COODE  ISLAND  COMMUNITY CONSULTATIVE  COMMITTEE

 

Adopted
Minutes

Thursday 14 March 2002



 

PRESENT

Robin Saunders
  Chairperson
Allen Hugli
  Chief
Financial Officer, Burns, Philp &    
  Company Limited/CICCC
Committee

Ian Swann
 General
Manager

/
PACIA
/ committee
John Luppino
  City
of Maribyr, GM City Dev /committee

Jim Clements
  Env. Protection Authority/ex
off comm
Michael Ragen
 
Cash Controller, Burns, Philp &

Co Limited / CICCC Committee

Ian
Thomas
  community rep./ committee
Bill Horrocks
  City
of Maribyr. Councillor/committee 
Faye Simpson
  community
rep./ committee
Deborah Macfarlane
 
community rep / CICCC committee
Carlo Fasolino
 
Op. Manager Terminals / committee
Ted Towson
  community
rep./ committee
Dr Peter Brotherton
Combined Enviro. Groups / committee
George Horman
  Terminals
Pty Ltd / committee

Michael Isaachsen
 
community rep./ committee
Cameron Fitzgerald
 
Environ. Protec Auth / ex off comm
Emma Klement
 
Env. Protection Authority / HR
Bronwyn Brookman Smith
  WorkSafe
Vanessa Richardson
  minute
taker

 

ITEM
1. WELCOME BY THE CHAIR



Robin
Saunders welcomed the committee members and other people attending the CICCC
meeting.

He
congratulated Bill Horrocks on his election as Mayor at the City of
Maribyrnong, for the second time.   


 

ITEM
2. APOLOGIES

Apologies
were received from Jarrod Edwards and Trevor Perkins. Bronwyn Brookman-Smith
represented WorkSafe at the meeting.

 

ITEM
3. CONFIRMATION OF THE DRAFT AGENDA


 The draft agenda was adopted.

 

ITEM
4.  BRIEF REPORT FROM AGENCIES AND
TERMINALS ON KEY ISSUES

See
attachment 1

Cameron
said that the EPA issued the Terminals Licence Amendment
today. The     
licence specifies the operating standards for the new vapour emission
control system, and removes some
redundant reporting requirements. Cameron tabled a list of changes
to the licence which included details in the following areas


Environment Improvement Plan (EIP)


Tank Integrity Reporting


Stormwater Management Reporting

Robin
said that the CICCC will want more information about the EIP and the level of    
community involvement required in this plan.

Cameron
said that the EPA saw it important that the CICCC have input into the EIP.

ACTION
The EIP development is to be listed on the Agenda for the next meeting
as an item for discussion.

Allen
said that Terminals P/L had initiated the preparation of the EIP.

Jim
said that of the 50 facilities in the State that have prepared EIPs 47 have
done so voluntarily. All of those, apart from 3 companies, have volunteered to
prepare EIPs. The other 3 companies were compelled by the EPA to prepare EIPs.


Ian
Thomas said that the changes were positive and had improved the safety of the
Terminals site. He asked Cameron if the EPA had been aware that Terminal’s
new VECS would cost $4.3 million to install. 
Ian went on to say that the benzene tanks on the east side of Mackenzie
Road would be connected to the new VECS system at an estimated cost of $1
million and only be in service for 4 months beyond the date they were
connected. They would then be decommissioned.



George
said that Terminals wanted to provide benzene to customers and they were
required to comply by installing the new VECS. The Marstel 
site is still not completed and final timelines are unclear so the
4-month operational period could be stretched.

In
answer to Michael’s question, Allen said that the decision to install the
new VECS was a commercial decision and the requirement for the VECS had not
been ‘rammed down their throats’ by the regulatory authorities.



Cameron
said that there have been lots of improvements already made including interim
measures like changing the carbon beds more regularly. He said that the
longer-term solutions included the VECS.

The
styrene tank (reported previously to have leaked through a corroded pinhole)
has been repaired and Terminals are seeking approval to return it to service.

George
commented that benzene emissions had been reduced to below the 51 g level 
license limit consistently over the last couple of months. To achieve
this reduction, the largest benzene tank had been taken out of service, and
the inventory reduced by one third.

