COODE
ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE
COMMITTEE

 

Adopted
Minutes

Thursday,
12th June, 2008

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Quentin Cooke:

Environment. Protection
Authority

Ian Thomas:

Community Rep./Committee

Peter La Rose

Terminals Pty Ltd

Deborah Macfarlane:

Community Rep./Committee

Carlo Fasolino

State Manager Victoria,
Terminals Pty Ltd

Michael Isaachsen:

Community Rep./Committee

George Horman

Managing Director,
Terminals Pty Ltd

Bro Sheffield-Brotherton
Combined Enviro. Groups /
Committee

Jenny Bygrave

Community Relations
Manager

Port of Melbourne
Corporation

Theo Pykoulas

City of Maribyrnong

Amber Dixon

Team Leader, Contaminated
Land Program

Port of Melbourne
Corporation

Susan Chatterton

Minute Taker

 

 

 

ITEM 1.      WELCOME
BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT           AGENDA

 

Robin         First
of all it is my pleasure to welcome Jenny Bygrave and Amber Dixon from         the
Port of Melbourne who kindly accepted our invitation to come along and tell us
a little about your contaminated land program and also to tell us a little bit      about
the Port of Melbourne Corporation.

 

                    Apologies
Faye Simpson

 

                    Confirmation
of draft agenda – adopted

 

 

ITEM 2.       HEAVY
METAL CONTAMINATION – PoMC REPRESENTATIVES            PRESENTATION

 

Amber
began the presentation of the Contaminated Land Program – Coode Island
Groundwater Overview.

 

Robin         Before
you begin would you be able to send me an electronic copy of the presentation.
This is a public open meeting and it is our normal practice that people who
make presentations provide us with a copy.

 

Jenny         Will
check with our organization and get back to you.



 

 

Amber        Hopefully
you get enough out of the presentation so we can answer your questions.

 

Overview

 

Contaminated Land In Port – Background

(bold
print denotes transcribed text of overheads)

 

            
Port area used to be a swamp

            
Filled to make useable land

            
Occupied by multiple industrial processes

            
Modified for ongoing use

            
Regional groundwater strategy implementation
commenced in 2005

            
Strategy for prevention and management of contaminated
land commenced in 2006

 

Amber        We
are now starting to go from understanding what is going on at the site to
management of the situation. One way of managing the situation is through the
Ground Water Assessment Program. The tenants know more about their sites that
PoMC who in turn provide valuable information to the PoMC.

 

Ground Water Strategy

 

Elements include:-

 

            
Identification and delineation of
groundwater

            
Routine Monitoring of “compliance” sites
– conducted quarterly (every 3 months)

            
Routine monitoring of “issue” sites
typically conducted “biannually” (semi annually)

            
Routine port wide every 2 years.

 

Amber
then displayed a map highlighting the wells that are tested. Concentration of
wells on the boundary of Pacific Terminals and Terminal Pty Ltd and especially
on the No. 1 Maribyrnong berth. There are 180 wells in the regional program
and approx 500 all up around various sites.

 

Results to Date

 

            
The first port wide monitoring event June
2006

            
Second port wide groundwater is currently
underway (June 2008)

            
Samples are analyzed for a broad screen of
analytes including metals.

 

Amber        Testing
is for various chemicals probably in the range of 90 altogether.

 

Robin         You
don’t include live things do you?

 

Amber        No
just for contaminants.

 

Jenny         How
long does it take to process the data?



 

Amber        The
testing takes a number of weeks to collect then we have lab time. Naturally
occurring chemicals are also prevalent therefore we need to analyze whether the
chemicals found are naturally occurring or caused by other factors.

 

Deborah    How
far do you monitor? What are your boundaries?

 

Jenny         From
Shepherds Bridge on the Maribyrnong (Footscray Road) to the Bolte Bridge on the
Yarra. On the PoMC website there are maps showing an outline of the whole port
area. I will send Robin the link so people can visit the website themselves.

 

Deborah    Do
you have a risk management person for Climate Change?

 

Jenny         There
is a team of risk management personnel.

 

Theo           You
might like to contact the Department of Sustainability they do a bit of mapping
as well.

