COODE ISLAND
COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE
COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

Thursday, 12th
October, 2006

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin
Saunders
:

CICCC /
Chairperson

Quentin Cooke:

Env.
Protection Authority / Ex Off Comm

Ian Thomas:

Community
Rep./Committee

Peter La Rose

Operations
Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Deborah
Macfarlane
:

Community
Rep./Committee

George Horman

Managing
Director, Terminals Pty Ltd

Michael
Isaachsen
:

Community
Rep./Committee

Paul Hayward

Engineering
Manager Victoria

Bro Sheffield
Brotherton

Community Rep./Committee

Carlo
Fasolino

State Manager
Victoria

Faye Simpson

Community
Rep./Committee

Sue
Chatterton

Minute Taker

Theo Pykoulas

City of
Maribyrnong

 

 

ITEM 1.     WELCOME
BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION            OF
DRAFT AGENDA

 

Robin         Welcomed
all in attendance.

                    Apologies
Geoff Cooke

 

 

ITEM 2.      CONFIRMATION
OF DRAFT MINUTES MEETING 10 August,             2006

 

Robin:        Draft minutes confirmed.

 

 

ITEM 3:      REPORTS
FROM AGENCIES

 

 

TERMINALS PTY LTD

Presented by Peter La Rose

 

Peter:         Presented
Terminals Pty Ltd Operations Report. Stated it has been a quiet period for
shipping and road tankers.

 

                    EPA
has signed off CUTEP (Clean Up To the Extent Practicable) for East Side.

 

                    Environmental
audit conducted by Frank Fleer, results were very good.

 

Faye:          Ask
where do the trucks weigh in and out?

 

Peter:         Melbourne
Markets at present until decision made regarding weighbridge on site. We have another
option for the weighbridge, PoMC having vetoed our other proposals at publicly
available sites. We may be forced to put the new weighbridge on our site so
therefore it would not be available for public use.

 

Peter:         Training
is on track and very good effort so far this year.

 

                    Incident
regarding product freezing in hose whilst shipping operations underway proved
to be a communication problem. Terminals raising at shipping meetings
stipulating crew must be able to communicate adequately in English. The ships
are fronting their English speaking crew member on first to complete the check
sheets but later in the transfer they change over shifts, with crews that are
unable to speak English. It is getting to the point now where if there is no
English speaking crew member available we will be stopping the transfer.

 

Michael:     Who
bears the cost?

 

Peter:         The
surveyor would then control discharge on behalf of crew.

 

Carlo:         Client
has always got a surveyor who is capable of taking over discharge.

 

Peter:         BASF
incident still under investigation, but all Terminals procedures adhered to.

 

                    Pygas
– 1 export and client are investigating a local market. Currently trials
being undertaken at Huntsman.

 

George:     Terminals
put in a bid to buy a terminal at Mackay but were unsuccessful.

 

Deborah:   How do you bid
in those circumstances?

 

George:     Bidding
is done by tender. Everyone bidding signs a confidentiality agreement, then
look at the information provided and costs it. It is interesting that
Terminals is looking to grow in the future. Mackay is booming due to all
mining activity in area.

 

                    Terminals
Geelong is about to commission Butadiene sphere ready for product due later
this month.

 

 

ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

Presented by Quentin Cooke

 

Quentin:         Coode
Island sewer and progress, construction was meant to be                completed
last month. System now exists and ready. Was                           expecting
that Terminals would be attached at this date.

 

                        Received
proposal from Terminals regarding installing ground                    water
recovery trench at Plant B.

 

                        Involved
in a number of activities at Geelong site with Jim                             Clements,
works approval for Bitumen./ Successful in getting an                amendment
bill thru the state government – 15 aspects to it                          which
gives the authority new powers.

 

                        The
main aims in the environmental field are:-

 

·      Green house effect

·      Global warming

·      New bill allows us to focus on non traditional aspects such as
electricity usage or water usage

·      Aiming to target large energy and water usage

·      Ban on plastic bags

 

Robin:                        Thanked
Quentin for his report.

 

 

CITY OF MARIBYRNONG

Presented by Theo Pykoulas

 

Theo:              Not
much more has been divulged to council by the Port authority on their land
purchases and plans.

 

George:         Old Bentley
Complex site being knocked down on Coode and was committee aware of this
closing down. The land appears to be going to be added into P&O Ports
container park. Terminals have purchased 3 tanks for Geelong. The tanks are
going to be placed on a barge and floated to Geelong.

 

Robin:                        Even
if they are not a Major Hazard facility do they require                            works
approval.

 

Quentin:         EPA
really not interested in Tallow.

 

Ian:                 Wondering
about Bio Diesel

 

George:         Axiom
says it is going well and does not know anything more at                  this
stage.

 

 

ITEM 4:      ACTION
ITEMS

 

Deferred to next meeting.

 

 

ITEM 5:      COMBINED
COODE ISLAND FORUM

 

Robin:                        George
has prepared a draft of points. Larger community                             forum.

 

George:         Put
case why we need it. We should have 3 joint meetings of                      users
attended by community representatives.

 

                        In
order to achieve this we need to have CICCC agree that this                   is
a good idea.

                       

·      3 joint meetings a year

·      Interested groups attend

·      Talk to authorities and port users

 

Asked committee
if that is the direction we would like to go.

