COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

 

Tuesday, 14th
November, 2017

Held at Terminals Pty
Ltd

70-78 Mackenzie Road,
West Melbourne @ 3:00pm

 

PRESENT

 

Robin
Saunders
:

CICCC /
Chairperson

Susan
Chatterton

Minute Taker,
Terminals Pty Ltd

 

 

Faye Simpson

Community
Rep./Committee

Phil Jones

National
Australian Operations Team, Terminals Pty Ltd

Deborah
McFarlane

Wayne Cook

Community
Rep./Committee

Victorian
Maintenance Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Michael
Isaachsen

 

Community
Rep./Committee

 

Ian Thomas

Joan Thomas

Community
Rep./Committee

Observer

 

 ITEM 1.      WELCOME BY
THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT           AGENDA

 

Robin

Apologies – Bro Sheffield-Brotherton

 

Draft Agenda – confirmed

 

Welcome to Wayne Cook and Phil Jones

 

ITEM 2.       INVITE
PHIL JONES, NATIONAL AUSTRALIAN OPERATIONS TEAM    Leader to address
the Committee on the recent changes at Terminals Pty            Ltd

 

Phil

Nicolas Moen, the new CEO, has implemented restructuring to level
management out, including the removal of State Managers’ positions. 
Unfortunately Don McKenzie and Deb Brown’s positions were made
redundant.  There is no real change for remaining structure.  Wayne
is the Victorian Maintenance Manager.

Michael

Any change during management changes?  Any change to Safety
and Environment at the work site?

Phil

At work site nothing has changed.  Day to day operations and
Safety also going to myself as well as Gary O’Sullivan and Cameron Nichols.

Ian

Like to ask whether there is anything to do with this committee; are
there any changes?

Phil

None whatsoever.  I am here very often, my office is at
Botany.

Faye

Have there been any changes to the running of the site.  Such
as the electronic maintenance systems?

Phil

All the same as prior to the changes.

Faye

This has been going for 4 months?

Phil

This week

Faye

Consequences of changes would not be noticeable yet?

Phil

I worked closely with Don prior to the change.  Wayne now
looks after both sites.

Wayne

I have history at both sites.  I only operate in Victoria.

Faye

Important to not lose the intellectual knowledge.

Ian

We have got to know a number of very competent people.  What
has happened to Don as he was a very good State Manager?

Phil

Don was made redundant as the position was made redundant. There
is only one operations management position in the new structure.  I have
worked with Don since he began and yes he was good at his job.

ACTION

Phil to explain the”ANZT” in the company’s name.

Ian

For the benefit of Deborah.  Wayne is here instead of Gary as
he is on leave.

Robin

I thought Terminals had business in Queensland?  Piece of
land up there?

Phil

Terminals still have the land but nothing built on the land.

Robin

When it comes down to not having the State Managers.  What
were the differences between the states?

Phil

Not much Adelaide is a MHF; NSW is not due to different
regulations.  Trying to streamline the business.

Deb

When a company gets rid of a lot of jobs like that is usually
indicates a company needs to cut costs.

Phil

Company is going very well.  In the process of expanding in
NSW.

Deb

As long as it does not undermine the safety.

 

 

 

ITEM 3.       A LETTER
OF APPRECIATION TO DON MCKENZIE

 

ACTION

Robin to write a letter of appreciation to Don McKenzie.

 

ITEM 4.       CONFIRM
DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING ON 25 July 2017, AND           REVIEW
ACTION ITEM LIST.

 

Draft Minutes of the 25th July 2017 adopted.

 

Ian

When there are good reasons for not being able to attend it should
be mentioned in minutes.

Robin

Other members might not want to have something noted.  Ask
Chair to mention more details should you wish.  If they want a reason
noted they can mention at time of apology.

 

Review of Action Sheet summary

 

Robin

Reporting in the past year has fallen into a heap.  There
needs to be a decision made as to whether Terminals want to proceed with the
detail of reporting.

Phil

Happy to report on whatever the committee wishes to know.

Michael

We just have to respect commercial in confidence.  Reports in
the past year are getting vaguer.  Probably less incidents but just so
vague.

