COODE ISLAND
COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE
COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

Thursday, 13th
October, 2005

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin
Saunders
:

CICCC /
Chairperson

Quentin Cooke:

Env.
Protection Authority / Ex Off Comm

Ian Thomas:

Community
Rep./Committee

Maree Lang
(in place of Margaret Donnan)

PACIA

Deborah
Macfarlane
:

Community
Rep./Committee

Colleen
Hartland

City of
Maribyrnong

Faye Simpson

Community
Member

Geoff Cooke

WorkSafe

Michael
Isaachsen
:

Community
Rep./Committee

Peter Rienks

Director of
Hazard Management, WorkSafe

Paul Hayward

Engineering
Manager Victoria, Terminals Pty Ltd

 

George Horman

Managing
Director, Terminals Pty Ltd

 

Sue
Chatterton

Minute Taker

 

 

 

 

 

ITEM 1.     WELCOME
BY THE CHAIR

 

Robin         Extended
a special welcome to Pieter Rienks from WorkSafe and Bruce       Mildenhall
MP, Parliamentary Secretary to the Premier.

 

                    APOLOGIES

 

                    Theo Pykoulas, Carlo Fasolino, Peter LaRose, Margaret Donnan

   

                    CONFIRMATION
OF DRAFT AGENDA

 

                    Adopted

 

ITEM 2.      INTRODUCTION
TO COMMITTEE OF PIETER RIENKS

 

Robin:        Invited Pieter Rienks to give a brief overview of his career to date
and his role         at WorkSafe.

 

Pieter         Joined
Major Hazards unit in 2000, formerly with Ansett Airlines Duties whilst         at
Ansett Airlines were safety orientated. Forming partnerships with Unions,        Industry
and Community. Foresees 2006 as a big year with the 2nd round of            MHF
license renewals due. Explained how he felt WorkSafe fulfilled a      regulatory
role over the industries concerned.

                   There
are 90 people in the Hazard Division of WorkCover: which covers       licensing,
(including tankers, pyrotechnics and displays), technical and the          Major
Hazards Unit. Pieter is concerned with outcomes, not just process.

 

Robin:        Then
threw over to those present to ask questions. Asked Pieter about the Safety
Cases and how in Pieter’s view has the safety regime improved the           safety
standards.

 

Pieter:       

·              
Over many years modifications to the standards
have taken place

·              
A systems approach of examining the linkages
between hazards, incidents and impacts, with the review of control systems to
reduce incidents, had been un-linked in the operations of a number of large
companies, and new safety management systems were needed.

·              
Industries did not have safety arrangements in
place at the start and now they have.

·              
WorkSafe are looking at how to strengthen the
small employer

·              
Series of controls put in place

·              
Critical controls in place

 

George:     Terminals have just
been through a large comprehensive audit. What more is        envisaged
to have companies gear up for round 2.

 

Pieter:        In
some cases the methodology was wrong in round 1 and it hasn’t worked.           Up
to 50% more required for Round 2 to enable companies to gear up for 2nd
     round. Unless the Safety Case regimes are maintained
the safety value    deteriorates.

 

Faye:          What
about the smaller contractors who are self employed who are handling           hazardous
materials?

 

Pieter:        The
main employer would ensure they work under their WorkSafe regulations        by
providing adequate inductions, ensuring they wear protective clothing etc.

 

Faye:          What
about the quality and safety of the tanker if an owner driver.

 

Pieter:        Driver,
vehicle and tanker are all licensed, all monitored with incident reports.        Also
monitoring peoples driving records. The transport industry very strong on   product
stewardship. Licenses are renewed every 3 years.

 

Robin:        Thanked
Pieter for attending meeting.

 

 

ITEM 3:      DRAFT
PORT ENVIRONS PLAN

 

Robin:        Introduced
Bruce Mildenhall MP and asked him to speak on the Port of         Melbourne
Environs Plan.

