COODE ISLAND
COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE
COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

Thursday, 15th
June, 2006

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin
Saunders
:

CICCC /
Chairperson

Quentin Cooke:

Env.
Protection Authority / Ex Off Comm

Ian Thomas:

Community
Rep./Committee

Peter La Rose

Operations
Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Deborah
Macfarlane
:

Community
Rep./Committee

George Horman

Managing
Director, Terminals Pty Ltd

Michael
Isaachsen
:

Community
Rep./Committee

Sue
Chatterton

Minute Taker

Bro Sheffield
Brotherton

Community
Rep./Committee

 

 

 

ITEM 1.     WELCOME
BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT   AGENDA

 

Robin         Welcomed
all in attendance.

                    Apologies
Theo Pykoulas, Margaret Donnan, Carlo Fasolino, Geoff Cooke

                    Confirmation
of draft agenda – adopted

 

 

ITEM 2.      CONFIRMATION
OF DRAFT MINUTES MEETING 13th April, 2006

 

Robin:        Draft minutes of 13 April, 2006 confirmed.

 

 

ITEM 3:      REPORTS
FROM AGENCIES

 

ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

Presented by Quentin Cooke

 

Quentin:     Reported that he had visited
Terminals site during the week. Inspected a few items as Plant C nearing final
stage. Tanks painted which made for a much more pleasing aspect than Plant B.
Comments were recorded on Improvement Action Plan.

 

                    Explained
that EPA involvement with the Corio site had begun with regards to the proposed
Bitumen and Bio Diesel projects. This involvement may require him to attend
the Geelong Community meeting.

 



 

TERMINALS PTY LTD

Presented by George Horman & Peter
La Rose

 

 

George:     Terminals wish to install a new
weighbridge capable of handling B-Doubles, as a service to customers. Trucks
currently weigh at the fruit market and when multi loading, additional trips
are necessary. The preferred site is in the median strip in the centre of
MacKenzie Road, but the Port of Melbourne Corporation presently oppose this
location. The PoMC wish to preserve the option of narrowing MacKenzie Road, to
allow for the expansion of container storage for P&O Ports.

 

Peter:         Weighbridge
could be put on Terminals land at Plant C, an option that will be          put
to Melbourne Port Corporation.

 

George:     Sale of company finalized March.
New owners have approved the continuing upgrading of the plant, which had been halted.
The $1.8 million upgrade program is now proceeding.

 

                    George
then referred to Quentin mentioning the Geelong Bitumen proposal. Agreement
has been reached with the client, Sourcing Solutions, to provide 14,000 cubic
metres of storage for bitumen import. The proposal is presently at the
approval stage. Currently Terminals are testing Bitumen with regard to EPA and
community concerns about odours. Terminals are working with EPA on that
matter. The storage temperature of Bitumen is quite high, 150 degrees to 190
degrees. The bitumen comes off the ship at 160 degrees, is stored at 100
degrees, and is heated to 180 degrees to load it into road tankers. Safety
problem is the heat and tendency of the bitumen to clog up things.

 

Michael:     Asked
George if Terminals intended to store Bitumen at Coode?

 

George:     Not
in the near future.

 

Ian:             Asked
George if Terminals would have a vapour recovery system to control             odours
on Bitumen.

 

George:     Odour
control is currently in the planning stage and indications are that odours       will
be sent to the combustor.

                    The
butadiene sphere being installed at the Geelong facility is now in its final position
and will have a combustion system attached to control emissions.

 

Faye:          Asked if
a breakdown of fugitive emissions from bitumen had been carried out.

 

George:     Samples have been analysed.

 

                    Action:
Next meeting Terminals will provide a presentation on emission analysis
results.

 

George:     The Axiom Energy Bio Diesel proposal
at Geelong is in its early days. Expressed the opinion that the bio diesel
fuel is only prolonging the agony of the fuel situation rather than solving
problem.

 

Bro:             Shared
his observations. Whilst on a trip to Malaysia during his flight over the
country noticed large amounts of clearing and most of “forested” area is
already established Palm Oil trees.

