George:     The
maintenance manual is due for a major update which will coincide with the MHF
licence renewal. Some alterations and rewording are required.

 

                    ACTION
ITEM: Terminals to review and update the maintenance manual. This action to be
included in the Improvement Action Report (IAR).

 



 

Carlo:         Discussed
an incident where a road tanker came onto the site with some remaining product
still in a compartment from previous delivery. The tanker would have been
overfilled if not for the overfill protection system working and therefore
alleviating a spill and an environmental incident.

 

Deborah:   Is there not a
danger of cross contamination causing an unpleasant outcome?

 

George:     Customer
has products stored at site that would not cause a violent reaction if they are
cross contaminated. Explained the customer and carrier are responsible for
switch load compatibility. A cleanliness certificate is shown by the road
tanker driver if product not compatible.

 

                    Static
in the product is the main potential cause of ignition of product vapours, and
to minimize any risk initial filling flow rates are carefully controlled.

 

Ian:             Would
like to view switch loading list that is also provided for shipping purposes.

 

George:     When
we are preparing a tank the customer wants to know what was in the tank prior
to storing their product.

 

Carlo:         Incident
where drain hose on pig trap split while pigging line. Initial investigation
proved the interceptor caused problem. The hose at the exchange pit was
replaced.

 

                    ACTION
ITEM: Investigation to be reported to the committee

 

 

                    ENVIRONMENT
PROTECTION AUTHORITY

                    Presented
by Quentin Cooke

 

Quentin:     Record
prosecution achieved by EPA due to pollution on Phillip Island from a ship.
Taken a year to get prosecution to completion, wildlife affected, residue washed
up on beach.

 

                    ACTION
ITEM: Media release to be provided by Quentin.

 

Faye:          If
ship was poorly maintained can that ship be prevented from entering our waters
again?

 

Quentin:     A.M.S.A.
is responsible for ships being suitable for the purpose for which they are
being utilized.

 

                    Issues
common as ships leaving Australian waters are only required to go out a certain
distance before they are allowed to deposit water washings into the ocean.

 

Carlo:         A.M.S.A.
have regulations for disposing of washings.

 

Theo:          Alternative
Penalty Scheme
initiated by EPA benefits the
community that was affected by the incident.

 

Quentin:     Visited
the Melbourne site, witnessed improvements and was impressed with Plant C.

 

                    First
clay impermeable liner to be installed at Plant C similar to standards set by
Marstels

 

                    Looked at the Pygas facilities, truck fill, etc

 

Carlo:         Clay
liner was put in about 6 months ago. Clay liners are to be put in all bunds
before the end of the year.

 

George:     Geotextile
clay liners are clay sandwiched between Hessian. They are placed 200 ml under
the ground so that the clay is kept damp. Not sure how long it lasts. Depends
on whether the clay is kept damp.

                   

Carlo:         Gravel
and sand will be used to form a cover over the clay liner.

 

Quentin:     Practical
tests are being conducted on reducing combustor temperature.

 

Carlo:         Combustors
are presently running too hot therefore using too much gas. Carlo then
explained the workings of the combustor and the extent of the trials being
conducted. Combustor presently running at 890oC destroying
practically 100% of the emissions. A reduced temperature at 750oC
did not reduce the effectiveness of the combustor, therefore a further trial at
650oC is to be conducted. Savings to natural gas usage is
anticipated which in turn will result in reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.

 

George:     Not
going to do anything that allows odours to leave site.

 

Michael:     How
does the EPA quantify expending so much energy in natural gas to destroy the
maximum possible emissions?

 

Quentin:     The
test of practicability includes the trade off between natural gas usage and
emissions.

 

                    Next
week there will be a meeting of the Lower Maribyrnong Reference Group on the 23rd
February, 2006, where Michael is a community representative.

 

Robin:        Could
Michael report back to the committee?

 

                    ACTION
ITEM: Michael to report back to the CICCC on the
Lower Maribyrnong Reference Group meeting at the April CICCC
meeting.

 

Robin         Stake
Holder Group meeting on the 22nd February, 2006. CICCC invited to
the Stake Holding Group meeting. Ian and Deborah will represent the CICCC.

 

Quentin:     East
side at Terminals now gone. On going process, EPA to receive audit “CUTEP” (Clean
Up To The Extent Practicable) endorsing that clean up has been achieved.

 

George:     25,500
cubic metres of soil removed. George explained how the contamination was
determined. $9.5 million to remediate. All reports are just about finished
hopefully CUTEP application late March 2006.

 

Quentin:     Plan
for remediating site under Pacific Terminals. Hot spot of contamination is on
the edge of property facing the river.

 

                    Amending
the licence for Terminals in light of different products stored within the next
month or so.

 

City of Maribyrnong

                   

Theo:          No
development to report.

 

Work Safe

 

                    Deferred
till next meeting – not in attendance

 

 

ITEM 4:      ACTION
ITEMS FROM DECEMBER MEETING

 

2nd EIP –
COMMUNICATION WITH THE COMMUNITY

 

Carlo:         Presented
a discussion paper with ideas and comments.