02/2016/2

No response as yet to providing 2013-2014 Annual Report to the
Community.

Robin

Have you ever looked at the CICCC website?

Phil

No I have not.

Robin

There are 18 years of records you might like to look at as it is a
significant repository of the representation of the company.  Large
compendium of the reports.  2013-2014 Annual Report was largely put
together by Gary.  Revised form was put on website but was incomplete as
missing aspects of Health and Safety.  Asked in 2016 if those reports
could be updated.

 

The committee acts on behalf of the community.  I want to be
in a position where I can confidently advise any interested party that the
company is well managed, the facility has modern and safe infrastructure, and
that the committee is provided with a substantial reporting process which
allows us to understand what is happening on site and to follow up matters of
interest or concern.

 

  

In late 2010 the then CEO of Terminals Pty Ltd, George Horman,
wound up the old Geelong community consultative committee and replaced it
with a new structure. In order to forestall any disquiet that the same thing
might happen at Coode Island, George included in his public statement about
the change at Geelong the following paragraph:

 

 

“Be
assured we have no plans to change the existing CICCC committee as we feel
that group has caused and continues to cause Terminals to be a better
company, accountable for it’s actions and ensures that the regulators are
diligent. It also ensures improvements and additions are done to the most
appropriate standards and this is achieved in the best of good faith.”

 

Phil

I agree, I will go back and have a look at the reporting.  My
goal is to report back to you.

Faye

Increasing deregulation.  Role increasing from regulatory
point of view.

Phil

Chemical industry has not been deregulated much.  EPA –
“yes” as far as spills, as far as emissions “no”.

Ian

Confidentiality – we would like to view details of reports.

Phil

Yes will do that.

Michael

I am the only local.  Locals very satisfied our concerns with
health and safety have been satisfied and that the site is no longer a
problem.  They knew they are able to look at the website of this
Committee and that the company was under observation.  Could view level of
reporting.  Due to downgrading of reporting not too confident now
though.

Robin

The Committee may like to consider a “mail out” and generate
interest in getting new members, although it is recognized that it is not
easy to get people to commit time to the work of the committee.

 

Two previous members are now in parliament.  Not easy to
galvanize the community to participate in these committees.

Michael

I tried to have some people join the committee.

Robin

There is a complete lack of interest by EPA, Worksafe, and CFA to
attend the meetings.

Deb

Are you planning to store more petroleum based products?

Phil

There has been no major change to the products we store due to
downturn of manufacturing.

Ian

When we first formed Peter Reddie would draw a diagram of any technical
issue that came up on the whiteboard by way of explaining so we would get an
understanding.  George was also a diagram man.  That process was
informative.

ACTION

Phil will review the outstanding reports as detailed above, and
will respond with a plan of action not later than at the next meeting.

04/2017/2

Discussed as part of first item 02/2016/2.

 

 

04/2017/3

Improvement Action Report – to
be discussed during meeting.

 

 

04/2017/7

Devise a new reporting structure for incidents.

Will see how that goes in reporting today.

 

 

04/2017/8

Send the Terminals Reports not later than the Thursday before a
meeting
.

Reports are not put on the website.

 

 

07/2017/1

Incident Classification in Safety Case
– Request information from Stephen concerning the origin of the Incident
Classification Guide and the Major Incident Definition in the Safety Case.

Fallen by the wayside.  Phil will confirm with Stephen.

 

 

07/2017/2

Management action taken on each incident – Phil will confirm with Stephen.

 

 

 

TERMINALS PTY LTD

 

Phil

I am happy to give the information via the reports but do not wish
for the reports to be shared out of the site.

Robin

At these meetings we discuss Level 3 incidents, and any other
incident raised by attendees.

Faye

Nitrogen membrane generator (membrane separation) for general site.
So when it fails do you get a mixture of products?

Phil

No. 

 

Phil then explained the process of the Nitrogen generator (membrane
separation).

 

 

 

INCIDENTS

IRF-0817-0041

One injury for the period to the leg of an operator performing
Fire Watch duties.  As a consequence additional training is now provided
to permit issuers. Reviewing positon of distances whilst on fire watch.

Robin

What you have presented there now is precisely what we want. 
Could not ask for better than that.