 

Results to date:

 

Metals analyzed in port wide
events include:-

            
Arsenic

            
Beryllium

            
Cadmium*

            
Chromium

            
Cobalt

            
Copper

            
Lead*

            
Manganese

            
Mercury*

            
Molybdenum

            
Nickel

            
Selenium

            
zinc

*denotes findings less than the
reporting limits

 

Amber        Some
areas have naturally occurring high levels of arsenic. Cobalt and zinc have
been regionally elevated typically across Coode Island. All location dependant,
typically are not what we consider elevated fluctuations.

 

Robin         What
is the distinction between a ‘detection
limit’
and a ‘reporting limit’?
Suppose you had a detection of Mercury of 1 part per million would you report
that?

 

Amber        If
the lab had faith in their instrumentation then yes.

 

George      I
think the laboratory is certainly accurate when detecting the reporting limits.

 

Deborah    Arsenic
is high on Coode Island isn’t it?

 

Amber        No
not typically.



 

Results to date – started
2005

 

            
2008 will be compared with 2006 results to
assess whether any significant regional changes in groundwater quality have
occurred.

            
Where applicable, area of significant change
will be followed up by a targeted groundwater assessment and/or delineation
program.

 

Ian              Are
you reporting to the EPA as anything that goes to EPA is public?

 

Bro              I
have never seen monitoring results without figures.

 

Jenny         We
came here to describe the process but not to divulge the figures as the             monitoring
progress is still in early stages. We came here tonight with a clear   outline
to give an overview.

 

Robin         Another
way of looking at this is how we would respond if Terminals were doing this
presentation. We would be appalled. We would say to Terminals “if you have
data you need to make a decision as to whether you are going to release it to
the committee or treat it as commercial in confidence. Terminals does provide monitoring
information and I think it is from that perspective we are coming. I am not
trying to put you on the spot tonight but wish you to understand where we are
coming from.

 

Jenny         That
is fair enough and we are now aware of the level of information that you want
and at least we have a community contact now and we can now give that
information.

 

PoMC community Relations Team

 

            
A contact point for residents, local
businesses

            
PoMC website community page www.portofmelbourne.com, works
notices, local sponsorship

            
PoMC Community Contact 1300 857 662 Option 4

            
PoMC Community email community@portomelbourne.com

 

George      Would
be happy to see comparison between 2006 and 2008. Saw an email between Carlo
and Geoff Millard where PoMC are to attend Terminals site to perform tests.

 

Amber        That
is correct we will be looking at the wells outside the boundary between that of
Terminals and Pacific Terminals.

 

Robin         Could
I just ask if it would be possible to have a list of your analytes?

 

Amber        Certainly;
do not have a problem with that.

 

Robin         Hope
that you would sort out with your organisation, when you attend a meeting like
this and make a presentation that you can leave it with us Think of this as a
public forum.

 

Ian              Could
we ask if this could be the first of many meetings you attend?



 

Jenny         PoMC
really do not feel it appropriate to jump all over operator run community
meetings. We are happy to provide some information.

 

Amber        Jenny
is the point of contact for the community.

 

Jenny         PoMC
has only been a corporation for 5 years. The corporation is what manages the
land and the port. Any specific questions can be directed to myself.

 

ACTION ITEMS

 

  1. PoMC to send results of 2006
    – 2008 comparison with numbers, when available.
  2. PoMC to provide a list of
    analytes.
  3. PoMC to provide an Electronic
    copy of presentation.

 

Carlo          Provided
a spreadsheet on the heavy metals with the general trend showing a drop in
levels. We are seeking approval from the EPA to reduce our measurements.
Terminals have submitted an annual report and are awaiting a formal response
from the EPA.

 

Robin         Could
you email data to me please

 

Carlo          Yes

 

Bro              Chromium
has gone up

 

Carlo          The
one that jumped out at me was Mercury, the data goes back to 2005.

 

George      The
argument that we are putting is that things haven’t changed much over the
years.

 

Bro              We
should get those figures to see what the trends are. Given that contamination
is historical you wouldn’t expect to see changes.

 

Quentin      Interesting
to see the port doing most monitoring around the river interface. They are looking
at what sort of environmental impact that would be having on that interface.
Terminals is not changing the metal impact.