 

Bruce:        Thanked
Robin for the opportunity. Spoke of his attendance at Terminals    earlier
in the day and his role in the scheme of things. The development proposal at
99 Moreland Street, Footscray and the planning controls that     should
apply to the areas surrounding the Port of Melbourne led him to believe the
solution was by stake holder participation. Give a stake holder forum a try    to
see if we could find a future for the surrounding area. Premier proposed to      assist
in a consultative version of the Port Environs Plan.

 

                    Terms
of Reference were then circulated.

 

                    Significant
progress has been made to date with the core ground of the forum         consisting
of Municipalities, State Agencies, Port of Melbourne and Freight &      Logistics
Council.

 

                    There
have been 2 meetings so far to confirm Terms of Reference. Bruce then       explained
the works program.

 

                    Threshold
issues – how to ensure total alignment between town planning the         strategic
uses of the port. Looking at Coode Island with regard to hazards                     perspective
and consulting with WorkSafe.

 

                    WorkSafe
reported back that it was time to consider refined methodology of             the
impact of Coode Island. A more sophisticated analysis was determined         with
regard to vapours, noise etc as well as injuries and deaths.

 

                    The
Port of Melbourne container movements were looked at with a projected          increase
from 2 million to 5.5–8 million per year and the impact that will have      on
the surrounding area.

 

Michael:     Container movement of
5.5 million per annum was quite disturbing. Split     between
road and rail with 30% going by rail is this likely to be increased

 

Bruce:        Stated he was not
happy with the target as 30% by rail is not a good figure, leaving as it does
70 on the roads. Currently working on a set of more      aggressive
policy propositions to facilitate a change to ratios.

 

Michael:     Concerned about not
only the trucks but increased freight train noise impacting      on
a different group of people.

 

Bruce:        Far
more manageable set of issues than VicRoads saturation use of the West         Gate
bridge. Future difficulty in finding an alternative road to use.

 

Michael:     Asked if government
was looking into reinstating the rail to Webb Dock.

 

Bruce:        That
option was being investigated, it is back on the agenda.

 

Deborah:   Is there a chance in the long
term of moving Coode Island, is there a chance of       this
option being reinstated on the government long term agenda?

 

Bruce:        There
is no viable alternative location. Now long term decisions have been             made
on long term lease and money, the threshold decisions have been             made.

 

George:     The chemical industry
at Coode Island would account for 60-70 trucks a week        whereas
P & O Ports account for 2,000 – 3,000 a week.

 

Colleen:     Council has been
prevented from redeveloping any land close to Coode Island.

 

Robin:        Picked
up on George’s point regarding trucks. Puts into context a small        number
against a large number as P & O acquire more land they would    eventually
store more containers.

 

Quentin:     Prediction is not a
soaring growth in transportation of chemicals. Further       general
discussion that chemical storage may even decline.

 

Colleen:     Council sees
container transportation as a major problem which is not being           addressed.

 

Bruce:        Assured
the problem was being addressed. The main problem was in how do       you
link up the transport routes with the container destinations.

 

Colleen:     Then mentioned
transit cities.

 

Deborah:   Asked what a transit city was.

 

Bruce:        Then
spoke about transit cities with regard moving major storage facilities well       away
from the port (using rail), allowing redevelopment and revitalizing of            whole
precincts. 3 precincts for development as distribution points are

 

                    1.
Dandenong, 2. Altona       3 Somerton

 

                    The
cartage rates were very competitive between cities for rail transportation           which
ought to raise target from 30% upwards.

 

Robin:        Mentioned
an email he received from Bruce advising the forum would be     looking
for community representation. Robin felt we should write to the City of    Maribyrnong
asking that a member of the CICCC be one of the       representatives.

 

Ian:             Felt
that more than 1 representative would be required.

 

Michael:     Up to council to make
the call.

 

Ian:             Not
appropriate for council to be arbitrator on who is put forward.

 

Robin:        Council
is to nominate 3 community representatives. Will copy Bruce into our         letter.

 

Bruce:        From
his point of view up to council. In essence it will be a steering committee.

 

Ian:             Made
three points for consideration:

 

1.                  
Big freight diesel trains at night the noise
they generate is phenomenal

2.                  
Has witnessed a gradual reduction for the need
of chemical industry. We should support our own chemical industries.