Ian
Thomas asked if it might not be wiser for Terminals to ask the EPA to consider
waiving the new VECS requirements for the tanks on
the east side of McKenzie Road for the four months they will be in
operation after August 2002.

Robin
asked “If $1 million were to be spent at Coode Island, what would give the
greatest environmental or safety improvement?”.



ACTION.
Cameron will provide a copy of the licence (and a copy of his summary) to
Robin for circulation to members and for posting to the web site.

Bronwyn
said that WorkSafe concluded the six monthly audit round on 8 March.
Terminals were visited on 28 February. The WorkSafe audit report is due by
the end of March.

ACTION.
The April meeting will include the WorkSafe audit report for Terminals.

The
Safety Case for the Corio site has been submitted.

Ian
Thomas asked if the bottoms of the tanks at the Corio facility would be in the
same condition as those on Coode Island.

George
said that the Corio tanks are newer than the Coode Island tanks. They are
inspected regularly as required. He said that one leak in a tank on Coode
Island did not mean that the other tanks in the facility were not sound. He
said that 3 tanks have been lifted recently 
and checked for faults. They are in good condition.

George
said that it is now possible for Terminals to pick up faults by scanning the
floors of the tanks. The scanners detect corrosion. If corrosion occurs it is
usually found on the outside of the tank. There is only one tank on the site
containing material that can potentially corrode the tank interior. .

All
the tanks on Coode Island are due for inspection during the next 2 years. They
are checked every 10 years.


George
said that the following activities have occurred in the past month


The Geelong site Safety Case was submitted.


Terminals have let a contract for the new combustors at Coode Island.


The bio pile appears to be working well. There are no results yet.


The acrylate tanks and their foundations are being upgraded. Three already
   have
substantial foundations and so they only require new liners.

George
showed the CICCC photos of the tank lifting process. He explained that the
tanks are lifted in small distances with the aid of air bags and then
supported with solid chocks. This process is repeated until the tanks have
been lifted to a height of about 2 metres that enables full inspection of the
foundation below the tank, and the metal base can also be inspected
thoroughly. A plastic liner is placed between the tank and the pad prior to
lowering the tank.


In
answer to Peter’s question George said that the bio pile contained low
levels of the following contaminants


hydrocarbons


heavy metals left on the site before Terminals P/L leased it


lube oil


benzene

Terminals
are still ascertaining the level of heavy metals on the site. This will not be
clear until the bio pile is turned over. If it looks like contaminants are
going to threaten the nearby waterways then Terminals will do something about
that, otherwise they will be left as they are.   


Peter
said that changes to the regulations concerning disposal of contaminated soil
to landfill were imminent.

ACTION.
George will get details about the volume of soil which is being remediated in
the bio mass. He will also report to the CICCC about the impending regulatory
changes mentioned above and how they might affect Terminals management of 
the contaminated soil.

 

George
said that the styrene tank had been repaired and Terminals are awaiting
WorkSafe’s permission to start using the tank once more. This tank has not
been lifted yet. Tankbuilders were employed to repair the bottom of the tank.
They welded on  overlapping plates
to the bottom in the position where the leak occurred and in other areas
where   there were some small
holes. The welds were then tested. The area under the tanks was pumped full of
nitrogen to ensure that fires were not ignited while the welding process took
place.

Ian
Thomas and Michael thanked George for his thorough explanation of the process.


 

ITEM
5. CONFIRMATION OF THE MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING 14 FEB 2002

The minutes were adopted with the following alterations

• pp 3 …Insert before the paragraph starting “Cameron stated that
different facilities…” 
to a new paragraph, as follows: “Michael stated that Worlds Best practice    
depended in part on the complexity of the plant.”

• pp 4 …Amend the sentence “WorkCover have given feedback about
the Corio risk     assessment
Pilot Study.”
to “WorkCover have given feedback about the Corio Safety Case Pilot
Study.”

 

ITEM
6.  ACTION ITEMS FROM THE PREVIOUS
MEETING

 6.1
Letter to EPA from the Committee raising issues of concern, and response.

These
were e-mailed to everyone on the 20 & 22 Feb.


The
CICCC discussed whether or not these two e-mails should be included on the
CICCC web site.