 

Deborah:   Asked if George knew where the Styrene leak was
on the weekend. It was reported in the newspapers that 3 people were taken to
hospital over the Queens Birthday weekend.

 

Peter:         The leak was
on the wharf, looked like it might have been Patricks, at Swanston Dock. Asked
Quentin if he know any more about the leak.

 

Quentin:     Not aware of incident. Will make
enquiries and advise at the next meeting.

 

                    Action:
Information to be provided at the next meeting.

 

Robin:        Will
also ask Geoff Cooke if he knew anything about incident as WorkSafe   would
be involved with people being taken to hospital. Raises the issue of          people
bringing in chemicals in containers even though the volume is small.

 

Quentin:     Not
really an issue to the POMC as the chemicals are not stored.

 

Deborah:   Not
regarded as a Major Hazard Facility as only about 2% chemicals brought         through
the port in containers.

 

Michael:     Referred
meeting back to Bio Diesel and asked if anything was known about          the
process of converting plastics into Bio Diesel.

 

George:     Converting plastics into bio diesel
didn’t fit into the category that would be granted excise free status by the
government.

 

Ian:             Informed
the meeting of a symposium being run by the Royal Australian Chemical Institute
(RACI) with the theme “Energy Sources Old and New”. There will be a session on
bio-fuels, with one speaker being Mr David Vincent from Safer Energy.

 

Peter:         One
of the biggest problems facing Bio Diesel is people manufacturing the product
at home, with home production being illegal and dangerous.

 

Quentin:     EPA
prosecuted a company over Bio Diesel production emissions.

 

Peter:         Then
presented Terminals Pty Ltd report.

 

                    The
PyeGas export has not yet commenced, and the first shipment (a small trial load
of 1300 tonnes of over-specification product being sent to China) is expected
to be loaded on 26 June.

 

                    Discussion
then took place on the Improvement Notice raised by WorkSafe in relation to non
flameproof pump in truckfill area used without permit.

 

                    Peter
then advised that the pump is not a permanent fixture and was used as a
temporary measure. Pump was a mono pump used for pumping glycerine and used to
pump the molasses stored on site. It was an electrically powered pump, but not
a flame proof pump, and was being used in an area Zone 2 hazardous.

 

Robin:        Will
hear more when investigation completed.

 

Peter:         WorkSafe
asked if operators were aware that the pump was only to be used when trucks
were not under gantry. The required paperwork was not completed, procedures
were not followed with regard to permit and work instruction.

 

Peter:         Sewer
going ahead at site with sewerage contractor boring 2 1/2 meters down.

 

Faye:          Asked
if this goes below the water table.

 

Peter:         Yes

 

George:     Next
meeting will present Terminals intention to replace its security system. Feel
a security guard is no longer necessary as there is a security guard in the
gate house at the entry to MacKenzie Road. Terminals looking at installing
cameras.

 

                    Action:
Terminals to present details of the proposed security system at the next
meeting.

 

Robin:        Asked
if the option of having weighbridge at Plant C is more expensive to Terminals.

 

George:     Peter
prefers Plant C option, costing up and designed. The land being considered is
not being used for tank storage and is part of a roadway between Pacific
Terminals and Terminals. Positioning of the weighbridge on this particular
piece of land would improve access and be compatible with other road users.
The weighbridge is more of a customer service than revenue raiser.

 

 

ITEM 4:      ACTION
ITEMS:

 

IMPROVEMENT ACTION REPORT &
EPA / WORKSAFE SIGN OFF

 

                    Discussion
took place on the IAR and items signed off in the report. A number of
suggested changes were discussed, the wording of the sign-off was discussed, and
it was agreed the Robin would further consult with Quentin. Following agreement
on the wording, the IAR (marked as June 2006 version) would be put on the web
site.

 

                    It
was agreed that the report to the EPA could be used as input to the Annual
Report to the Community. While the EIP (and IAR) state that the 2003 Report be
commenced, it was agreed that a 2005 report was now more sensible. Terminals prepare
a draft of the Annual Report to the Community.