 

Amber        Nothing
in the results presented by Carlo that indicate PoMC should go looking for the
source.

 

George      Issue
for doing testing is to manage contamination on site. Very small quantity
removed during remediation on East side. PoMC is responsible for pre existing
contamination. All the same fill all throughout area and never going to be
cleaned up. The levels are low and Terminals transmission of heavy metals to
the marine environment very low.

 

Bro              Conclusion
jumping. When we get the data we can then have a formal discussion regarding
this matter at the next meeting.



 

ACTION ITEMS

 

  1. Carlo to provide plan
    showing location of wells
  2. Carlo to send heavy metal
    table to Robin via email
  3. Agenda item for next meeting
    to discuss data

 

Robin         Recent
readings for Mercury, why where they higher than other readings?

 

 

ACTION ITEM

Carlo to provide information as to why recent readings are higher than
previous.

 

Ian              Terminals
results blue numbers are above. Would like to know whatever criteria we are
looking at?

 

Robin         Marine
eco system criteria.

 

George      As
far as the Terminals site is concerned there are some protocols looking at
contamination.

 

Robin         What
do the %’s mean?

 

Amber        95%
or 99% is a confidence limit. Conservative risk ranking relating to criteria
eco system based.

 

Robin         Confidence
limit is the level set which if you meet it you have 99% confidence level. The
reason for highlighting on the spreadsheet is to draw your attention to the
results that are of more of a concern.

 

Amber        ANZECC
(freshwater) criteria is a lot more conservative than saltwater marine
criteria.

 

Robin         In
terms of EPA’s assessment can the EPA give some sort of gauge as to how the EPA
would approach this task?

 

Quentin      An
audit was conducted on the contamination of the river with a conclusion that
small amounts were getting into the river. Collection of this data indicated
that Coode Island is not generating further contamination. Key area is river
interface and should still keep monitoring.

 

Amber        We
are not concerned with presenting data but concerned about information being
put on CICCC website.

 

Robin         We
do not put any information on website that the author does not want put on
website. This is not a committee run by Terminals it is the community representatives
that ultimately form the committee. Representatives ask if the information
that is received from Terminals is going to present a problem.

 

Jenny         Where
does information go from here?

 

Michael      May
not go anywhere



 

Robin         Committee
will question until they get a satisfactory answer.

 

Bro              Committee
and Terminals have been on a long journey, 11 years. Only good has come from such
an open relationship. Interchange is very valuable.

 

Robin         Thanked
PoMC for attending the meeting.

 

 

ITEM 3.       CONFIRM
DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING ON 10 APRIL 2008 AND         REVIEW
ACTION ITEM LIST

 

Ian              Under
Joan’s name could it be written “on behalf of” or “proxy for” myself please.

 

Robin         Agreed

 

ACTION ITEM LIST

 

Item 09/07 – 2          Tim
to report on investigation of the Ethyl Acrylate spill at D.P. World —
item to remain open until report can be made.

 

All
other items completed.

 

 

ITEM 4.       REPORTS
FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS

 

 

TERMINALS REPORT

 

Peter          April
was a quiet month but certainly made up for it in May. Trending down this time
of year due to end of financial year.

 

                    Site
visits – Quarterly Customer meeting with Orica and Carcinogenic audit by
WorkSafe.

 

                    Training
– competency assessments are now being renewed as 5 year interval now
due.

 

                    Incidents
– 4 for the month.

 

1.                  
Leak of material
from Tank 373 – truck fill hose – Butyl Acrylate

2.                  
Yearly foam
concentrate test of Plant C failed

3.                  
Compartment
on truck overfilled – Propyl Acetate

4.                  
Apprentice
contractor had nail embedded in leg from nail gun

 

                    Environmental
monitoring – Green house emission level against thru put.

 

George      Terminals’
contract operators go into our Lost Time Injuries, but construction contract
workers don’t.

 

Robin         Clarified
that Butyl Acrylate is odorous, but nowhere near as much as Ethyl Acrylate.



 

Quentin      You
seem to have a problem with your rubbers, you have two items where rubbers
failed. Did you do any follow up on all the other dry break couplings?

