COODE ISLAND
COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE
COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

Thursday, 14th
December, 2006

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin
Saunders
:

CICCC /
Chairperson

Paul Hayward

Regional
Engineering Manager

Ian Thomas:

Community
Rep./Committee

George Horman

Managing
Director, Terminals Pty Ltd

Deborah
Macfarlane
:

Community
Rep./Committee

Carlo
Fasolino

Victorian Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Michael
Isaachsen
:

Community
Rep./Committee

Sue
Chatterton

Minute Taker

Bro Sheffield
Brotherton

Community
Rep./Committee

 

 

 

ITEM 1.     WELCOME
BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT   AGENDA

 

Robin         Welcomed
all in attendance.

Apologies Quentin Cooke, Theo Pykoulas, Geoff Cooke

                    Confirmation
of draft agenda – adopted

 

 

ITEM 2.      CONFIRMATION
OF DRAFT MINUTES MEETING 13th April, 2006

 

Robin:        Draft minutes of 12 October, 2006 confirmed, next years meeting
dates         agreed.

 

ITEM 3:      REPORTS
FROM AGENCIES

 

TERMINALS PTY LTD

Presented by Peter La Rose and
George Horman

 

Peter:         Presented the
Operations and Occurrence Report for Oct/Nov 2006. Export of Pygas went
perfectly without incident. There were no lost time injuries. Two audits were
conducted by clients those being Shell Chemicals and Exxon.

 

The weighbridge is to
be built on Terminals site as Melbourne Port Corporation not helpful at all
regarding other proposals put to them. At this stage the weighbridge is to be
used solely by customers of Terminals Pty Ltd with Pacific Terminals and Gordon
Brandon indicating an interest in utilizing facility.

 

The Marstel weighbridge
is situated under their gantry. B-double trailers are disconnected in Mackenzie
Road and weighed separately as the Marstel weighbridge is unable to accommodate
the entire B-Double.

 

During the site visit
in February the actual weighbridge location will be highlighted.

 

Bro:             Felt
it would be a good idea for a letter to be sent to the Port of Melbourne
Corporation regarding the weighbridge location.

 

Action: Robin to
write to the Port of Melbourne Corporation advising the CICCC’s disappointment
at the PoMC decision to make no public site available to Terminals for its
weighbridge, consequently disadvantaging other Coode Island Users.

George:     Informed the committee that Pacific
Terminals have started foundation and construction for further tank
storage. Earthworks have commenced, and soil has been carted off-site. As far
as he is aware no planning application has been sought for the tanks. It would
have been good to have EPA here tonight to clarify what government regulation
applies to the expansion. The site is undergoing redevelopment and the rest of
Coode users are not being informed as to what tanks are to be used for.

 

Peter:         The road
between Terminals and Pacific Terminals is going to be used for as their
truck exit route.

 

George:     George asked Carlo to report gas usage
in future operations reports.

George:     Terminals was in VCAT in late
November regarding the proposed Bitumen Plant – Geelong site. To date
still awaiting approval. There were a number of objections on the grounds that
the bitumen storage could be a hazard to the VCM storage.

 

                    With
regards to the sewer connection, City West Water is to date refusing to
commission the new sewer connection. The connection is under the parking lane
in Mackenzie Road. City West water requires an easement. PoMC says it can’t
have one. CWW want a tri-partite agreement, including PoMC and users. PoMC do
not wish to be party to such an agreement.

 

                    Action:
Robin to write a letter to the Minister (copy Ian Munroe) regarding the sewer
connection.

 

George:     P & O to date has not taken up
the lease area on the East side. Preliminary work has commenced on the site to
check out the capacity of the site. Geotechnical studies have commenced 12
months after the site was made available, with a crash program because of P
& O’s urgent need.

 

Robin:        Thanked George and
Peter for their report

 

ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

Presented by Quentin Cooke

Not in attendance deferred to next meeting.

 

CITY OF MARIBYRNONG

Presented by Theo Pykoulas

 

Not in attendance deferred to next meeting.

 

 

ITEM 4:      ACTION
ITEMS

 

Robin:        Robin will prepare
an Action Item list following the meeting, which will be circulated with the
Draft Minutes, and avoid agreed actions “falling through the cracks”.

 

 

ITEM 5:      NEWSLETTER
(discussion on draft)

 

Bro:             Felt
his input to Karen had not been well represented in her draft. Several other
community members had the same comment.

 

Robin         We need to get
our act together and achieve an outcome. Feeling disappointed at this stage as
Terminals started out not wanting a newsletter and have put forward resources
to help achieve outcome. Community members need to put down specific changes
to what we want in newsletter. Believe we should get behind what Karen
(Clifton Consulting) has done and accept it. What Karen has put forward she
felt was still too long. Need to consolidate a decision on which way we are to
go and move on to next steps.

 

Bro:             Timing
of distribution should be late January prior to February open day.

 

Ian:             Even
though rapidly getting close to Xmas prepared to shorten piece given to Karen
and notify Karen in the next few days.

 

George:     Take what is there already and
reword.

 

Robin:        Contributions way
too long at present, asked Ian to get in touch with Karen and be specific as to
what he wants in Newsletter. As a group asked all to commit to making any
comments to Karen by Xmas.

 

George:     Open Day could be moved to a date in
March if more preferable 17th or 24th.

 

Robin:        Finalise text by
end of January. Need a session with Karen Thursday 8th February
2007.

 

Ian:             Asked
if Robin could contact Faye on her views and convey to her what we are doing
prior to Xmas.

 

Robin:        Already
received an email from Faye.

 

 

ITEM 6:      ANNUAL
REPORT TO THE COMMUNITY

 

Carlo:         Presented
the report.

 

Robin:        Undertook
to email out and put on agenda for February meeting.

 

George:     Would
like to have the report finalised and done.

 

ITEM 7:      OTHER
BUSINESS

 

Possible storage of other chemicals at Coode Island such
as Class 2.3 poisonous gases

 

Ian:             As
a result of request by PACIA of companies in the port area to make clear about
what if any chemicals they wish to store.

 

Robin:        Will
make enquiries through PACIA.

 

Further
business

 

Michael:     Tabled
a letter from himself regarding land transport.

 

NEXT
SCHEDULED MEETING:   Special meeting on newsletter at 6:30 pm on 8
February 2007. Regular meeting on 22nd February, 2007, preceded by a
site inspection at 5:00 pm

Meeting
dates for 2007 – 17th May, 19 July, 20 September, 22 November,
2007.

 

MEETING CLOSED: 7:40 pm

 

 

 



ACTION ITEM LIST

Meeting Date / Action Item No

Description

Progress

Completed

December 06/1

Robin to write to
PoMC re weighbridge

 

 

December 06/2

Robin to write to
Minister re sewer commissioning

 

 

December 06/3

Robin to commence
an Action List as part of the Minutes

 

 

December 06/4

Carlo to send
Annual Report to Community to Robin for distribution and posting to web site.

 

 

December 06/5

Robin to ask PACIA
about their request to companies in the port area to advise about future
chemical storage.