COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

Draft Minutes

Thursday 12 February 2004

PRESENT

 

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Carlo Fasolino:

State Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Ian Thomas:

Community Rep. / CICCC Committee

Peter LaRose

Operations Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Deborah Macfarlane:

Community Rep./Committee

Jody West

Minute Taker

Faye Simpson

Community Member

Quentin Cooke:

Env. Protection Authority / Ex Off Comm

Michael Isaachsen:

Community Rep./Committee

Bronwyn BrookmanSmith:

MH Div / WorkSafe/Ex Off Com.

Colleen Hartland:

Councillor City of Maribyrnong

Margaret Donnan:

Manager, Regulatory Affairs – PACIA

Theo Pykoulas

Manager, Emergency Mgmt, City of Marb’

Chris Watt

Melbourne Fire Brigade, Assistant Chief Fire Officer

George Horman:

Managing Director, Terminals Pty Ltd

Rob Sheers

Director/Worksafe

 

Jean King

Observer

 ITEM 1. WELCOME BY THE CHAIR

Robin Welcomed everyone with special mention Jean King, Peter LaRose, Theo Pykoulos, Chris Watt & Guest Speaker Rob Sheers from Worksafe.

ITEM 2. APOLOGIES

Peter Brotherton, John Glavich, Andrew Clifton

ITEM 3. CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT AGENDA

Adopted

ITEM 4. PRESENTATION – ROB SHEERS FROM WORKSAFE

Inclusion: Hazard Management Organisational Chart

Mr Sheers is the Director of the Hazard Management Division

Presented: – Overview of Worksafe & it’s accountability

– Suggestions from other

The divison makes Licence decisions purely based on the protection of the site from major incident. There are no considerations made on the economic impact of the company if a licence was not to be granted.

The Safety Case Regime is to ensure that the Site can demonstrate Adequacy & Practicality. In cases where there may be some reservations about the sustainability at a site (due perhaps to its recent construction and lack of a track record) the site may be licensed for a shorter term or have conditions imposed.

Worksafe is accountable to a board, that is structured and running as a separate unit.

Rob talked about the re-integrations of the MH Unit into the larger Worksafe Hazard Management Division.

A Post Licence Regime is being introduced to improve Licensing. Permissioning is now handled under the one division allowing the system to be more fair, transparent & consistent and to ensure the knowledge from the MHF division is available to the wider WC body. He also said the CICCC had been an important factor in keeping VWA accountable.

 

Ian: Q: Accountability & Transparency to Whom?

Rob

Answer: To the board. The Public is too large to advise and the information could be misconstrued.

George: Q: Pacia Open Day – what is Worksafe’s view for opening the Terminal facilities to the public?

Rob

Answer: To ensure it is safe for visitors & the facility & focus on security, Terminals would need to do a Risk Assessment.

Colleen: Q: What about the Communities Right to Know, there seems to always be an excuse?

George: In support of Colleen pointed out there has been a Safety Case in the Library available at all times for perusal, but this had been removed and is now only available on request to those whom we know well.

Rob

Answer: The operator has to exercise his best judgment.

Ian: Q: Burns Philp said that they would use Worlds Best Practice. The New Company St Services say that their policy it to comply. These seem to be two very different statements?

Rob

Answer: Worlds Best Practice is an overused term and a big undertaking to give. The Authority has a criteria & as long as they are compliant then this is considered satisfactory.

Michael: Q: What can Port Kembla’s result show the community?

Rob

Answer: This is worth pursuing, both for the CICCC and for WorkSafe.

ACTION: WorkSafe to endeavour to obtain a copy of the public incident report from Port Kembla in NSW , and to make it available to the CICCC

ITEM 5: BRIEF REPORT FROM AGENCIES & TERMINALS ON KEY ISSUES

 

ITEM 5A: TERMINALS PTY LTD

Attachments: Terminals Operations Report

 

Carlo: Presentation made – Please refer attachment

ACTION: CICCC have been invited to attend a walk around of the Coode Island site on 1ST April 2004 at 4.30PM, immediately before the next meeting.

ITEM 5B: WORKSAFE

Bronwyn: Nothing to Report

ITEM 5C: ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

Quentin: Plant C not requiring a Works Approval, level of omissions from the tanks are insignificant.

ACTION: WORKS APPROVAL CRITERIA TO BE SUPPLIED BY EPA FOR NEXT MEETING & REPORT ON WHAT IS GOING INTO THE TANKS.

ITEM 5D: MELBOURNE FIRE BRIGADE

Chris: New Legislation is being made to combine the Ports & the Channel Authorities. A consequence is that the definition of the Port now extends to the Channels and outer berths. CFA/MFB do not have the capacity to cope with a ship fire in the bay. This is work in progress.

ITEM 5E: CITY OF MARIBYRNONG

Theo: Mailout & Website has been very successful for the Alert System and a Message Relay facility is being introduced.

Noted: The Council appreciates Stereo 974 (97.4FM) Radio station support for the Alert System.

ITEM 6: CONFIRMATION OF MINUTES

Bronwyn: Amendment to be made to the wording of the report on the Improvement Notice from WorkSafe re truck filling.

Robin: Agreed that the amendment will be made & Minutes Adopted.

ITEM 7: CORRESPONDENCE IN/OUT

Robin: Tabled a letter received from Minister of Local Government regarding Coode Island & Boundary Review Request from the City of Maribyrnong

ITEM 8: ACTION ITEMS FROM PREVIOUS MEETINGS

EPA REPORT

Attachments: P&O Ports incident Venting Container &

Accredited Licensee Guidelines for Applicants

Quentin: (Refer Attachment P&O Ports Incident Venting Container)

In general EPA looks at incidents and has a top 10 List that they monitor.

ACTION: EPA to provide top 10 sites listfor incidents

Quentin: (Refer Attachment Accredited Licensee Guidelines for Applicants) All Committee Members to read. As the Terminals application for Accredited Licensing is not yet finalised, it is premature to give a detailed report on how Terminals were assessed. A report will be provided by email before the next meeting, and discussed at the meeting.

ACTION: Report by EPA to be emailed for accredited licensee & discussed next meeting.

ITEM 9: OTHER BUSINESS

Robin: Website not a healthy situation, provider is not updating the site on request.

ACTION: George Horman to look into and re-establish.

Robin: Update of EIP Improvement Action Report requested from Terminals.

ACTION: Carlo Fasolino to supply update of report.

George: Re-outlined the cost of the CICCC in relation to budget (ref attachments) and suggested that with Robin’s reduced hours, if the sitting fees stayed the same, we could fit 4-5 meetings per year.

ACTION: Sitting fees to stay as is. Robin to discuss with George his invoice & its submission.

AGREED: There will be 5 meetings per year.

ACTION: A schedule to be established by Robin for the meetings

Ian: Ian advised that there will be a Risk 2004 Conference in Melbourne from 7 to 10 November 2004, to be held at the Crown Promenade

Meeting Closed 9.00pm