 

                    Action:
Separate item for next meeting. Annual report to the Community.

 

Deborah:   Said it would only be to Terminals advantage providing
a small report on everything that has been done to the site.

 

Faye:          Asked if
WorkSafe get a similar report or any other agency. Agreed the EPA report
should be expanded for the community.

 

Bro:             Does
CICCC have a requirement to report to the community?

 

Robin:        The proposed
Newsletter would have a report from the CICCC incorporated.

 

Ian:             Support
Bro agree to consider how we communicate with the community at large.

 

                    There
was further discussion on a number of aspects of the Improvement Action Report.

Peter:         With regard
to the section on Emergency Lighting he will clarify exact wording for next
meeting.

 

                    Action:
Exact wording for Emergency Lighting status to be clarified.

 

George:     Explained regarding the remediation
the CUTEP was submitted by required time. EPA now examining report by auditor.
Nothing Terminals can do just have to wait.

 

Ian:             Asked
Quentin to comment on report by auditor.

 

Quentin:     Not in his jurisdiction. Explained
the process usually requires a month or two to deliberate, not the only site
under review, a lot of issues happening with regard to clean up of sites.

 

Deborah:   Would like every box filled in with some
comment. Indicate that we have reviewed it.

 

Robin:        Status to be made
more specific in each case. Status column is the column to get right first
before the regulatory sign off.

 

                    Action:
Terminals to update status column prior to next meeting. Provide report via
email a week prior to meeting for review.

 

George:     There is a story behind all action
items so therefore more details can be added.

 

Robin:        More work to be
done by Terminals on the status. More updates to be noted in regulatory sign.
Off. Get up on website as it is at present then next meeting put on website
with updates included.

 

Ian:             Quite
a few grammatical references things like VECS and CUTEP to be spelled out.

 

Michael:     Consider a glossary.

 

George:     Will have Paul produce new drainage
system Plant B drawings at next meeting.

 

                    Action:
Paul to present new drainage system Plant B drawings at next meeting.

 

COMMUNITY
NEWSLETTER

 

Ian:             Felt
it should be a committee newsletter

 

Deborah:   Needs someone to coordinate

 

George:     No one is coordinating at the
moment.

 

Robin:        Previously George
was very doubtful about delivery of Newsletter. It was agreed to collate all
text input. First step is getting newsletter together, presenting on website
and via a hand out at council offices, libraries, etc.

 

Bro:             Agreed
should not be letter boxed.

 

Robin:        Encourage Terminals
to participate.

 

George:     Cynical
about Terminals circulating newsletter. Sees it as a community        newsletter
with a section set aside for Terminals item.

 

Ian:             Need
to get newsletter in existence first.

 

Deborah:   Terminals to make a list of the significant
improvements made since the Coode Island fires.

 

George:     Hears what Deborah is saying. Feels
the last 5 years is the new beginning as far as Terminals concerned when new
leases were signed.

 

Ian:             Suggested
Robin take over coordinating.

 

Robin:        Agreed to
coordinate newsletter

 

                    Action:
Robin to coordinate. Community representatives to provide small biography and
comments 3 weeks from now (6 July 2006) — just 2 or 3 lines. George and
Carlo to complete the input from Terminals. Use Clifton Consulting resources
to put into Newsletter format.

 

George:     Feels community consultation is on
going. The problem is how to maintain knowledge of Coode Island within the
community. Felt we must engage the Port of Melbourne Authority. There is apathy
around with people in government that Coode is “fixed”.

 

Ian              Advised
that possibly three properties in Footscray opposite Coode Island have been
purchased by the Port of Melbourne Corporation. Robin will ask Theo to
determine the Maribrynong Council view of such purchases, and the implications
for future land use planning.

 

NEXT
SCHEDULED MEETING:   10 August, 2006

Meeting
dates for 2006 – 12th October, 14th December 2006.

 

t

MEETING CLOSED: 9:30 pm