Faye

Can we get a definition of the severity?

Robin

The definitions were tabled at previous meeting.

Phil

What I could do is put a definition at the bottom “0-5 band”.

Robin

Potential and actual.

Faye

Gives me some idea that it has been caught early.

Phil

Agree – whole idea around potential.  I would like to
see lots of 0’s and 1”s

Robin

Tell us about your board?

Phil

5 Shareholders that have invested in Terminals on behalf of

Superannuation funds. 6 Directors in total. Meet monthly, mostly
in

person. Some Directors are based overseas and fly in as required.
We

have an independent Chair.

Ian

What is his name?

Phil

I will have to get his details for you.

Robin

Are the meetings in Sydney

Phil

No Melbourne.

Faye

So this remains an unlisted company?

Phil

Yes as owned by superannuation companies.

Robin

Do you get the feeling the board is a good board?

Phil

Yes I do.

Michael

Asset damage or asset failure.  I think that is a significant
difference.

Phil

It is a debate I have had due to me having a mechanical
background.  Classification based on HSE requirements.

 

 

 

Site Visits and Points of Discussion

 

·                 
Phil Jones appointed as National Operations
Manager

 

·                 
Alan Figgis appointed as National Integrity
Manager

 

·                 
Deb Brown has left the company

 

·                 
Don McKenzie has left the company

 

·                 
MHF licence audits in progress for licence
renewal (PIN         notices issued and
complied with)

 

·                 
EBA negotiations in progress with NUW

 

Phil explained changes and roles. 

Phil

Presently going through PIN notices.  Worksafe have increased
their compliance requirements.  Improvements sought on our Safety
Management System to bring up to level that Worksafe will accept.

Robin

I would hope that as soon as a PIN is applied this committee would
be informed.

Phil

They generally only go through this process every 5 years. 
Next meeting I will give you a list of the PIN notices.  Worksafe have
told us our weaknesses.  Our licence will have where we are to improve.

ACTION

Phil to provide a list of the PIN notices and a discussion of each
will be on the agenda for the next meeting.

Faye

I believe new levels are to be reviewed.

ACTION

SEPP Levels.  How Terminals is to report on their conformance
to new SEP levels.

Phil

EBA up tomorrow.  Going through process which might result in
industrial action.

Robin

I received a call from Monique from the NUW who is going on
maternity leave and being replaced by Sam Roberts.

 

Members are concerned about reduced manning levels at the
wharf.  Industrial Action approved by Fair Work Australia.

Phil

Ballot conducted today.  They have to give us 72 hours’
notice.  They are asking for a 5% increase.

Robin

Are there any plans by Terminals to reduce manning on the wharf?

Deb

There have been incidents particularly at night whereby the ships
staff cannot speak very good English.  Contracting things out have been
unsatisfactory.

Phil

The contractors have the same training as operators.

Wayne

The contractors have all undergone the same training as the
current operators and are competent.  Currently used in the regular
running of the site.  Currently back filling with Management.  Day
to day operations does not require additional operators.

Phil

We do not carry enough manning to cover annual leave, or sick
leave.  Casual positions are utilized to backfill those positions.

Robin

When you train up casuals do you have to pay a retainer?

Phil

It is a balance of having enough work.  It is a full time
position with a hire company.

Wayne

It is about fatigue management.

 

ITEM 7.       OTHER
BUSINESS

 

ACTION

Robin to invite Nick Moen to the next meeting.

 

 

Robin

With regard to my own position as Chair,  I wish to give
notice that I am considering resigning.  Today I am feeling invigorated
with Phil’s response to the Committee’s concerns about the lack of action on
routine reporting.  Thought it would be a good idea to put on notice of
my intention.  I am happy to be in the Chair to enable a smooth
transition for any incoming chair.  I will have a discussion with Phil
regarding my continued involvement in the future of committee.

 

 

 

No further business.

 

 

 

Next meeting: 20 February 2018 on site at Coode Island at 3:00pm

 

 

 

Other meeting dates for 2018:-  20th
February, 22nd May, 21st August and 20th
November on site at Coode Island at 3:00pm.

 

 

 

MEETING CLOSED 4:50pm