10th September, 2009





Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Quentin Cooke:

Environment Protection

Bro Sheffield-Brotherton
Environmental Group Representative/Committee

Theo Pykoulas

City of Maribyrnong

Michael Isaachsen:

Community Rep./Committee Member

Peter La Rose

Operations Manager,
Terminals Pty Ltd

Ian Thomas:

Community Rep./Committee

Paul Hayward

Engineering Manager

Deborah MacFarlane

Community Rep./Committee Member

Susan Chatterton

Minute Taker







Robin Welcome
to you all.


Apologies: George
Horman, and Carlo Fasolino, Faye Simpson.


of draft agenda – adopted





Robin Draft
Minutes of the 18th June, 2009 adopted without change.


Action Items



09/07-2 Waiting
for further advice from Quentin Cooke when the matter is resolved.


06/08-1 Still
outstanding – to be removed from Action List


06/09-1            Completed


06/09-2            Copy
of Severity Rating guidelines to be emailed to Robin


Robin    Advised
the meeting that he had spoken with Quentin during the day, and Quentin was hoping
to make the meeting (note Quentin arrived some minutes after this item).
Mentioned that the TGCCC had requested Robin to write to Cheryl Batagol
congratulating her on her appointment as Chairman of EPA, and to Marc to invite
him to attend the TGCCC meeting on 9 November 2009.


Bro            Would
be a good idea for this committee to write and congratulate her.


ACTION            Robin
to write a letter of congratulations on behalf of the committee on             Cheryl’s
appointment. (See later amplification)





Robin            This
is just as I understand it a refreshment of the EPA licence at Coode Island.             Any
advice on how that is going?


Peter It
has been submitted and the new licence has been agreed and just waiting on the
final approval.


Robin When
the licence comes through can you send me a copy? We will then circulate to
the members and put on the website.


Action: Peter to send Robin a
copy of the EPA licence once it has been approved for circulation and uploading
onto the CICCC website.








Theo    There
are a couple of contentious planning applications as far as the council is
concerned. An application for 66 residential apartments at Lot 1, 200 Stephen
Street in Yarraville, within close proximity of Mobil Yarraville terminal, has
been lodged. Council is asking for additional details from the applicant. At
the moment I do not think the council will be supporting the application in its
current form.


proposed is a development at 131-133 Hyde Street for apartments with balconies
consisting of 3 to 7 levels. This particular application has received 37
objections to date. The developer is taking the matter to VCAT on the 14/9/09.
Currently proposed as a commercial type application but leaning more towards
residential as the dwellings have balconies.


Robin    Thank
you Theo. Are you aware of the constantly unfolding saga on bushfires and the
need for emergency communication discussed in the media?


Theo    I
have been involved with that as well. There is a lot of work being done and a
lot of expectations being put back on council with the onset of summer and
bushfire season. There have been 25 municipalities nominated to prepare
townships for the coming bushfire season, things like relief centers in case we
need to evacuate people. The Municipal Association of Victoria has raised its
concerns with the CFA as there is still a lot of fuel out there and it is still
a work in progress.


have actually run a relief centre at King Lake for about 10 days after the
fires. It was a busy and intensive time. I was requested by the Municipal
Association of Victoria to help Christine Nixon and set up a relief centre at
King Lake central, where we handled a lot of local government issues. I was
the local government liaison working with the army and assisted the
coordination of putting power back to the area and coordinating the outpouring
of goodwill and assistancel. Within 10 days we were overseeing volunteer
workers such as plumbers, electricians, builders etc. The Office of Community
Services Commission has been working on a National Emergency Warning System,
making headway but I have still not heard anything definitive.


Robin    Most
interesting Theo, well done. Once they have Emergency Communication protocols
rolled out to cope with bushfires then it could be extended to other instances.





Peter We had a slow
month in August.


Site visits and
other interests:-

·      We had a visit by the new EPA
client Manager Marc Cassanet

·      Submitted 5 yearly licence
renewal to EPA

·      Commissioned the Tallow export

·      Installed new hot water heater to
replace steam boiler

·      BASF conducted 5 yearly site
audit – no issues

·      Orica conducted audit of
bulki-box filling – no issues

·      DOW conducted 3 yearly site audit
-no issues.

·      WorkSafe conducted annual carcinogen
audit – no issues.

·      Quarterly customer meeting with
Mobil, again no issues were raised.


the incidents on the operations report with explanation from Paul Hayward on
the technical issues.


Robin Were
there any spills in any of the incidents?


Peter No


Peter    At
the end of September Terminals will be taking part in an Emergency Exercise
– 30/9/09 at 9:00 am. The scenario is a bund fire in the centre of Terminals
with a ship along side the berth at the same time. You are all more than
welcome to come down and watch, and inspect progress with Plant c at the same


Action: Peter to send information
about the Emergency Exercise on 30/9/09 to Robin, who will circulate it to


Paul    We
are actually going to test the fittings for each participant’s foam tanks and make
sure they all fit and use a smoke machine to simulate a fire. We have to make
it realistic.


Peter    The
event is being advertised. All the authorities are involved: the fire brigade,
ambulance, police, port authority etc are all to be involved and are to put information
about the exercise on all their Websites.


is the biggest exercise Terminals has been part of.