Deborah
said that the only information going onto the web site  in the last 12
months has been the meeting minutes. As schools are going to use the site in
the future she suggested that further information could be of interest to
them.

She
said that some of the ‘links’ were not working.

Faye
suggested that references (date, page number, etc) to specific newspaper
articles could be included without actually including a ‘link’ to that
newspaper.

Robin
said that newspapers do not make their newspaper articles available via the
web for very long.

ACTION.
Robin will add informative documents and correspondence to the web site and
check the ‘links’ operation.
 

Ian
Thomas said that the Marstel vapour balancing matter has progressed a lot
recently. The letter dated 27 February 2002 from the EPA
was not useful in that it did not
indicate recent developments on this matter.

Cameron
said that the 20B-conference report was not yet finalised.

Jim
said that the chairperson of the EPA will make a decision before the 17 April
as to when the report will be available.

ACTION.
The CICCC awaits the 20 B Conference Report (if it is made available to the
public).

 

6.2
Possible public forum

See
attachment 2

The
CICCC discussed the need for such a forum. The previous forum was held two
years ago.

Some
of the possible topics suggested for the forum included

:

    • Robyn Betts update of project

    • Upgrades at Terminals

    • Marstel and Terminal’s joint efforts.

    • Marstel presentation.

    • Terminals Safety Case ( available to do in
early July)

 Michael
said that the recently facilitated 20B Conferences were public forums and so
he wondered if another public forum was necessary.

Ian
Thomas suggested that the press releases, web page and meetings were providing
sufficient information to the public. He said that very few members of the
public attend the forums.

Robin
agreed that public interest had been low.



Michael
said that recently, when he was delivering the Marstel newsletters, he met and
talked to residents and business owners in the area. His observations included
the following:

    • Of 20 householders, only 3 knew of what
occurred on Coode Island and the others had
little idea of what occurred on the island.

    • They were not asking questions about any
possible hazards associated with Coode Island.


    • They did not know about the CICCC meetings.

 

Bill
suggested that a forum could follow a CICCC meeting. It would provide an
opportunity for the public to ask questions.

John
thought there would not be big enough numbers to warrant such a meeting.

Faye
suggested that stickers could be distributed to advertise the meeting.

Peter
said that most of the CICCC communication methods were passive and he wondered
if other methods should be investigated. He said that Coode Island is of
interest to a wider group than the locals in the area.

Robin
said that the wider spread of information can result in positive issue
development as occurred recently between the Marstel and CICCC.


John
suggested that the CICCC await Robyn Betts report on the questionnaire
results. She had a high return rate of 14% (700 returns). This represented a
possible database of 700 people already. The questionnaire was 8 pages long.

Peter
said that privacy issues could be a factor in contacting people on a database.

 

ACTION.
Peter will forward the relevant privacy legislation information to Robin.

 

ACTION
. Robin will contact Robyn Betts and ask her to cover the 
issues of interest to the CICCC members in her presentation to the
CICCC next month.

The
CICCC also discussed the need for a process for amalgamation of the Marstel
and Terminals committees. Peter Brotherton suggested that the City of
Maribyrnong look into options for moving to a future single committee.

Jim
said that as the Works Approvals for both companies have neared completion,
the EPA supported the amalgamation of both committees.

ACTION.
Bill and John will explore process options to move towards achieving one
committee, and present them to the CICCC for discussion at the next meeting.

 Deborah
said it was of concern that once again the City of Maribyrnong were expected
to invest resources into Coode Island management issues, yet they were not
in receipt of the local government rates for Coode Island. The rates go the
City of Melbourne. She said that the CICCC appreciated the City of
Maribyrnong’s expenditure on Coode Island very much.

Bill
said that the City of Maribyrnong is moving ahead slowly on the issue of who
should receive the rates for Coode Island.


Ian
Thomas said that the 2nd Marstel Newsletter was ‘a brilliant and excellent
achievement’. He commented that in the title for the newsletter, the word
‘Marstel’ was less obvious to the eye than other title words like
‘Consultative Group (Coode Island)’

Peter
said it will be interesting to find out if people actually read the newsletter
or treat it as just more junk mail.