 

Peter          No
as very expensive, the rubber had perished.

 

Quentin      Therefore
making it breakdown maintenance and not preventative maintenance

 

Peter          That’s
right. This is the first incidence with these couplings.

 

George      Everything
of the same type should have a visual inspection. Certainly on the fire system
as all are under the same conditions.

 

Peter          Will
undertake checks of couplings in the near future.

 

Robin         Asked
Peter to report next meeting with respect to similar valves. Also can we have
a date against incidents?

 

Peter          Yes

 

ACTION ITEM

                    Peter
to report next meeting on inspection of valves with rubber couplings, similar
to the one that failed.

 

Ian              Next
meeting can you bring along a list of odour thresholds.

 

ACTION ITEM

                    Carlo to provide odour thresholds for
acrylates.

 

Robin         Thank
you Peter

 

 

CITY OF MARYIBYRNONG

 

Theo           Received
3 objections to caretaker’s cottages – Moreland Street – converted
warehouse.

 

                    The
people in residence there were told to vacate or apply for a permit for
residential purposes. The people have taken the matter to VCAT – hearing
29th May, 2008. Then the Minister of Planning intervened –
submission was against the application. VCAT was then rescheduled to 11-12th
September, 2008.

 

ACTION ITEM

                    Theo
to forward to Robin an electronic copy of the Minister’s submission to VCAT on
the Moreland Street caretakers cottages, and any updates.

 

Theo           Caretakers
are permitted within some parameters.

 

Jenny         PoMC
in the long term is always going to be an operating port. Always going to need
that buffer zone between the port and residences.

 

George      The
task force in 1998 conveniently left out the buffer zone.



 

Theo           Council
is relaunching Community Awareness brochure, with a summary in twelve community
languages. Hoping to make people aware of issues living close to industry and
where to go for help. Council is to be the main point of contact and the ABC
radio station.

 

                    In
light of the Community Information Warning system we are inviting community on
an “opt in” basis for those wishing to be a part of the system. 12,000 people
can “opt in”.

 

                    Sending
out a consent form and covering letting inviting people to participate and will
be working with police with regard to wording of warning advice given. The
warning will be a pre recorded message.

 

Robin         This
is a significant step that council is committed to. Have you set an area?

 

Theo           Yes,
a 2 km radius of the precincts in Coode Island, Yarraville, West Footscray and Tottenham.

 

Robin         Suggested
that the committee write to City of Maribyrnong and congratulate the City on its
initiative.

 

All                Agreed

 

ACTION ITEM

                    Robin
to write to council and congratulate the Council on its initiative.

 

Deborah    What
about an email list?

 

Theo           Unless
you are on your computer at the time you would not receive notification.

 

Michael     
Would imagine message for people up wind and down wind would be different?

 

Theo           Advice
is to be used as a trigger to notify people of incident.

 

Robin         Community
Notice and fridge magnet could you put aside some to present to this committee.

 

Theo           Will
try. Interested to see how many responses from the 12,000 we receive. Will be
a test to see how many people wish to participate.

 

Robin         Theo
to report at the next meeting – put as an Agenda Item.

 



 

ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
AUTHORITY

 

Quentin      Given
the lateness of the hour would like to go onto Item 5.

 

I

ITEM 5.       REVIEW
OF THE EPA LICENCE

 

Quentin      I
was not comfortable with the current license as Terminals no longer store
products previously stored. Therefore currently reviewing license parameters.

 

                    Will
finalise license amendments in the near future.

 

Robin         Is
there any other thing to report from the EPA

 

Quentin      No

 

 

 

ITEM 6.       OTHER
BUSINESS

 

 

George      Terminals
commissioned new Bitumen facility at Geelong.

 

                    At
Melbourne we have had three tank moves over the past two weekends.

 

Ian              Would
like us to formerly thank the PoMC representatives for attending the meeting.

 

 

NEXT SCHEDULED MEETINGS:

 

Meeting dates for 2008 – 7
August, 2008 (focus on Telephone Emergency Alerting System); 6th
November, 2008.

 

 

MEETING CLOSED 9:10 PM