 

Robin:                        The
whole land issue which is wider than Terminals. Wanted to                 keeping
going with our own forums. Need a strategy to                                 overcome
problems.

 

 

George:         We
need to provide the community with more information                             relevant
to the use of the port.

 

Bro:                 Worthwhile
thing to do and strongly in favour.

 

Ian:                 Feel
exactly the same. The proposal brilliant.

 

George:         Sell
it on the basis to have the regulators to attend and cover all                  bases
and therefore they would not need to attend individual                       meetings.

 

Theo:              Port
of Melbourne already have Port Community Forum.

 

Robin:                        Yes,
but it is port-wide. This proposal is just for Coode Island                       users.

 

Quentin:         Felt
it would not happen as in the past Port of Melbourne                              Authority
have resisted vehemently.

 

George:         How
do we approach the MCG to gain their support to attend a                   meeting.

 

Robin:            Can
we as a committee unanimously support the proposal.

 

                        General
support was expressed. The next step is for George to approach Marstel and see
if they are I agreement.

 

 

ITEM 6:      NEWLETTER
(DISCUSSION ON DRAFT)

 

 

George:         When
I saw emails back I was annoyed and I apologise for                          return
email.

 

Robin:                        Newsletter
should be one part clearly attributed to Terminals                                   and
2nd part clearly attributed to CICCC.

 

                        How
do we prepare something from what we have already. We                  will
give all information collected so far to Karen at Clifton                             Consulting
and allow her to make it a little shorter. With a few                     changes
what has already been prepared by Karen it would be                   good.

 

Deborah        Household
hints bit at end remove.

 

George:         Karen
will cull items.

 

Deborah:       Felt
the language was overly complicated.

 

George:         Would
it be okay to have Karen ring each member. All agreed.

 

Bro:                 Coherent
logical piece of work needs to be done.

 

Robin:            Concerning
the material from the CICCC, we need one sentence from each individual providing
biographical material, and then some general discussion on the following:

 

·      Why the community felt that CICCC important and worth joining.

·      Issues after fire.

·      Coode Island why community wanted it relocated

·      Long term leases – progressive improvement

·      Comments about what we still want to see

 

Happy to have a
list of topics and put to Karen and see what she thinks.

 

Week to prepare
– Friday 19th October, 2006. Get a package of information
together and give it to Carlo to pass onto Karen Sherlock.

 

 

ITEM 7:      NEW
SECURITY SYSTEM

 

 

Paul:               Then
presented report on intended new security system to be                      installed
at Coode Island.

 

·      Making system electronic – remote

·      More improved

·      Replaces manpowered security guard

·      Video cameras around perimeter of 2 sites

·      Microphonic wires around perimeter

·      Video feed to contract security company

·      Duty Managers can access same vision via internet

·      All alarms will go thru to security company

·      Will be given protocol to follow

·      Out of hours coverage

·      Nitrogen deliveries – key pad

·      Mobile patrols – twice

 

Peter:             Melbourne
Port also has their own security on river and road.

 

Ian:                 I
think it is an excellent proposal.

 

Paul:               Planned
to have commissioned by Christmas.

 

Faye:              If
one camera goes down does if affect the others?

 

Paul:               All
camera’s individually cabled.

 

Robin:                        Thanked
Paul for his report.

 

 

ITEM 8:      OTHER
BUSINESS

 

National Industrial Chemicals
Notification & Assessment Scheme – Community engagement forum.

 

Faye:              Could
not get along to meeting itself but received                                            documentation.
Group chemicals into 3 lots.

 

Bro:                 Will
give an update next year at the February meeting.

 

 

OESC website design

 

Robin:                        OESC
website design – drew to committee members attention.

 

 

Waste Proposal

 

Peter:             Over
the border disposal in NSW.

 

Paul:               Terminals
were thinking of waste disposal via the combustor.

 

Bro:                 Controversial
– likely to turn combustor into hazardous waste                      incinerator.

 

Paul:               Can’t
see why it wouldn’t work. Going to run a trial with water                      first
then waste water. At the moment a lot of energy going to                       waste.
Combustor at present being underutilized. If it works out                 will
put a proposal to the EPA.

 

Peter:             With
the big price increase for waste disposal other options have                to
be looked at.

 

Quentin:         Waste
disposal is going to be even more expensive in the                            future.

 

Ian:                 Providing
trial is properly controlled cannot see a problem with                   proposal.

 

Quentin:         Combusted
waste generated on site in BASGAS in Port                                Campbell
already being used.

 

George:         In
previous minutes stated that combustor would not be used as                 an
incinerator and acknowledges at time was spoken with                            sincerity.

 

 

Drainage Upgrade

 

Paul:               Eliminated
all underground drains. Bunds graded to allow for                     drainage
into sediment traps in pit.

 

George:         Once sewer
is connected first flush then skim and pump to sewer.

 

Robin:            Looking
at a site inspection February 22nd, 2007 5:00 pm meet at site.

 

George:         Planning
an Open Day in March 2007.

 

 

NEXT
SCHEDULED MEETING:   14 December, 2006

Meeting
dates for 2007 – 22 February, 17 May, 19 July, 20 September, 22
November.

MEETING CLOSED: 9:00 PM