COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

 

Tuesday, 10th
February 2015

Held at Terminals Pty
Ltd Coode Island Site Office

3:00pm

 

PRESENT

 

Robin
Saunders
:

CICCC /
Chairperson

Jodie
Georgiou

Manager,
Major Hazards Program, Worksafe

Bro
Sheffield-Brotherton

Community
Rep./Committee

Gary
O’Sullivan

Operations
Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Faye Simpson

Community
Rep./Committee

Don McKenzie

Operations
Manager (Geelong), Terminals Pty Ltd

Joan Thomas

Community
Rep.

Susan
Chatterton

Minute Taker,
Terminals Pty Ltd

Ian Thomas

Community
Rep./Committee

 

Deborah
McFarlane

Community
Rep./Committee

 

 

 

 ITEM 1.      WELCOME BY THE CHAIR,
APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT           AGENDA

 

Robin

Welcome

 

Apologies
– Michael Isaacson; Stephen Lewis. Ian Thomas advised he would be late
due to another business meeting, and Joan Thomas represented him until his
arrival

 

Draft Agenda –
confirmed

 

ITEM 2.       BRIEF PRESENTATION BY
JODIE GEORGIOU, MANAGER OF MAJOR HAZARDS, WORKSAFE

 

Jodie

Distributed
“Major Hazards Program Update”

 

The Health
and Safety Operational areas were restructured in mid-2014.  Workforce
reduction will impact on licensing at Major Hazard facilities.

Faye

Has there
been any reduction in staff within the Hygiene Unit?

Jodie

No; only that
they have merged with Dangerous Goods unit.  Still Hygiene Unit but
report to the one manager.

 

We now sit
under the Head Of Operations and Hazardous Industries.

 

Realignment
of groups – Projects and specialist teams and reorganized field
operations teams.  We did lose 2 positions which obviously impacts our
skills set.

Joan

How many
staff is there in MHF?

Jodie

17 within
both the Inspectorate Field Team and the Safety Analyst Team.  This
includes the Major Hazards Manager and the Group Leader of the Inspectorate
Field Team.  Three of those personnel within the Safety Analyst Team
work part time.

 

2014 we went
to Victorian Workcover Association branding. At the beginning of February
2015 it was announced we would go back to Worksafe branding.

 

 

Activities for
2014 included:-

·                 
Licenses assessed and renewed for 6 MHF’s

·                 
26 Annual Inspections and 5 Verifications

·                 
No incident classified as “Serious” by Major
Hazards in         2014

·                 
New independent chair appointed for the Major
Hazard Advisory Committee (MHAC). Its first meeting was held in December
2014.

 

 

All
activities can be found listed on the website.

Faye

Is there
random visiting of the sites?  Do you collect all the data relating to
the site?

Jodie

We do an
annual inspection every year on all the MHF’s.  We also have an
Oversight Program where they will get regular visits.  If we want
specific information we will go and ask the operators.  We physically go
out and look for the things we want to know.  Looking at the systems on
site, we choose randomly what we want to look at.

Faye

There must be
common denominators for each site?

Jodie

We really
could not do that as we are looking at possibly thousands of items.

Robin

Within the
group is there a list of high level risks that you concentrate on rather than
low level risks?

Jodie

We do not
look at it that way.  A site like this we could be looking for the
possibility of a fire for example in a tank farm.  Whereas others we
would look for something else.

Robin

Do you focus on
what is in their Safety Case?

Jodie

We look at
controls in place and whether they are satisfactory.  For example we may
look at manual handling tasks.  We cover all aspects of the OHS and DG
Regulations.

Faye

Would it help
if companies provided 30 data points from every site?

Jodie

If other
companies have similar things we will check across all those companies.

 

Keith Brown
is the new chair of MHAC. Attendees at the meeting held in December 2014
included PACIA, Unions, CFA, MFB.  Future meetings are scheduled for
March, July and November 2015.

 

Activities
planned for 2015 include:-

·                 
31 Annual Inspections and 2 Verifications and

·                 
2 MHF’s in assessment for re-licensing.

·                 
Due to changes to field team new risk based
approach is to     be implanted for 2015 Annual Inspections

·                 
Training of new MHF inspectors is underway
(internal and         external)

·                 
Developing a strategy for delivering
stakeholder training         prior to 4th
round

·                 
MHAC meetings scheduled for March, July and
November.

·                 
Review of Schedule 9 tables ongoing as part of
overall         2017 Regulations review

 

We have 5 new
field members.  Going to be “risk” based approach to basically determine
a minimum number of controls on each site to ensure we have enough
inspectors.

Don

Due to the
loss of skilled people do you see any delay in getting Safety Cases through?