Robin
said the CICCC will await Robyn Betts’ report on these matters before
further discussing the need for forums or other communication methods.

 

6.3
Community and environment representatives meeting with Marstel

Nothing
further to report.

 

6.4
Invitation to Robyn Betts to present the results of the community survey on   


     
Emergency Management Pilot Study (accepted for the 11 April meeting)

Robyn
will make her presentation at the next meeting.

 

6.5
Safety Case Regulatory Regime Review-need for representation by DNV

The
DNV brief for the work was Attachment 5 to the Minutes of the CICCC meeting on
14 February 2002.

Robin
said that the DNV brief had been to look at the regulatory regimes for all
industries in all states. He said he thought it unnecessary for the CICCC to
spend time on this.

Some
other CICCC members disagreed.

Faye
asked if they wanted community input. Robin said that they had sought
community input but had heard mainly from industry representatives.

Faye
said that it would be useful to tell them that the community are interested in
these issues and that they want the Safety Cases to be made public.

Robin
said he had articulated the above points on behalf of the CICCC when speaking
to a representative from DNV.

Deborah
said she would be interested to know what they were saying about Coode Island
and the other facilities in the area.

ACTION.
Robin will contact DNV and ask the above questions.

   
Note
from the Chairperson:

    Subsequent to this March meeting, I spoke to Huw
Jones the Victorian Manager of   
DNV,   on this matter.
Huw advised that the only reference to Coode Island in their 
entire report    were
the remarks that I had made to Alan Ross when he interviewed me last
December. These mainly centred on the community desire for Safety Cases to
be publicly accessible,  as
they are in the UK.
 

George and Michael said this was not an issue for the CICCC to address.

Ian Swann said that it would only impact on Terminals if there were to
be amalgamations of some of the legislated requirements.

Robin said that Victoria were leaders the field of Major Hazard
facilities in Australia.

 Bronwyn
said that DNV were working for the Department of Treasury and Finance. She
said that presently there are 2 or 3 different Safety Case regulatory
frameworks operating in Victoria. Some companies are required to comply with
all of these. This review will report on what is best for Safety Case regimes
in Victoria.

Robin
said that DNV are not likely to reveal much information because they are
required to report initially to the government.

Bronwyn
said that WorkCover has a representative on a committee that is looking at
this DNV review.

ACTION.
Bronwyn will talk to he WorkCover representative on the review committee and
ask them

    • what has been said about Coode Island?

    • what improvements to the Major Hazard regime
might be expected?

    • what are the major outcomes of the report?

 ACTION.
Robin will give DNV contact details to Ian Thomas so those on the CICCC who
have a personal interest in this matter can follow up with the DNV as
necessary.

 



6.6
Update from Maribyrnong City Council on Bronwyn Pike meeting

   

John
said that Bill has been in touch with the Minister’s office and this
matter is progressing. He will keep the CICCC informed.



 

ITEM
7. CORRESPONDENCE OUT   


Letter
to EPA 20/02/02 re emissions…see Action item 6.1.

 

 

  

ITEM
8. CORRESPONDENCE IN 

• Response from EPA 27/02/02…see Action item 6.1.

  

ITEM
9. AIR QUALITY MONITORING (EPA)
 

Cameron
tabled copies of the report -‘Ambient Air Quality Monitoring Program –
Volatile Organic Compounds’ (45 pages – copies of the report are available
from Terminals P/L).

He
said that the report consisted of analysis of material collected up to January
2002 and supplementary information. It is not possible to compare this data
directly with that collected for other purposes. The EPA is now investigating
some of the elevated levels of chemicals that were found during the monitoring
period. The elevated levels were for chemicals not stored at Coode Island.
There were no elevated air emissions levels coming from the Terminals site.
There were no elevated levels of acrylate.

EPA
will combine the results of the off-site monitoring with results of previous
monitoring on and off site, to correlate and enhance the value of both data
sets. They will report back on this work at the next meeting.
 

ACTION
Cameron will report on the further analysis at the April meeting.

 

ITEM
10. SOIL REDEMPTION TEST RESULTS (TERMINALS) 

   
Deferred to the April meeting.

 

ITEM
11. WORKCOVER AUDIT REPORT  

   
Deferred
to April meeting.