 

Deborah:   Level of
community interest is low.

 

George:     The
issue he feels is that Terminals want newsletter to be affective.

 

Michael:     Undertook
a Marstel letter drop and in the process asked a few people if they were
interested and if they actually read the pamphlet and only a few were
interested.

 

George:     Do
not want to raise anxiety levels within the community. Discussion on content
important.

 

Deborah:   Spoke to
Kensington Association about having the CICCC minutes sent to their members.
There was not enough interest in Coode Island for Deborah’s suggestion to be
adopted.

 

George:     Offer
to send them a newsletter.

 

Deborah:   About 1,000
members so an easy way of distributing.

 

George:     Newsletter
more agreeable than minutes. Need to go away and read and critique and come
back next meeting and get down to business and get it out.

 

Robin:        Need
to obtain some professional help in editing the text of the newsletter, while
being careful that the tone and content of the message is not changed.

 

Ian:             The
discussion paper to be sent out via email to others on committee.

 

                    ACTION
ITEM: George to circulate the draft by email.

 



 

Science Award

 

Carlo:         Presented
discussion paper.

 

George:     Again
have a look at discussion paper and make comments next meeting.

 

                    ACTION
ITEM: Take away and comment on the Science Award framework at next meeting.

 

 

BETTER INTEGRATION OF CICCC
AND MCG

 

Theo:         

  • Agree to committees staying as
    they are.
  • Industry forum with common
    issues
  • Issue driven hopefully 2006 for
    the first meeting.

 

Ian:             Excellent
outcome. We should thank Theo for chairing meeting.

 

Theo:          Initially
bi-annual meeting with possible extra meeting to discuss planning,
contamination of the Maribyrnong, etc. The EPA report on the contamination
would be interesting to raise at the meeting.

 

                    Truck
groups and traffic management to be represented.

 

Ian:             Felt
the chair should be a senior member of council.

 

Deborah:   Is it possible for
Council to get some sort of grant to fund the forums?

 

George:     Who
has the issues. CICCC to come up with a list of issues we would like raised at
the meeting.

 

 

George:     What
about the other users what are they required to do regarding Safety and
Environmental Standards. Ports fire systems on berth have been upgraded, we do
not know to what standards they operate to.

 

Deborah:   Need to ask why
other hazardous sites are not regulated like Terminals and Marstels.

 

George:     Terminals
and Marstel feel they are being singled out with regards to regulations.. Port
of Melbourne Corporation vehicle by which Terminals are under the microscope
from EPA with high environmental standards

 

Quentin:     Comes
down to equal risk factors – environmental, safety. Expectations are of
the same criteria as Terminals or Marsel. Some sites store non hazardous. Not
every industry in the state are on the schedule so therefore do not come under
EPA scrutiny.



 

Robin:        Compiled
a list:

 

·      Port of Melbourne Corporation port planning

·      Port of Melbourne Corporation Security

·      Water front usage

·      Land transport

·      Safety and Environmental standards – shipping

·      Reintegration of the Channels and Port Authority

·      Emergency communication with residents using the telephone system

·      Communication from POMCorporation

·      Applying Safety and Environmental standards to all tenants at Coode
Island

 

Ian:             Did
Theo get a list from Marstels meeting?

 

Theo:          Did
not get a list but will ask Cheryl.

 

Robin:        Vote
of thanks to Theo for chairing the meeting.

 

 

WORK SAFE – PRESENTATION
BY GEOFF COOKE ON ANNUAL INSPECTION

 

                    Deferred
until next meeting.

 

 

REVIEW OF 2ND IAR
AND EPA & WORKSAFE SIGN OFF

 

Robin:        Longed
for item of informing the community to be included in the Improvement Action
Report.

 

                    ACTION
ITEM: Carlo to add item to IAR, complete regulators sign-off, and send
completed up-date to Robin for posting to web site.

 

 

 

LETTER TO PORT OF MELBOURNE CORPORATION RE
MACKENZIE ROAD PROPOSED NARROWING.

 

Robin/George:         Letter
to Port of Melbourne Corporation and their response dated 12 January 2006 which,
along with other tenants’ comments, has motivated the POMC to conduct a
workshop and hire a consultant to do a risk assessment.



 

 

ITEM 5:      EMERGENCY
COMMUNICATION (REPORT FROM THEO)

 

Robin:        Have the council
got the funds to implement the full automatic telephone system for emergency
communication with residents?

 

Theo:          Awaiting
the evaluation report and will keep CICCC updated.

 

                    Encouraged
everyone to write letter and try and maintain momentum.

 

                    ACTION
ITEM: Robin to send a letter after the issue of the   trial evaluation
report and ask when funds are to be committed to implement the complete system.

 

 

ITEM 6:      OTHER
BUSINESS

 

                    No
other business.

 

NEXT SCHEDULED MEETING:   13TH
APRIL, 2006

Meeting dates for 2006 – 15th
June, 10 August, 12 October, 14th December 2006.

 

t

MEETING CLOSED: 9:40 pm