Robin    With
regard to Terminals website which I had occasion to look at, it looks very good.
I might add, however, two things were of interest. Firstly, under media
releases there is an absolute blank not a thing, and under technical reports
there is nothing. Secondly, there is a cross reference to both of the TGCCC
and CICCC websites. I have pointed out to Carlo and George that anyone reading
that could think they were Terminals websites and it would be in Terminals
interest to make sure there is reference on the website that they are not
Terminals websites.


Peter    I
will have Carlo notify everyone of when would be the best time for CICCC
members to attend in order to watch proceedings at the exercise.


Robin    Thank
you Peter





Quentin    A
new Chairman has been appointed and has taken up the appointment this week,
namely Cheryl Batagol.


is going to concentrate her efforts on EPA, relinquishing her many other roles.
Cheryl comes to the EPA very well networked which will be a bonus. Cheryl has
been very active in the environmental part of industry for many years. The EPA
structure has changed a little since her appointment, with the Chairman and
CEO’s roles separated.


Robin    Who
is the CEO?


Quentin    The
CEO is Terry A’Hearn, who is also Deputy chair for the next 6 months.


role of client managers has not changed, just taking on a more modern model.


Robin    Who
heads up your unit?


Quentin    Tony
Robinson heads up my unit.


in CICCC and other similar activities has come into review.


checking the allocation of resources. With accredited licences it is a little
different to standard licences. The EPA are trying to shift responsibility
away from the authority and in favour of the client taking on the


Robin    While
the review of resources may be good for the authority, from the perspective of
CICCC you have attended CICCC meetings so regularly that we have become
accustomed to having the EPA representation at the meeting. This interaction
has been very constructive, and many matters that come up at the meetings
related to the EPA, on which you have been able to provide advice.


attendance and representation of EPA has been an important contribution to
those committees that you personally have shown a genuine commitment to the
CICCC. This is something that has been very constructive for the committees,
for Terminals and also for the community’s relationship with the EPA.


Quentin    Thank
you. I have found this particular activity a useful form of resource
allocation point of view. The meetings have enabled me to meet with other
agencies at the same time within a couple of hours which helps build a good
relationship with the client. A visit to the site would otherwise be the
extent of the relationship. These meetings enable a broader view of the
client, and it has been a good use of time over the last years. The facts are now
that the structure is different and it is no longer part of my role.


Robin    The
point I was hoping you would pass on to the client managers is the potential
value to them as has been to yourself in the past.


Quentin    They
will form their own view and where it fits in with their job.


Ian    For
our group it is important for us to have a way of looking into the EPA at a
senior level. I would like us to consider putting in a submission to that


Bro    Observation
– do not see any change at the consultative level.


Robin    What
is going to give the EPA confidence that these companies will do the right


Quentin    We
have a dedicated team working on enforcement, and compliance and licencing
approvals. We are moving to a system where the licences are more transparent.
What is in the licence and what are the conditions will be made available on an
EPA website where people can view any licence they wish to see.


Bro    Our
role as a committee is that we should be seeking from the EPA clarification of
where this committee sits in the scheme of things.


Quentin    What
I am trying to communicate is the EPA is entering into licence reform. What
form it takes over the next year or so is still being developed, and trying to
make it better to achieve certain desirable outcomes. Licensing is not going
to be the same even Works Approvals are going to be updated and all the
services that EPA currently provide are all subject to reform and update as
part of this change process we are undergoing at the moment. It is more about
efficiency and performance and outcomes.


Michael    Will
these changes result in an improved environment?


Quentin    The
EPA will have to be mindful of getting it right.


Robin    I
presume it is not that any standards are going to be relinquished, more a
matter of putting the onus on the company rather than the regulator.


Deborah    It
does concerns me that the industry has to self monitor.


Quentin    More
a reappraisal and a different concept on how things are to be done in the
future. There will still be a strong compliance check function regarding
auditing. People are working on the design of the licencing. This division is
called the Service Knowledge Unit.


Action    Quentin is to let
Robin know who heads the unit. Robin to write and ask that the committee be
involved in consultation on the licence reform process.


Bro    The
committee needs to write to Cheryl alluding on her vision on where the EPA is


Action    Robin’s letter to
Cheryl should also say the committee has appreciated Quentin’s attendance and
that he has talked about the emerging trends of the EPA.



ITEM 5            Combustor
Low Fire at Night & Preheating Liquid Injection to                        
& 6            combustors


Paul    At
the last meeting we presented the Green House Gas Savings. We save 45 kw of
energy as opposed to sending off site.


Robin    Has
the EPA agreed to the Combustor low fire at night changes and has the EPA agree
to the proposal to preheat liquid injection?


Quentin    Discussion
last time indicated that it is feasible to pre heat the extra product wanting
to be burnt as it would make the green house gas emission lower.


Paul    Money
has been approved now we just have to go ahead and do it.


Pete    We
have to increase the temperature to improve the flash.


Quentin    Terminals
need to document what they are doing and when.


Action    Paul to send
documentation to Quentin on the Combustor Low Fire at Night, and the Preheating
Liquid injection to the Combustor and copy to Robin



ITEM 7            Other


Robin    I
have been requested by Terminals management to put to the CICCC the matter
about altering the hours of the meetings. The TGCCC have altered their hours
to 3:30pm for a 4pm start and Terminals would like to suggest that CICCC do




Bro No
not suitable


Robin Then
the starting time of the meetings stays as is.





Meeting dates for 2009 – 10
December, 2009

meetings for 2010 – 11 March,
13 May, 19 August, 18 November, 2010