Jodie

May need to
use consultants we know are capable that we have used before to do
assessment.  Trying to hold on to the 2 Principal Analysts as long as we
have budget to do so.

Faye

Do you
envisage the safety profile to be compromised using consultants?

Jodie

No.  We
would use consultants to undertake Safety Case assessment, as we have done in
previous re-licencing periods. The work of consultants is reviewed by current
Safety Analysts and each consultant is overseen by a Safety Analyst during the
assessment period.
 

Faye

There can be
problems with this I believe.

Jodie

We do not
have the resources internally to assess all of the safety cases that will be
submitted in the next licensing period.  Consultants have been used in
the past who are familiar with the process and what is expected.

Robin

Safety
Inspections – do you prioritise the detail of your inspections using a
risk based approach?

Jodie

We have
looked at the history of a particular site.  We will still be looking at
the major risk controls.  If they had a good history they will receive
fewer visits.

Robin

Has the
implementation of the MHF system proved to be effective?

Jodie

Yes

Robin

Has it been
copied from somewhere else?

Jodie

Yes Europe,
from incidents that happened in Europe, SEVESO.  Originally stems from
there.  Safety Cases have been off shore for a long time.

Robin

Has the Major
Hazard process been copied by any other states?

Jodie

Yes. 
Same regulations across the states.  Victoria was actually one of the
drivers of the National Model even though Victoria chose not to adopt
it.  Trying to aim for some consistency across the states.

Deb

We could
write to the government to push for the government to adopt the National
Model.

ACTION

Jodie to
enquire within Worksafe on the decision relating to adopting the National
Standards.

Robin

Lack of
supply of petroleum in Australia.  Is that an issue that Worksafe would
focus on?

Jodie

Only if
someone said they were going to build a Major Hazard Facility.

Robin

Is VIVA at
Geelong still a MHF?

Jodie

Yes we get
involved before any new MHF is going to build.

Robin

Thanks Jodie
for attending the meeting and for the interesting presentation.

 

ITEM 3.       CONFIRM DRAFT MINUTES
FOR THE MEETING 11th NOVEMBER, 2014          REVIEW
ACTION ITEM LIST

 

Draft Minutes
of the 11th November 2014 adopted.

 

Don

Mentioned to
the committee that George Horman is retiring.

ACTION

Robin to
write a letter of appreciation to be sent to George on behalf of the
committee.

10/2013/2

Don will talk
to Stephen again regarding the principles upon which Terminals policies are
founded.  Could be delayed until CEO appointed.

04/2014/1

Foti is
absent from meeting.  We are hoping he attends when Maribyrnong CEO
attends in May 2015.

11/2014/2

Solar panels
in the EIP.

Don

To make it
viable will need to have a base load (constant need for supply).  If we
have a base load we can then use the solar on that particular item.

 

The return on
paying it back into the grid is nowhere near where households get.

Bro

Best way is
to get 3 suppliers to put in a competitive bid.  Market very competitive
anyway.

Don

Good idea to
see if they come up with some aspects we have not thought about.

11/2014/4

Gary to draft
a new text about the history of Terminals facility at Coode Island for the CICCC
website.

Gary

I am looking
at the website with Cliftons who are going to do a complete overhaul of the
information.

Robin

The content
of the website is outdated.  We still need that content now.

Gary

We will get
onto it.

11/2014/3

Complete

11/201/5

Complete

 

ITEM 4.       PROGRESS
REPORT ON THE COMMUNITY GRANTS INITIATIVE          (TERMINALS
PTY LTD)

Sue

As per Stephen Walls’ response to
letter sent to him by Robin, I rang Mr Arden Joseph.  Mr Joseph’s
secretary referred me to Lynley Dumble (Manager Community Infrastructure and
Social Development) at the council.  When I rang Lynley she was not in
for the day, I then found an email address and sent her an email outlining
the Grants Program and requested her assistance in finding worthy recipients
within the community.

Lynley then replied and is happy to
help promote these grants to the local community groups.

 

ITEM 5.       REPORT
FROM TERMINALS AND AGENCIES

 

 

TERMINALS PTY LTD

Don

Appointments:

David Bozinoski, our CFO, has been
appointed Acting CEO for the interim due to George retirement with a view to the
appointment of a permanent CEO within about the next 6 months.

 

Doug Eng has been appointed the new Chief
Operating Officer

 

 

Don

Discussed the Severity 2 incidents.

 

Incident 11/12/14 – Contractor
strained back.  Action is to review contractor JSA’s.