 

ITEM
12. AGENDA FOR THE NEXT MEETING (11 APRIL 2002) 

    See the above
ACTION  ITEMS.

  

ITEM
13. OTHER BUSINESS 

    13.1    
Terminals monthly report for Feb.


See attachment 3. 

Carlo
presented the Terminals monthly report for Feb. It was a busy month.

In
answer to a question about the main products exported by Terminals from Coode
Island, Carlo said that tallow was handled in the largest volumes (about
20-30,000 tons were exported annually mainly to Asia and China). Tallow was
followed in volumes by acerton, phenol and styrene.
 

George
said that the odour complaint from the Department of Human Services in
Moreland Street was not an odour that he recognised. He checked at the
Moreland Street location and said that at that time there was a SSW wind and
he could not smell anything so he does not believe the odour came from
Terminals.

 

Carlo
reported that a Dept of Human Services audit found high bacteria levels in the
VECs cooling tower. This bacteria was not legionella.
 

Ian
Swann said that there are new regulated requirements for cooling towers
maintenance and that many facilities had not yet adjusted their procedures.
Using more chemicals could improve their operation.

Ian 
Thomas said that the Health Department had information about a variety
of processes that could be used apart from increasing the amount of chemicals
used in the cooling tower maintenance procedures. They also offered workshops
to assist the public to appropriately maintain their systems. 

An
operator received phenol burns on the arms during a ship loading operation.
Carlo said that the incident occurred because the operator used the wrong
gloves.  Terminals are reviewing the process used in handling this
product.

In
answer to Faye’s question Carlo said that incident reports increased last
year due to the large number of odour reports from the public.

He
said that the people they now use as contractors are the same people that were
employed as normal Terminals staff members. There has simply been a change in
the way they are now paid (as contractors rather than staff members).

ACTION.
Carlo will provide a summary report on the incidents that occurred last year.

  

    13.2 Ian Thomas’s submission to the 20B
Conference for the Marstel development.

Ian
raised concerns that following Terminals’ submission to the 20B Conference,
Marstel responded by proposing to move the location of the two propylene oxide
tanks to the north and away from the boundary with Terminals. This then placed
them as close to the community as possible (i.e. adjacent to the river). He
also expressed concerns that this change and a change in the number of tanks
proposed, was deemed by the EPA to be a minor variation to the application and
did not warrant public input.
 

 

13.3   
Michael’s submission to the
20B Conference for the Marstel development.


    
Michael said that in his submission to the 20B Conference he raised the
issue of using rail transport for major hazard goods, as he believes it would
be a more efficient means of transport for the industry. He said his
submission included a plan that would mean less dangerous goods would be
stored on Coode Island but would be dispatched by rail to an inland facility. 
This would mean that fewer volumes of major hazard materials would be
stored on Coode Island. He said it would be difficult to implement such a plan
while P&O leased land that could be used for rail connections to Marstel
and Terminals.
 

 

CLOSE.
 

    Time 9.35pm

  

NEXT
MEETINGS   
   

    Thursday 11 April 2002(Robin and Carlo tendered
apologies)

    Thursday 9 May
2002

  

CICCC
ATTACHMENTS TO DRAFT MINUTES

 14
March 2002

 

Attachment    
1
      Licence Amendment notes -presentation
EPA

Attachment    
2     
Marstel
Newsletter Vol 1 – Issue 2

Attachment    
3     
Terminals
P/L Monthly Operations & Occurrence Reports for Feb2002

Attachment    
4     
CICCC
Web Page Usage details
 

 

Items
posted to those without e-mail facilities include

• E-mail 27/2  Robin S & Cameron clarifying EPA’s understanding of the
predicted emissions from the proposed Marstel benzene tanks.

• CICCC Media Release 14/02/02

• Meinhart Report…to the Cities of
Maribyrnong and Melbourne on the Marstel Works Approval application, dated Feb
2002

• CICCC letter to Jim Clements of EPA dated 
20/2/02 on vapour emissions.

• Quentin Cooke’s reply on behalf of EPA
dated 27 Feb 2002

• To Jim (EPA) 20 Feb 2002. Re: vapour
emissions

• Valerie Gemmell e-mail 27 Feb 2002