3.                  
Risk contours – questions of noise,
amenities as against death etc.

 

Bruce:        Nature
of methodology changing. Fairly optimistic about longer trains.

 

Michael:     Ever changing designs
in trains should result in the noise issue being           addressed.

 

Robin:        Thanked
Bruce on behalf of the committee.

 

Bruce:        Happy
to come back with a progress report.

 

Maree and Colleen departed the meeting along with
Bruce.

 

 

ITEM 4:      REPORTS
FROM AGENCIES

 

 

                    TERMINALS
PTY LTD

                    Presented
by Paul Hayward

 

Paul:           Then
presented Terminals Pty Ltd report.

 

                    Demolition
and remediation to exceed $7 million.

                    Plant
C close to being finished.

 

George:     Explained
VCAT lasted for 15 days – Geelong Butadienne – outcome approval to
build, council have now issued a planning permit.

 

                    Told
committee about Huntsman in USA putting their Melbourne plant on the market.

 

Robin:        What
are implications for Marstel?

 

George:     Did
not know.

 

 

                    ENVIRONMENT
PROTECTION AUTHORITY

                    Presented
by Quentin Cooke

 

Quentin:     EPA
has project going regarding arsenic in Maribyrnong river. Subsequent to that a
great deal of water sampling and fish studies being conducted. An audit is
being undertaken South of Somerville Road down towards West Gate Bridge and
Yarra. There is a lot of historical industrial use in that particular part of
the river bank. Have engaged an auditor over the next 6 months to test the
river.

 

                    Clean
up notices will be issued to those found responsible or it may be a combined
affect of all the industries around area. Yet to be determined.

 

Ian:             Geology
of part of Melbourne contains a high level of arsenic naturally.

 

Quentin:     That’s
the idea of the audit to look at that bit of the river in its totality.
Potential remediation could be extensive. There is information on the website
regarding the project. Michael, Colleen and Andrew Clifton sitting on
reference committee.

 

Michael:     Asked
Quentin to explain process of analyzing chemicals in river or land. Who bears
the cost of testing or remediation.

 

Quentin:     Land
owners irrespective of when contamination occurred.

 

                    WORKSAFE

                    Presented
by Geoff Cooke – Safety Case Officer for Terminals – Major Hazard
Site.

 

George:     WorkSafe
holding a community consultation.

 

Pieter:        Big
promotion WorkSafe Week. Analysis of what is working and what is not.

 

Geoff:         Spoke
of the annual inspection of Terminals Pty Ltd

1.                  
Safety Case

2.                  
Tank Control Measures

3.                  
Questions and indications of implementation

4.                  
Maintenance inspection check sheets

5.                  
Training

 

Will report back to the committee and suggested doing a joint
comparison between Marstel and Terminals.

 

Robin:        Asked
Geoff to negotiate with Marstels and Terminals to get their agreement to       a
joint presentation and asked Geoff to report back to this     committee.

 

Geoff:         No
major issues identified during audit at Terminals Pty Ltd, just a matter of
getting systems together and improving. Will submit presentation in due
course. Presentation should last no longer then ½ hour.

 

ACTION     Geoff
Cooke to present (joint) report on WorkSafe Annual Inspection at future CICCC
meeting (with Marstel Committee members invited to attend if a joint
presentation is agreed by the operators).

 

 

ITEM 5:      CONFIRM
DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING ON 19 MAY 2005

 

                    Draft
minutes accepted with Geoff’s comments. Minutes adopted.

 

ITEM 6:      ACTION
ITEMS FROM MAY MEETING

 

2nd EIP

 

George:     Community
Newsletter not a problem but worried people will throw it away along with all
other advertising material. Adds in local paper to look up website for more information
would be a better option.

 

Robin:        The
text of any newsletter is telling a story. How it gets best communicated is
another part of strategy. Terminals should undertake a commitment to offer
some communication with community.

 

George:     One
thing is that Terminals no longer has any big volume of nasties that could blow
up community.

 

Michael:     Marstel
distributed Newsletter.