 

Incident 17/12/14 – Over
pressurized hose flew off pig breach just missing operator.  Action is
to Tool Box meeting on risk of stored energy.  Also investigate a number
of passing valves.

Deb

What is a Tool Box?

Don

A Tool Box is an informal Safety
Meeting on topical items.  Use them to refresh everyone skills as over
time complacency sets in.

 

ENVIRONMENT
PROTECTION AUTHORITY

No report
received prior to the meeting.

 

ITEM 6.       REVIEW OF WEBSITE

 

Don

Website – Long term CICCC will
be part of Terminals website.

Robin

Feel that after receiving information
from Rob Black regarding interest in website; the data reflects that if CICCC
website was folded into Terminals site there would be 1% chance of people
finding the CICCC.

Don

I feel that CICCC would have been
getting a lot of people looking for ICC (cricket).  As a company we are
moving to a centralized website in the same location.  People will then
get the whole picture.

Robin

I think people know about Coode
Island.

Don

The new website will have all the
site names.  If someone types in Coode it will be included in the whole
Terminals website.

Robin

We need to update the content of the
website whether or not the hosting arrangements change.

Don

You will continue to have all
editorial rights.

Faye

If Coode Island is a lead word to
bring up CICCC in Terminals website that would be okay.

Bro

Nearly everyone does a google search
in their own words.  Making sure a descriptor is easy in key words.

Robin

Back in 1996 we established CICCC
principles and that was to be independent of Terminals.  Even agency
representatives did not sit at the main table at the first coupe of meetings. 
Notwithstanding that we do not have a proposal from Don yet.

Don

Will write something up for next time
we meet.

ACTION

Don to
prepare a proposal for the web site for the next meeting.

Robin

At the end of the day if is up to
Terminals to decide as they pay for the website.  If it was a view of
CICCC members that the CICCC web site be separate and not paid for by
Terminals, then I suspect the website would not continue.

I should draw attention to the large
number of visits that last less than 30 seconds

General discussion

Speculation about the reasons for
such visits, which due to the limited time are surely people looking for
other sites.

 

ITEM 7.       OTHER
BUSINESS

 

Robin

Visit by Laura Kewley interview of
Robin

 

Radio management wanted the interview
cut down to 4 minutes.  I have not heard anything more.  Would like
to have the committee’s endorsement to have the questions and answers of the
interview put on the CICCC website.

 

Agreed.

Bro

Maybe we also put on You Tube as well
as on the website.  If she has produced something that is having very
little use then put on You Tube.  Might be worthwhile raising the idea
with her.

Robin

I was thinking more of what was
available to us.

Don

Terminals have in the past conducted
Open Days.

Robin

Terminals has opened its sites for
inspections on several occasions and is now open to interested local resident
wishing to have a site tour.

Don

When you have completed the final
draft I would like to distribute to Terminals people.

ACTION

On receipt of copy of edited
Questions and Answers, Don to advise any comments from senior management.

ACTION

Robin to explore options for
making the material public with Laura.

Robin

Brendan Grimes rang a week ago he was
putting in an application for a Child Care Centre.  Looking for some
words of comfort that it was good being so close to Mobil as he was having
trouble with planning permit.  Would be situation on Hyde Street up
towards Mobil site, north of Mobil.  I told him that Terminals was a
well-managed site.

 

 

Robin

Received an email from Ian today
requesting we change the meetings back to the evenings and at the council
offices.

Ian

Practical terms sort of activity that
I would prefer to be conducted in the evenings.

Don

Put it to a vote and I put forward
that we stay with Tuesday meetings at Terminals at 3 pm.

Robin

What are the views of the Community
Members? Let’s start with the day of the week.

 

Tuesdays were agreed by consensus.

Faye

Maybe start later at 4pm

Bro

Happy to look at 4pm

 

Discussion then took place. Robin
suggested to Ian that he and Joan could share the load of day-time meetings,
which Ian responded to positively. In relation to the suggested 4pm starting
time, Terminals representatives pointed out that they have a very early start
each day, and a later start would add to the time they would be at work.

Robin then suggested that the 3pm at
Terminals site office be adopted

Robin

Confirming meetings to be held on
Tuesdays at Terminals @ 3pm – Agreed beginning August 2015 meeting.

 

Joan Thomas may be proxy at meetings
for Ian.

 

Next meeting 12th May
to be at Maribyrnong Council offices.

 

NEXT SCHEDULED
MEETINGS:

12 MAY, 2015 (
at MARIBYRNONG CITY COUNCIL)

18TH AUGUST, 2015 (ON SITE AT COODE ISLAND)

24TH NOVEMBER, 2015 (ON SITE AT COODE ISLAND)

 

MEETING CLOSED 5:15pm