 

Deborah:   Put leaflet in
local newspapers for distribution.

 

George:     What
content do we have in mind.

 

Ian:             Felt
it should be committee publication not a Terminals publication.

 

George:     Interesting
with judgment of VCAT on EPA designs they did have consultation with community.

 

Robin:        Does
not worry him one way or another. Felt the need to convey to the community the
past compared to present.

 

Ian:             First
draft should be written by Robin and Carlo in the same way as press releases.

 

George:     Terminals
use Clifton Consulting and does not mind getting them on the case to come up
with a few suggestions.

 

Robin:        Did
not feel Clifton Consulting were the ones to take on the task with respect to
CICCC views.

 

Faye:          Primary
attention in the eastern suburbs to Terminals (Coode Island) were 2 events.
One being the container lock out and two being the Coode Island fire and
suggested a television advertisement.

 

                    Thought
the establishment of a Science Prize in the local school for a child would be
appropriate.

 

George:     Felt
the Science Prize was a good idea.

 

                    Wanted
to know if there was some way we could get the message across that this industry
is vital.

 

Quentin:     Whitehall
Street Committee has a newsletter. Perhaps have an edition which includes this
committee or what happens at Terminals. Piggyback on that publication.
Sharing opportunity which should lessen the cost.

 

Robin:        How
do we get hold of a copy?

 

George:     When
Terminals held an Open Day only a few people attended.

 

                    Focus
on some literature regarding Open Day and advertise. What Terminals was like
in the past and look at it now type of advertising.

 

Robin:        Suggested
another Open Day when plant is finished would be good. Some literature
prepared that can be used in several different ways.

 

Faye:          Explore
a community Science Prize, annual, on going.

 

Robin:        Announce
Community Science winner in leaflet. All in general agreement.

 

Robin:        Produce
a draft and run past committee. Focal point where people could get interested.

 

Michael:     Have
the 2 committees (MCG and CICCC) produce a joint newsletter and have joint open
days.

 

Robin:        It
seems the Committee is moving to a view that there will be a multi pronged
approach initiative in the form of a newsletter that will announce a Student
Prize.

 

George:     Terminals
previously issued a Science Kit. Geoff Millard put together the Science Kit
last time will ask him for his input again.

 

ACTION     Terminals
to prepare a first draft of material for distribution to the community, and
further refinement of the “Science Prize” initiative.

 

 

Better integration of CICCC
and MCG

 

Robin:        Theo
has suggested November 23rd – no objection.

 

                    Sought
and received an invitation to attend Marstel site. Robin attended and reported
that Marstel site is all new and clean. Passed on Andrew Clifton’s query as to
whether Terminals has used the same criteria for bund design as has been used
at the Marstel facility (100% of the largest tank +10% of the second largest
tank + 90 minutes of fire-fighting water + 150mm freeboard. Could we have a
response at our next meeting.

 

George:     Agreed

 

Robin:        If
any other committee members wanted to have a look around the Marstel site Tim
Gunning would be happy to have them tour the site.

 

George:     Robin
to send an email on behalf of committee to thank Tim for his offer.

 

ACTION     Robin
to send an email to Tim Gunning thanking him for the opportunity afforded to
CICCC members to inspect the Marstel facility.

 

 

Transport Routes for Pygas

 

Geoff:         WorkSafe
has discussed the proposed route with the road tanker operator and       can
confirm that the operator will use the Bolte Bridge route.

 

Robin:        Thanked
Geoff for pursing the road tanker operator.

 

 

Confirmation of 2006 Meeting Dates

 

Dates look good

 

 

Carcinogenic Licence

 

ACTION     Terminals will present
details of the Carcinogenic Licence at the December meeting.

 



 

ITEM 7:      OTHER
BUSINESS

 

None

 

 

ITEM 8:      NEXT
SCHEDULED MEETINGS

 

NEXT MEETING:     8th
December, 205 Christmas Catering to be organised

 

                                    Suggested
meeting dates for 2006 – 16th February, 13th April,
15th                                June,
10 August, 12 October, 14th December 2006.

 

 

MEETING CLOSED: 10:00 pm